User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    infp

Default What inspires you to write?

If you are a writer, what is it that inspires you to write when you do? I am referring to both beginning writing as a hobby, and the specific event of writing on a day to day basis.

Do you write out of habit, or are there specific moods you must enter, or things you must experience, in order to write?

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I've done various kinds of writing both professionally and for my own satisfaction.

If it's professionally, I'm inspired to write by the fact that I have to, basically. actually, it has always helped me when others set deadlines for me. But I don't think that's really what you're getting at.

I used to write fiction but haven't for several years. Basically, I think I am a good writer stylistically but I tend to have a lack of creative ideas plot-wise...it is just not my thing...I have often talked with friends about this, since many of them say they have plotlines coming out of their ears but can't write to save their soul. I think we should get together and collaborate.

These days my main form of creative expression is poetry and I think it is really my voice. It seems to me to get closer to the truth of the way things are than any other form of writing, and maybe even any form of art...yeah, I'm that obsessed.

I read a lot of poetry (mostly modern, like WB Yeats and after) and that gets the juices flowing. I find I am often inspired to write poems about places I have visited, though it's usually after the visit, not while I am there. Also, whether the ostensible subject of the poem is a city I have visited, or anything else, it usually unfolds my subconscious to me in a very interesting way...I mean, I will be writing, and I think I know what the subject is, but by the time the poem is complete, I realise that more than the place I'd visited (or whatever) the poem is about whatever is on my mind - whatever it may be - questions of relationships, ethics, specific people I'm obsessing about whose shadow creeps into the poem, etc...

One of my resolutions is to force myself to write more, though. It's like anything, you can't just rely on inspiration. I think I need to set myself some exercises and just write - even if a lot of it is not much good, at least I will be writing and revising and developing and practising...
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I've only written short fan fiction (as of now, I plan on wiriting a book in the future) but the process of it, bringing to life all the ideas within my head onto paper, the realm of limitless creation and possibility, it is a pleasure that no other can stand up to.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    If you are a writer, what is it that inspires you to write when you do? I am referring to both beginning writing as a hobby, and the specific event of writing on a day to day basis.

Do you write out of habit, or are there specific moods you must enter, or things you must experience, in order to write?
    I usually am only strongly driven to write during a big life changing trauma, dramatic times, and times of extreme sadness. The boring and happy life is not inspiring... (Would rather be boring and happy and not write, for the record.)
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I've done various kinds of writing both professionally and for my own satisfaction.

If it's professionally, I'm inspired to write by the fact that I have to, basically. actually, it has always helped me when others set deadlines for me. But I don't think that's really what you're getting at.

I used to write fiction but haven't for several years. Basically, I think I am a good writer stylistically but I tend to have a lack of creative ideas plot-wise...it is just not my thing...I have often talked with friends about this, since many of them say they have plotlines coming out of their ears but can't write to save their soul. I think we should get together and collaborate.

These days my main form of creative expression is poetry and I think it is really my voice. It seems to me to get closer to the truth of the way things are than any other form of writing, and maybe even any form of art...yeah, I'm that obsessed.

I read a lot of poetry (mostly modern, like WB Yeats and after) and that gets the juices flowing. I find I am often inspired to write poems about places I have visited, though it's usually after the visit, not while I am there. Also, whether the ostensible subject of the poem is a city I have visited, or anything else, it usually unfolds my subconscious to me in a very interesting way...I mean, I will be writing, and I think I know what the subject is, but by the time the poem is complete, I realise that more than the place I'd visited (or whatever) the poem is about whatever is on my mind - whatever it may be - questions of relationships, ethics, specific people I'm obsessing about whose shadow creeps into the poem, etc...

One of my resolutions is to force myself to write more, though. It's like anything, you can't just rely on inspiration. I think I need to set myself some exercises and just write - even if a lot of it is not much good, at least I will be writing and revising and developing and practising...
    I'm the same way. I can paint a picture with writing, but if I try to make a plot or point/ the style gets lost.

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I usually am only strongly driven to write during a big life changing trauma, dramatic times, and times of extreme sadness. The boring and happy life is not inspiring... (Would rather be boring and happy and not write, for the record.)
    This, although to a lesser extent, I do sometimes like to write when I'm happy too, if want to remember something good or funny that happened or an important lesson I learned, I will sometimes write about it in my journal.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    This, although to a lesser extent, I do sometimes like to write when I'm happy too, if want to remember something good or funny that happened or an important lesson I learned, I will sometimes write about it in my journal.
    Yea, same here. The writing style is just usually more factual, like a news report, if I'm in a happy mode.

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I used to write very regularly in a journal. From the ages of 14-24 or so I wrote almost every day, and usually at least a couple of pages. If not every day, at least 3-4 times a week. Then till I was about 27-28 I wrote about once or twice every few weeks. It's pretty much gone by the wayside now, though over the last few years I have desperately needed to vent a few times and wrote like 12 pages at a go (which I sometimes did when younger too.)

Sometimes I think I'm just too lazy now but it is a measure of how my life has changed. I used to not talk about my feelings with anyone, and I had a lot of fairly private obsessions (crushes on literary figures and the like, haha) so I wrote pages and pages and pages to work things out for myself. In my twenties my life got busier, and I acquired a wider circle of friends, and I have a few people in my life I can often talk things out with, and I really prefer that. I even think email and Facebook have changed my habits in that regard too. I like interaction now and you don't get that with a journal. But in some ways I miss it - it's like a big part of my life that is largely behind me.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I'm the same way. I can paint a picture with writing, but if I try to make a plot or point/ the style gets lost.
    ONe thing I enjoyed, though - I went through a real obsession with Arthurian legend (kind of specialized in it while doing my English lit degree) and I managed to get a short story published which was based on one of the legends/stories. I really enjoyed that. Taking an old story, tweaking it and playing with it, making the characters my own. If I start writing fiction again, it would probably be something like that, based on an old story or legend with some innovations of my own, and creating characters I'm interested in based on already existing figures.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Making people laugh. I LOVE to make people laugh.. if I can bust out a humorous observation of life
    that is laced with humility...
    and post it on my facebook or read it to my friends and family..
    if it makes one person that i care about laugh for 3 minutes and forget how drab or miserable their life is,
    if it can help them realize for just a second what is really important,
    or that they are not alone.. in this great cosmic joke..
    Then I am happy... and that is why i write. =)
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts