User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENFP

Default Do ENFP's have trouble imagining the future?

I don't get excited or nervous, (for the most part) about any events in the future. For all of my ability to imagine things that never happened having happened, i can't imagine myself a year from now at all.

Is this typical of ENFPs or just me?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Hmmm...I always have tons of plans for the future, but I can't psychicly "know" what I'll be doing a year from now, because of how open I am to possibilities.

I can totally imagine, I just don't "know" because of my flexibility and need to adapt and change.

Ni is the function that just KNOWS, I WILL BE HERE, because they'll stay hyper-focused on making it happen, or something. Ni vision.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Good luck!

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Emectar View Post
    I don't get excited or nervous, (for the most part) about any events in the future. For all of my ability to imagine things that never happened having happened, i can't imagine myself a year from now at all.

Is this typical of ENFPs or just me?
    I get excited about events.. but mostly events that are not too far in the future. Like... a party next week. Going to a concert friday night.. stuff like that. I get excited about a vacation to vegas 3 months from now. I do not typically get REALLY excited about far into the future, because like you I am just not sure if this will pan out. Infact, I don't even really try to imagine it like in depth.. because with Ne I think there are a kazillion places i *could be* 1 yr from now.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Emectar View Post
    For all of my ability to imagine things that never happened having happened, i can't imagine myself a year from now at all.
    Sounds more like a Si mindset....the past is colored in subjective interpretations that can outright distort reality into something that never occurred.

I'm not ENFP, but as an NFP, and I imagine the future easily, and that's mostly what I do when I think about real life. I honestly avoid thinking about the past & hate to rehash stuff in my head (the healthier I am emotionally, the less I "relive" anything), the near future is so near that I prefer to wait & see (I don't like to plan my weekend in detail, for instance), and so the distant future holds the most appeal for dwelling on, as it holds the most promise for real change.

I tend to imagine various scenarios, how something going on now could play out, and I even construct absurdly ideal situations that I know will never be (just for the fun of it).
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

I spend far more time speculating about future possibilities than I spend in the present moment, so no

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i have several different visions being rearranged all the time but the knowing feeling isn't there because i understand that it's important to adjust to new circumstances...but future planning...dreams yes constantly....but nothing that feels definite.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

no, we have trouble acting on our insights into the future

endless possibilities. and when i narrow something down,
    bam: another set of possibilities. it's quite fantastic.
    sometimes the day dreamy kind offers a great 'nothing is
    impossible' kick to it. but i think what helps in the quality of
    imagining is how rooted i am in making it happen. making
    it a reality, getting it out of my head and into my hands.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I'd say that on average, ENFP's (well at least me anyway) usually are great at actively considering scenarios that could theoretically occur in the future, but the accuracy of those thoughts aren't as accurate or precise as Ni is.