User Tag List

First 12

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

oooo...I haven't written in ages. I sort of get consumed with day to day issues at the moment. Although I did go on a writing binge not too long ago, when I had this really weird and complex dream. It took me a long time to get it all down on paper. I'm letting it stew for a bit, as it's quite different from anything else I ever written.
    I tend to write when I have a pretty stable routine. It helps me escape from the daily humdrum of life. I don't really get time to day dream at the moment. I kinda miss the city and commuting for that. Nothing does wonders for my creativity than having nothing else to do, but day dream.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFP

I have been told by numerous (MANY) people that I write very well. However, I have not written any pieces in a very long time.

What inspires me to write? Things that spark my imagination. Interesting places, situations - specifically the bizarre, including architect, people, nature, etc.

Sitting at the fair at night, watching all the colorful lights against the dark sky is enough to inspire me.

When I'm bored, sitting in a public place, and I begin to imagine odd things.. Like sudden zombie invasion.

MBTI
    ENTP

Amateur writer here I'm always inventing stories. I'm imagining landscapes, cultures,... Mostly they start from a rather abstract idea (*), but as soon as I've got some characters I'll get scenes and dialogues in my mind. And then I'm writing them down. Well, what else should I do with them?

(*) My very first book, "De zes snaren" (it's in Dutch) has begun with this website: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~imcfadyen/fantasy.html. The site made me want to write a fantasy story where everything went "wrong": the prophesy was false, the dumb sidekick who didn't understand magic turned out to be right but nobody listened to him because he was only a dumb sidekick,... Of course, I had to make this idea a lot more concrete, with specific characters and conflicts and a specific false prophesy.

Inspiration comes from observation. I see two customers quarreling in the mall, I get images of characters quarreling. I read Harry Potter, I think the magic is inconsistent with physics, I make a new magic system and use it in a story of my own. History books are also very inspiring.
    The best motivation is external pressure. A cold unromantic deadline works the best for me... And then I can write everywhere.
    I thought before I had to be in the mood for writing, but that isn't the case. Writing gets me into the mood for writing.

A bit of time ago I made a group for amateur writers... it's here: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...hp?groupid=122 The discussions have died down, but I'm certainly willing to start them up again.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w3

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    ...I did go on a writing binge not too long ago, when I had this really weird and complex dream. It took me a long time to get it all down on paper... Nothing does wonders for my creativity than having nothing else to do, but day dream.
    This is pretty much how it ends up for me. Sometimes I have incredibly crazy complex dreams, and I write and think about them for weeks, but then I don't have another good dream for a couple months, so I really don't write very frequently. A lot of the stuff that I do write is a mixture between my dreams and my day dreams, then I get all crazy and let it spiral from there. The thing is, I have never really been good at getting anywhere with my writing. Mostly I write short things filled with emotion, or something that paints another world in front of you, but as soon as I try and expand further, it's gone. But I never mind. I only write because I enjoy to, my spelling and grammar are terrible.

MBTI
    infp

Interesting responses. I want to make a habit of writing a little bit, in some way, every day. I already do that in a sense on this forum, but I mean write more about ideas and create stories. I suppose my concern then isn't, in fact, the inspiration to write, but the inspiration of ideas. But that happens randomly! haha

Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

I would say I write rather compulsively and always have, if I don't have some medium to express myself (be it a journal, a blog, comments on Facebook, a forum) I go rather nuts. I constantly have imagery, ideas, stories, and characters bouncing around inside my head at all times, if I'm not writing I'm performing. It's hard for me to imagine any other way of being. I don't say that like it's some superlative that makes me special, I don't think it is. I personally had a rather traumatic childhood and the creativity, getting lost inside fictional worlds, was my coping mechanism. It's that blessing and a curse thing. I wound up with this innate creative streak because of something terrible, but it has been the saving grace and something that made it all worth it.

So it's hard to say exactly what 'inspires' me because for me the desire to create things and bring the stuff in my head to life is honestly the same as breathing. Music is definitely a cornerstone of my creativity and always has been. I'll hear a song and something in either the melody or lyrics will ignite something in my head, and before I know it some tale is unfolding in my mind. In terms of writing, I'd say music is my number one muse. Especially new music (or, rather, music that is new to me). I dig around everywhere looking for fodder, until I hit on an artist that makes sparks and sets of vivid imagery in my head.

I'm also inspired by simply reading books that knock me on my ass or seeing movies that have a similar effect. I'm a glutton for music, movies, and books. Also, it might sound odd, but I get a lot of inspiration reading over chats and emails with friends, or all the stuff I jot down in notebooks (or note taking documents on my computer) about everything that goes on around me. It might sound diabolical, but everyone around me is potential for characters. I don't value them just for that of course, but they are usually gold mines to me. Even people I can't stand give me great stuff.

For me, I think the most important thing has been allowing myself to gravitate toward what sparks my own personal imagination without censoring or talking myself out of it. I don't particularly like instructional manuals on writing or classes about it, they're often so pragmatic as if there is ONE true way to write and I personally think that is the biggest load of crap. I think it's just a matter of tapping into all the things you love most and are most passionate about, and letting them guide you toward the things you want to write about, no matter what they are.

For instance, I grew up with a fascination with Old West history and just obsessively read about it from the time I was ten. This just seemed to be an odd obsession but in my adult life, it has proven to be an element in my fiction that I love including. I don't write strictly about the Old West, but it's like one of the passions I had that mixes with other particular passions to create something new, if that makes sense. Sort of like how Joss Whedon took his own love of Civil War culture and mixed it with his love of space travel to create 'Firefly'. I think the best writing comes when it's deeply based in all the things the writer loves rather than being approached like a math problem that has a finite sum if certain variables are added together.

I think the key to finding out what inspires you is to just think of all the things over your entire life that made you the happiest, that captured you're imagination like a house on fire, that built your character the most whether they were good times or bad ones. Sounds hokey and it might be, but that's just my personal take
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    I suppose my concern then isn't, in fact, the inspiration to write, but the inspiration of ideas. But that happens randomly! haha
    Trigger, trigger, trigger that Ne! Don't try to "create ideas" but do something else instead. Ideas always come when you don't have the time. Jot them down (I've got some small dummybooks for that and I take them *everywhere*) and, when time is there and the ideas aren't, take your scribbles and try to make something out of them.
    I've got plenty of ideas but most of them are useless for the story I'm working on at the moment. To get the ideas I need, I'd make a list of whatever is needed for the story (mostly things like "go from A to B" or "give character a reason for beginning that quest") and then I'd do manual work to take the pressure of my mind. It doesn't guarantee anything, but at least for me it has greatly improved the chance of coming up with useful ideas.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

Diving into Ni-space Crescent Fresh's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

The only inspiration to me is people and their daily experience, who I felt strongly connected to, or an artisitic or intellectual figure who I admire and respect (my latest obsession is Darren Aronofsky).

Though I do not write to share. Which means, I write in personal blog and make it invisible and only I can read them.

The reason? Most of my writing is to reflect my most painful moments and I take writing as a self-therapeutic discovery of my awareness of my deep emotions.