Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    does anyone else feel that NFPs resemble NTJs more than NFJs?
    Highly depends on their own preference, I feel. Though you probably won't agree, I've been called NFJ a lot more than NTJ
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Glycerine

I like it in general but I think the two most neurotic people I have EVER met have been ENFPs.... they put me to shame in that aspect. just sayin'. Speaking of which, I have to go see one of them today and she intimidates the crap out of me. A neurotic 8w7 ENFP is an interesting sight to behold.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    I like it in general but I think the two most neurotic people I have EVER met have been ENFPs.... they put me to shame in that aspect. just sayin'. Speaking of which, I have to go see one of them today and she intimidates the crap out of me. A neurotic 8w7 ENFP is an interesting sight to behold.
    my ENFP cousin is neurotic as hell. he sometimes reminds me of a pregnant woman lol

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

my ENFP cousin is neurotic as hell. he sometimes reminds me of a pregnant woman lol
    The Big 5 Neuroticism scale doesn't correlate to any of the MBTI dichotomies... so I think it's orthogonal to MBTI type. Also, exactly what one means by "neurotic" varies... the facets of neuroticism for Big 5 (at least on the Revised NEO Personality Inventory) are things like: Anxiety, Hostility, Depression, Self-Consciousness, Impulsiveness, and Vulnerability to Stress. So I could see different MBTI types correlating to different facets of neuroticism.

For example, my overall level of neuroticism isn't too high, but I score highest on self-consiousness and depression (although I haven't been depressed in years).

Diving into Ni-space Crescent Fresh's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

enneagram plays a big role...ENFP 2s can seem like ENFJs, ...
    You're a genius!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    i can imagine that being fairly terrifying like... ENFP stuck in infinite Ne-Te looping with emphasis on the (unrefined) Te...

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour
    facets of neuroticism for Big 5 (at least on the Revised NEO Personality Inventory) are things like: Anxiety, Hostility, Depression, Self-Consciousness, Impulsiveness, and Vulnerability to Stress. So I could see different MBTI types correlating to different facets of neuroticism.
    huh, that's really interesting. how do they group all of those things into one category? i would be high anxiety, low hostility, medium depression, high self-consciousness, medium impulsiveness, low vulnerability to stress... i usually score high on neuroticism in the big 5 though. which is part of why i hate the big 5.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

An ENFP in an Ne-Te loop is terrifying to some people. Thank god I only go there under stress or if I feel threatened. It's a remarkable survival technique, I've found in my own experience, but it doesn't make people like you.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    huh, that's really interesting. how do they group all of those things into one category? i would be high anxiety, low hostility, medium depression, high self-consciousness, medium impulsiveness, low vulnerability to stress... i usually score high on neuroticism in the big 5 though. which is part of why i hate the big 5.
    There's a pretty good chapter on the Big Five here (unfortunately it's a scanned PDF, so is a bit tedious to read) if you are interested in more than the wikipedia Big 5 page. It includes information about how they came up with the Big 5. Page 126 (page 13 of the PDF) has some alternative ways facets have been defined.

Since the Big Five was developed more as a taxonomy and was developed by statistical analysis of the language people use to describe personality (and has been validated across languages). It's not entirely satisfying as a theory... since it lacks any kind of actual theoretical framework. However, it's by far and away the most researched and validated personality trait system out there. Four of the five Big Five traits correspond to MBTI dichotomies (although the Big Five traits aren't dichotomous, but follow a normal distribution). There have been a number of threads on the Big Five on on the forums, so you can also search around a bit if you are curious.

I agree that the neuroticism scale is a turn off (where's the up side?)... but I find the facets of neuroticism kind of helpful as categories.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    I agree that the neuroticism scale is a turn off (where's the up side?)... but I find the facets of neuroticism kind of helpful as categories.
    I read somewhere that there IS an upside to neuroticism. I can't remember what is was though... . Strangely enough, I want to say it had something to do with productivity in chaotic environments, due to interpreting the good/bad of situations more readily .
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe