• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other] NFs, would you marry an atheist?

NFs, would you marry an atheist?

• NO - I'm an INFJ

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • NO - I'm an ENFJ

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • NO - I'm an INFP

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • NO - I'm an ENFP

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • YES - I'm an INFJ

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • YES - I'm an ENFJ

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • YES - I'm an INFP

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • YES - I'm an ENFP

Votes: 22 19.5%

• Total voters

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
while I agree that all data has to be considered I think you probably select the bits you want to believe in.

Perhaps *some* do, but I mentioned these things randomly because they are interesting studies, and not because I believe them to be neccissarily true. I'm agnostic.. which means I DONT believe there is enough proof available to know one way or the other.

You're not a judge and atheism isn't illegal

This was poorly conveyed on my behalf in haste. OFCOURSE i'm not a judge and it's not illegal. And I have no qualm with any friend, family member, etc.. being an atheist. I was referring specifically to my. future. partner. Which is someone who would probably hold to a higher standard in astleast the sense that they understand me, and I them. I could not understand how they could conclude that NOTHING exists beyond death, outside of logic, etc. If they had this view through some misunderstanding, some lame attempt to counter the religious extremists, some difficulty grasping that logic is not the end all, then I could forgive this *misguided conclusion*. But if they were a die hard atheist, and they beleived NOTHING exists outside of logic, and turned there head to any other possibility, i could not forgive such a *limitation of their mind.*

I think that vision of the 'reedeeming atheist' is probably more of an urban legend than anything else by the way. I always hear religious types talk about it but I have yet to see it happen or see any data backing it up. If anyone has any study on the topic it'd be cool.

An urband legend? So your saying that NO ONE has ever changed? I really hate to get into personal ex. because they mean nada. But this is a category that 4 very close people to me have fallen into. My grandfather and his 3 best friends. All ENTJ/INTJ/INTP. All atheists. All picked on the theists for years and years. Infact, my immediate family was so atheist oriented that If i dated a guy that was a believer they thought i was crazy. I have watched all of them age.. watched them develop and overcome various illnesses, watched them watch life, creation, etc.. watched ALL OF THEM become more open to the spiritual wonders.. and each of them now identifies as agnostic. No more crude intellectual nose thumbings to be had. Are they afraid of death as it nears? or have they lived enough to understand theres potential? who knows.

Yes, that's how I meant by double standards. Check the methodology of the studies you refer to before saying things like this please.

You made the ASSumption that these random ideas i threw out were some proof I was using for theism. They were not. I repeat, I am an agnostic. Yes if I was a theist picking on an atheist it would be quite the double standard. Much like the atheist picking on the theist eh? Neither KNOW.. but take an assuming stance. Both are equal in my book.

So, basically based on this I could claim anything as being true with no evidence. Unicorns and the Sauron and rings of power. Empirical evidence is something we use because it's testable and reliable. You don't believe in fairy tales BECAUSE of empirical evidence (i hope) so why does religion makes exception to that rule?

NO. Logic can not disprove something can it. Where did you get the idea that I'm saying logic is worthless? It has tremendous value. Its simply not the END ALL, and it certainly could not measure a god that exists outside the framework, could it? Unicorns could also exist outside the famework.. point being, logic cant touch on WHATS OUTSIDE THE FRAMEWORK.. so why would someone try to use logic as a tool for this?

And what is your alternative by the way?

If i had an alternative for logic Eck, I would probably be out there right now looking into intellectual property rights instead of arguing atheism on a typology forum with you =) I am not sure if there even needs to be an alternative to logic. I just don't believe its the end all to everything. Do you?

generally the 'void' etc people talk about when talking about the absence of the belief in a god is something that only seem to bother atheist in the imagination of theists.

In this case it was a void also recognized by the athiest, a very deep sadness and disconnect.. combined with overwhelming pressure for him to build a major legacy because he believed that someday that is all that will be left of him. He also did not embrace nature, the life cycle, etc. All was pointless to him.

Yes, again, there is absolutly no more data to back that up than there is to back up fairies, and I'll remind you that you seemed to welcome empirical evidence when it fits your views,

What exactly did you think my view was Eck? I think you assumed I was a theist, though it was never stated. I guess I am confused. =/

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I really hate to get into personal ex. because they mean nada
That's where your sentence should have stopped I believe. Otherwise you're sort of contradicting yourself, again.

no time now, gotta go out
hf
I believe them to be neccissarily true. I'm agnostic.. which means I DONT believe there is enough proof available to know one way or the other.
Yes but that doesn't make all claims equal. Yes there is a chance that if you walk through a door, you'll actually, walk through the door instead of hurting yourself, but it's so unlikely as to be dismissable in realistic time scales with macroscopic objets.
also there is empirical data to back that sort of dynamic up and it fits into a larger model of nature(quantum tunneling is also why our sun has fusion)

Beorn

Permabanned
What you gonna do with all them pagan atheists?

[YOUTUBE="jQKigCl30Sk"]Pagan atheists[/YOUTUBE]

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anyway, I am of the opinion that religious/spiritual beliefs shouldn't be tied to mbti temperaments, and that these beliefs fall outside of mbti. So the premise of the OP is kinda.. weird to me. I know several agnostic/unspiritual NF's, as well as NF believers. I think the same could be said of every other temperament. My point being - I'm not sure what polls like this really prove; religion/spirituality is such an individual thing. I as an INFJ am agnostic/atheist, and be quite firm in that, I have an INFJ friend who is basically the same, and another INFJ friend who is totally opposite, is hardcore Christian, and would never marry an atheist because her beliefs frame her total worldview and frame every single choice she makes as well as how she perceives everything.

