Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

No - we aren't normal.

However, it's quite normal for us to behave randomly and eccentrically; there's nothing like withdrawing from college and randomly moving 3,000 miles away from home and still managing to find jobs that relate to one's major and being able to work from home.

That's ENFP power, right there. Normal is overrated.

^I think that's fairly normal (and admirable). I just don't think every Ne dom is like Kool Keith. He's awesome, but God help us if they are. He's crazy enough that outsiders threw him in a mental hospital once (same with me, but that's beside the point.. ahem).

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

If I had stayed in West Virginia, trust me, someone would have thrown me into a mental hospital eventually.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

But is it typical for an ENFP to wake up at 30 and suddenly realize they've built a life that they don't want?
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I would say so, especially if they didn't give enough credence to what they actually wanted in life at a younger age.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

What about "finding yourself".

I mentioned the trial and error with no strategy before. Is it common for Enfps & Infps to TRY everything before they can know how they feel about it or where they stand?

Is that more an ENFP thing.. like externally measuring yourself with the world.. no stopping to really think about how you feel about it before doing it... or do INFP's have this dilema too?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yes, I have had 3,897 jobs, have lived in several different states, have randomly visited others on a whim, have lived in varying situations ranging from upper-middle class to barely surviving in poverty, have hung out in bars and at spiritual retreats, and have done just about anything humanly possible that wasn't limited by my finances (the only reason why I haven't actually been all over the entire world).

I think the closer to 30 you get, though, the more and more you're centered in who you are and what you want. I think trying to pin down a very young ENFP to anything at all is a mistake.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

NFP's

What jobs have you had that you LOVED?

I worked as an investigator for a financial firm, locating vehicles that were long out for repo. I LOVED this job. I had a monthly deadline, and aside from that worked at my own pace totally. I used whatever resources I could find to track people down. I even got to drive past peoples homes, works, bars, gyms, etc looking for the vehicle.

I've thought about journalism, people used to tell me I'd make a good newcaster actually.. but I find the field just saturated with competition.. and don't REALLY have that much passion for news.

I think my perfect job would be to travel the world, and do videos or pictures of other cultures. Finding local 'hotspots' and interesting things to do, eat, stay, etc.. then putting it into a magazine or airing it. <----- Dream job!

I've also thought that I'd like to put out holisitic health magazine.. debunking the practices that don't really work but EMPHASIZING practices that do. Natural remedies. Studies that support mind over matter.

I've tried to write a childrens book in the past.. and I would love to have my own comic like The Oatmeal. Have you see that? Hilarious!!

Still, I think I would be good in counseling.. as a marriage counselor, addictions counselor, group type counseling. I went to school for social work but dropped off at the end because I didn't like the red tape involved... so much red tape!

I have heard that NFPS can do really well in Nursing. Its always changing, you can be a travel nurse (AWESOME!) you get paid really well, you work with people, you are always changing it up with little routine.. you can move to any field if you get burnt out.. so I am applied to a nursing program, with the intention of becoming a travel nurse.. This is a fantastic way to combine travel and job.. you can even do 6 month contracts.. eventually when I do settle down a bit more I'd think i would like to work specefically in gynecological or psychiatric nursing. My goal is that someday I will be able to teach nursing at a college part time, and work the rest of the time actually nursing, or even researching things.

^^^ see that... this is HOW and WHY and ENFP mind can get fucked up on the carreer aspect. Soo manythings to do! So many awesome, amazing things to do! DO you know HOW many other possibilities I've had to consider and weed out just to get to these ideas?

What are your ideal jobs?

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Yes, I have had 3,897 jobs, have lived in several different states, have randomly visited others on a whim, have lived in varying situations ranging from upper-middle class to barely surviving in poverty, have hung out in bars and at spiritual retreats, and have done just about anything humanly possible that wasn't limited by my finances (the only reason why I haven't actually been all over the entire world).

I think the closer to 30 you get, though, the more and more you're centered in who you are and what you want. I think trying to pin down a very young ENFP to anything at all is a mistake.
    SO TRUE. Trying to pin an ENFP down. My 5 yr INFJ tried to pin me down to marriage at 22! He was 5 yrs older. I ended up breaking up with him and then he stalked me for 3 months.. full out stalking.. i had to have him removed from my apartment twice by the police! It was so sad. He wasn't a bad guy at all. He just couldn't take the end. I think he felt like he had wasted a tremendous amount of time if we didn't actually marry. =( I know two ENFP guys.. both married prior to 25 and are NOW divorced.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I think the "crazy" aspect of Ne is a bit overstated. Ne is more about building holistic viewpoints and juxtaposition than anything. Someone started a thread on Ne music the other day, and I thought it best to present normal and funnier sides to it. It can come in the form of stringing random ideas in an overt, kind of comical way, but Fi gives people an anchor point too. Many have a lot of depth or gravity in their concerns. Some can come off as simply versatile, or kind of universalistic (Lauryn Hill comes to mind as an XNFP. She's far from, say, Peter Griffin. Heh. Who I think is ENTP anyways).
    indeed. i don't think i am quite the nutty rainbow thunderstorm that E/NFPs are often characterized to be. i mean, sometimes, sure, but not always. the thing about Ne online is that it has so many sources of stimulation and so much area to "play". in application IRL, there are more external parameters - more consistent/focused information - and you have a more pointed goal that your J functions are directing you to. so there's that just gentle floaty sort of intuitive universal connection, and then there's the "useful" sort of Ne that helps you around complex situations.

and then there's the batshit insane that comes out to play when you don't have any realistic parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    But is it typical for an ENFP to wake up at 30 and suddenly realize they've built a life that they don't want?
    i think it's normal for everyone to have periods in their lives at which they realize that what they have is not what they want. all of life is ebb and flow. our priorities change... even day to day. there are days you love your life and can't imagine doing anything else, and then there are days that are like the fuck am i doing? your priorities may have slowly changed over time, you know? and perhaps if you'd been more in touch with Fi you would have known, but even Fi is not steady. it slowly changes with the information Ne gives it, like a sand dune in the wind. i think one of the challenges of Ne, at least for myself, is differentiating the day-to-day "i'm bored!" from the larger scale "i need to change".

as for your ISTP... how do you feel about the relationship otherwise, huxley? is there a way of finagling around the issue a bit, like adopting an older child, or do you want a baby? what's been hard about getting out of the relationship - feelings, practicalities? sorry you've run into that, it must be hard

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    What jobs have you had that you LOVED?
    editing. editing is pretty great. someone gives me something and i get to tell them everything that's wrong with it

anything utilizing communication skills, though, i am good at. i always thought it'd be really cool to be the person who gets obscure scientific research translated into language laypeople and kids can understand. i also loved working on a ranch, with kids. i don't know if i could do it as a primary job... i felt a little cut off from the world. but it was pretty wonderful. i lived to ride the horses.

hypothetically - i think travel nursing would be awesome too. i think i would love gyn/obstetrics or neonatal or peds. i could see being a doctor. or a counselor. i definitely want to teach (college) at some point. i think i would be a good college advisor as well, or career counselor. i like planning. i'd be a good stylist. i have also considered law. i have been advised that going into computers is a good idea, too, and i could certainly see that.

obviously i have not decided yet! i would like to though. i really would like to dedicate myself to something. to challenge myself to stick to it, too. i just need to decide what...! i am hesitant to pin myself down, as you guys have talked about... i am afraid of investing a lot of time and money into something that won't make me happy in the longterm. i suppose a J would say that i need to choose to be happy with it. but i don't know if i can make it work that way.