User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    nerd

i treat it like my living room.

MBTI
    ENFP

Depression is a horrible, horrible thing.
    To be honest, I never really knew how to deal with it. I just lived with it, and suffered with it. I tried a lot of things.
    Talking to people didn't seem to help, because it seemed as if no one truly understood. It was as if they could not fully sympathize, and empathize.

I deal with it now with medication. Horrible, TRUE depression is like cancer. You can't just ignore it, and if you do, it gets worse. The worse it gets, the harder it is to fix. Once you're near rock bottom, not much else can help you.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post
    it's really not actually that bad of an idea. get pissed at the day and do something with it. it's still better than doing nothing. assuming you don't, you know, do anything violent.

i'm going through a light episode of depression myself right now. it blows. i'll let you know if i find anything that works along the way... right now i think mine is a combination of major disappointment major and analysis paralysis. problem being i have to make some really big decisions to move forward, and i'm really in no state of mind to make them, but i don't think i will return to the right state of mind until i make them. catch-22.

MBTI
    INFJ

I want to echo what some of the earlier posters said. I think that starting with 1) exercise 2) good nutrition 3) proper sleep and 4) forcing yourself to do the things that are fun to you (me: novels, coffee, exercise, plays, happy hours, movies, any kind of performing arts) are the right ways to start. Sometimes these alone bring more clarity on good strategies to work with the underlying issue, if there is one. Other things, like affirmations, can help if it is specific things (like negative thinking or insecurity) that are getting in your way of feeling less blue. And - realize that you deserve to feel good. You deserve to feel happy and like yourself and your life.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by fripping View Post
    i treat it like my living room.
    Hey, fripping!

Anyway, I was thinking about this. And much of my depression (I believe) comes from shame. I think I will roll around in it like a gleeful pig. I will make it my river to swim. Every morning when I wake up and embrace shame, like a smelly old grandma I love. Shame will become my happy home.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Huxley's advice was good...

Specifically related to my personality (and maybe NFPs in general?), simultaneously seeking some kind of novelty/change is important, along with a semblance of structure, often via routine. They sound at odds, but the latter offers the stability & motivation you need to get out of a rut (as routine often involves some kind of obligation to others), and the former inspires you. Also, I find focusing mentally on other people useful; when you're depressed, it's easy to be absorbed in your own problems & feelings. Interacting with & considering other people can counteract that.

As implied by the others, you have to force yourself, joylessly at first, to do these things, just to break the cycle, and then one day you'll suddenly realize you don't feel so bad anymore & actually do enjoy them.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I do agree with Huxley too. It's very excellent advice.

What I said, I guess, is more esoteric type stuff; like if you are lost in a wilderness.

Or maybe like when you are stranded on an island with Wilson the soccer ball.

Or working on farm in a rural area.

More recommendations or specifics on "Getting out of your head" requested.