I don't wanna prove anything, I'm just trying to get an idea of the portion of NFs with i could share my beliefs on the matter without bad developments. I'm expecting the data to be used that way.

I can barely convince people of stuff they wanna believe, so trying to convert people into atheism in a internet forum would be kinda inefficient. :doh:
This is an area where logic usually doesn't lead anywhere.

There are exceptions (Hell, even a SJ can be atheist), but I still think the majority of NFs lean towards some kind of mysticism or spiritual stuff. Don't take it personal. :hug:

-----------------------

I'd consider the existence of a god, but that possibility would require that we are on some kind of matrix, since I don't see how our world could possibly be a ''divine creation''.
Therefore, i will arbitrarily consider myself an 99.9% atheist. Not that the 0,1 chance would involve an afterlife, anyway. :huh:
Just saying for curiosity purposes. :coffee:

So far it seems INFs are more open to the possibility. Interesting.

Last edited:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I put yes. Only if they are the type that doesn't think people are dumb for not thinking the exact same way they do though.

I can't stand the 'enlightened' attitude of "I know the real truth of the world, and you're a moron for not listening." Let me find my own truth for myself, kthnx, and I won't shove mine down your throat.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
What is your definition of knowing?

Know ~ verb (used with object)

Archaic. to have sexual intercourse with. =P

Lets just say I think I *know* where your going with this.. but I'm tired.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
What you gonna do with all them pagan atheists?

[YOUTUBE="jQKigCl30Sk"]Pagan atheists[/YOUTUBE]

:wacko:

it's... hilarious... and really creepy / unfortunate at the same time...

chachamaru

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
?
That video... girl was shakin' her thang...

I was confused.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Ive never met a complete true Atheist that did not try to force their beliefs on me, and act or sometimes straight up SAY that I was naive (at best) for having any spiritual beliefs, Ive met a few who self identify as atheists, but are technically Agnostic atheists (they believe in atheism, but believe its possible they could be wrong, and often that other people aren't necessarily stupid/naive for believing in something spiritual/religious.) and one of them is one of my closest friends... the other agnostic atheists ive met are really great to... I voted No however as an Agnostic atheist, is well, not an atheist, I could see myself marrying an Agnostic or Agnostic atheist... but I do not believe i will ever meet an Atheist that respects my beliefs... not to say its impossible, I just consider it extremely unlikely based on the experiences ive had so far.

To be clear, I am NOT saying all Atheists are that closed minded/condescending... just that all I have personally met are...
Yes agnostic atheists rock! :solidarity:

I'm so sorry to hear so many theists have had such bad experiences with atheists :(

We're not all judgmental, disrespectful and pushy.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I could not marry an atheist simply because faith has such a critical impact on lifestyle. atheist also tend to tremendously downplay the significance of religion in regards to child rearing and moral development.

Oh please. This is so offensive and narrow minded. You do not need religion to raise children and it's not necessary for moral development. I have proof of that x4.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't see why not, I mean my outlook on life is fairly athiest/agnositic/pantheist, so at least we could have some general agreement with each other.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ooo, a relationship with a pagan would be fun :banana: but I don't think I could viably marry one. in all honesty though, the Pagan religion sounds way more interesting and fun than Christianity. I would love to believe that there are magical animal spirits and such running around and that all those Fi vibes I get from everything were actually forms of tangible energy, but alas, I just can't see the viability.

Careful, sweetheart :devil:
I find my belief in the Earth being a living breathing organism way more plausible than yours of that man up in the sky on his happy clouds having a laugh at our expense :smooch:

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I find my belief in the Earth being a living breathing organism way more plausible than yours of that man up in the sky on his happy clouds having a laugh at our expense :smooch:

So do I. The earth has been observed to exist pretty reliably, and it does host what is defined as life. So any theory about it have at least these facts right.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao

How does "NO ABSOLUTELY NO ATHEISTS BECAUSE LOGIC IS SO NARROW-MINDED AND NO MATTER WHAT, ATHEISTS CAN'T APPRECIATE THE WORLD LIKE I DO ETC. ETC." not come across as a limited perspective to you? :laugh:

I'm more troubled by religious certainty.

I'm with you on this one, bro. Absolute personal conviction on this matter in either direction freaks me out a little.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
How does "NO ABSOLUTELY NO ATHEISTS BECAUSE LOGIC IS SO NARROW-MINDED AND NO MATTER WHAT, ATHEISTS CAN'T APPRECIATE THE WORLD LIKE I DO ETC. ETC." not come across as a limited perspective to you? :laugh:

Now now Allegorystory.. misquoting people and flinging out some hyperbolic interpretations is not only NOT logical, it's also Not nice. :newwink:

But its okay, because ENTP children are my FAVORITE! Just know that someday, when you get big, you'll have to include some of your own ideas too. =)

KDude

Biblical accounts present multiple incarnations of god (depending on the writer). Once they gave God a "proper" name however, there are connotations of pantheism to it (not that it is or isn't.. I'm just saying. It's open to interpretation: YHVH/Yahweh. From the verb "to be". The one who is, etc.. In the famous "burning bush" story with Moses, Moses asks for a name and the voice spells it out for him: "I am that I am".). Not to get into a debate or anything, but I always thought it was a lot more interesting than this old guy in the clouds concept. There isn't much of that in the bible itself (there's stories of God taking on the form of mysterious desert wanderers though). I'm not sure where the old man thing started. It could have been a combination of Greek/Biblical/Norse concepts, once Christian artists started depicting God that way specifically.. :shrug:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I was going by text book "specifically the the position that there are no deities"

but if the person doesn't force that belief on you, and you don't force your beliefs on them why would it matter, if they don't believe in any deities?