User Tag List

View Poll Results: What are you, NFs?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Religious

9 18.37%
  • Spiritual

34 69.39%
  • Non-spiritual (only believes in science)

6 12.24%
First 45678 Last

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I voted spiritual, although I could have voted atheist as well. I guess the "believe's only in science" made the difference.

For me science has been an important "hobby" since I was ten or something. But as I went through it I started to see the limits of it. Then I read some philosophies, and it became even more clear that science is just a perspective, and not even the most relevant to an individual. If you look at the world through human eyes, the first things you notice are all the things around you, the concrete things. Another part of your experience are the memories and thoughts, which you also "see" in some way in this moment. And part of them is science. This makes science less important than my direct experience and less important than the memories and thoughts as a whole. And what's more, since my view of the world is subjective, it would be silly to say that inside that subjective field is an objective part, which is science. Actually, science is just a democratic subjective field of a group of people called scientists. Of course the scientific view can be a lot more accurate or true on many areas than my experience, but still, it is not as relevant as the subjective view. I think the failure to see this is what leads many people to depression. If you look at your subjective existence through objectivity failing to see that that objectivity is rather narrow slice of the total experience, you are bound to see yourself as something small and unimportant.

This doesn't actually seem to have much to do with spirituality, but in some ways it does. For example, it frees me up to listen to that little voice that keeps silent whenever the mind is having one of its endless monologues.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ultimawepun View Post
    This option sounds negative. You should've added another option:

Non-spiritual, but philosophical.
    Yeah... I agree. I'm loving it though that I'm only one of two who voted non-spiritual (although am also kind of surprised; but from all of the posts from those who voted 'spiritual', the term covers vast territory indeed and as a result you really don't know what someone is referring to when they say they're spiritual). I voted non-spiritual only because, truth be told, I'm NOT spiritual compared to most who consider themselves to be spiritual. But yes, I think the Non-spiritual description in the OP sucks, and it's not that I exactly fit that either. I just think I fit it a bit more than that of the spiritual one.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ENFJ

I'm sorry you think my description sucks
    Maybe some clever Ts (or scientists) can make a better poll?
    Maybe I should have had a disclaimer in my first post:
    "This is not a scientific survey, it's just for fun."

Maybe I just should have simplified it?
    Like:
    Are you spiritual?
    - YES, I'm a believer, and I have a bible
    - HMM, open to the idea, or several ideas, and I prefer to define for myself
    - NO, but I'm still a considerate and philosophical person
    (Can't remember stating that people who believe most of all in science lack these qualities in the first place, but sorry for that too.)

Still, thanks for all the answers
    It's so wonderful how so many of you give such elaborate and fascinating insights about your own spirituality

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I'm sorry, : I wasn't directing that at you as a person, it was really more my own frustration that 'Spiritual' tends to cover pretty much everything under the sun, such that I really have no idea what an individual means when they say they are spiritual. For example, in including agnosticism under spiritual, you may then be including a whole lot of people who aren't practicing and don't believe in anything at all, outside of granting that it is possible. So you have agnostics in the same group as those who are actually incredibly devout but are opposed to organized religion, who are in the same group as those who mix various things but still hold firm in whatever it is they believe.

Also, the 'only science' slant of the non-spiritual description seemed somewhat negative in tone and also seemed a little limiting as to the 'why' for why someone isn't spiritual. But, that's just me.

Anyway, I'm sorry. Thanks for reminding me that the poll is for fun - I guess with this subject, having only three groupings means there's a lot that is open to interpretation under what falls under each - you know?
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ENFJ

OK - thanks

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w4

The poll is almost certainly a false dichotomy. One can be labeled as spiritual without subscribing to any sort of spirituality. Moreover, non-spiritual =/= scientism. You do not have to be spiritual or religious to engage in the mysteries of your own mind through introspection (i.e. meditation). Consciousness is an oftentimes spiritual machine that will only confuse us more as we continue to make discoveries about it.
    MBTI: INxP
    Enneagram: 5w4
    Multiple Intelligence: Linguistic/verbal, intrapersonal.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ENFJ

*Still waiting for someone to create a better poll*
    *Praying for more Ni in the world*

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

There have been many similar polls in this forum as well as the Philosophy/Religion forum and maybe the Bonfire too; I don't have time to search right now, I just know I've answered things like this several times on here before.

I think typically the polls have many more options though - several of the world religions listed out, then 'Spiritual but not religious' (which I always interpreted as either being a pretty solid believer in some higher power/post-death situation, either separate from organized religion or a personalized blend/view of various things) , then 'Agnostic', then 'Atheist', then 'Other', and other sorts of options like that.

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    There have been many similar polls in this forum as well as the Philosophy/Religion forum and maybe the Bonfire too; I don't have time to search right now, I just know I've answered things like this several times on here before.
    ^
    syndatha, also this for those of us who have been here a long time..., but I contributed to this latest incarnation of the topic anyway because I like to reorganize my thoughts on the weightier issues of life routinely to see where I stand.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I knew you NFs were mystical creatures