User Tag List

View Poll Results: NFs, would you marry an atheist?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO - I'm an INFJ

10 8.26%
  • NO - I'm an ENFJ

4 3.31%
  • NO - I'm an INFP

9 7.44%
  • NO - I'm an ENFP

9 7.44%
  • YES - I'm an INFJ

27 22.31%
  • YES - I'm an ENFJ

7 5.79%
  • YES - I'm an INFP

32 26.45%
  • YES - I'm an ENFP

23 19.01%
First 56789 Last

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

while I agree that all data has to be considered I think you probably select the bits you want to believe in.

Perhaps *some* do, but I mentioned these things randomly because they are interesting studies, and not because I believe them to be neccissarily true. I'm agnostic.. which means I DONT believe there is enough proof available to know one way or the other.

You're not a judge and atheism isn't illegal

This was poorly conveyed on my behalf in haste. OFCOURSE i'm not a judge and it's not illegal. And I have no qualm with any friend, family member, etc.. being an atheist. I was referring specifically to my. future. partner. Which is someone who would probably hold to a higher standard in astleast the sense that they understand me, and I them. I could not understand how they could conclude that NOTHING exists beyond death, outside of logic, etc. If they had this view through some misunderstanding, some lame attempt to counter the religious extremists, some difficulty grasping that logic is not the end all, then I could forgive this *misguided conclusion*. But if they were a die hard atheist, and they beleived NOTHING exists outside of logic, and turned there head to any other possibility, i could not forgive such a *limitation of their mind.*

I think that vision of the 'reedeeming atheist' is probably more of an urban legend than anything else by the way. I always hear religious types talk about it but I have yet to see it happen or see any data backing it up. If anyone has any study on the topic it'd be cool.

An urband legend? So your saying that NO ONE has ever changed? I really hate to get into personal ex. because they mean nada. But this is a category that 4 very close people to me have fallen into. My grandfather and his 3 best friends. All ENTJ/INTJ/INTP. All atheists. All picked on the theists for years and years. Infact, my immediate family was so atheist oriented that If i dated a guy that was a believer they thought i was crazy. I have watched all of them age.. watched them develop and overcome various illnesses, watched them watch life, creation, etc.. watched ALL OF THEM become more open to the spiritual wonders.. and each of them now identifies as agnostic. No more crude intellectual nose thumbings to be had. Are they afraid of death as it nears? or have they lived enough to understand theres potential? who knows.

Yes, that's how I meant by double standards. Check the methodology of the studies you refer to before saying things like this please.

You made the ASSumption that these random ideas i threw out were some proof I was using for theism. They were not. I repeat, I am an agnostic. Yes if I was a theist picking on an atheist it would be quite the double standard. Much like the atheist picking on the theist eh? Neither KNOW.. but take an assuming stance. Both are equal in my book.

So, basically based on this I could claim anything as being true with no evidence. Unicorns and the Sauron and rings of power. Empirical evidence is something we use because it's testable and reliable. You don't believe in fairy tales BECAUSE of empirical evidence (i hope) so why does religion makes exception to that rule?

NO. Logic can not disprove something can it. Where did you get the idea that I'm saying logic is worthless? It has tremendous value. Its simply not the END ALL, and it certainly could not measure a god that exists outside the framework, could it? Unicorns could also exist outside the famework.. point being, logic cant touch on WHATS OUTSIDE THE FRAMEWORK.. so why would someone try to use logic as a tool for this?

And what is your alternative by the way?

If i had an alternative for logic Eck, I would probably be out there right now looking into intellectual property rights instead of arguing atheism on a typology forum with you =) I am not sure if there even needs to be an alternative to logic. I just don't believe its the end all to everything. Do you?

generally the 'void' etc people talk about when talking about the absence of the belief in a god is something that only seem to bother atheist in the imagination of theists.

In this case it was a void also recognized by the athiest, a very deep sadness and disconnect.. combined with overwhelming pressure for him to build a major legacy because he believed that someday that is all that will be left of him. He also did not embrace nature, the life cycle, etc. All was pointless to him.

Yes, again, there is absolutly no more data to back that up than there is to back up fairies, and I'll remind you that you seemed to welcome empirical evidence when it fits your views,

What exactly did you think my view was Eck? I think you assumed I was a theist, though it was never stated. I guess I am confused. =/
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

I really hate to get into personal ex. because they mean nada
    That's where your sentence should have stopped I believe. Otherwise you're sort of contradicting yourself, again.

no time now, gotta go out
    hf
    I believe them to be neccissarily true. I'm agnostic.. which means I DONT believe there is enough proof available to know one way or the other.
    Yes but that doesn't make all claims equal. Yes there is a chance that if you walk through a door, you'll actually, walk through the door instead of hurting yourself, but it's so unlikely as to be dismissable in realistic time scales with macroscopic objets.
    also there is empirical data to back that sort of dynamic up and it fits into a larger model of nature(quantum tunneling is also why our sun has fusion)
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

What you gonna do with all them pagan atheists?

[YOUTUBE="jQKigCl30Sk"]Pagan atheists[/YOUTUBE]
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    Anyway, I am of the opinion that religious/spiritual beliefs shouldn't be tied to mbti temperaments, and that these beliefs fall outside of mbti. So the premise of the OP is kinda.. weird to me. I know several agnostic/unspiritual NF's, as well as NF believers. I think the same could be said of every other temperament. My point being - I'm not sure what polls like this really prove; religion/spirituality is such an individual thing. I as an INFJ am agnostic/atheist, and be quite firm in that, I have an INFJ friend who is basically the same, and another INFJ friend who is totally opposite, is hardcore Christian, and would never marry an atheist because her beliefs frame her total worldview and frame every single choice she makes as well as how she perceives everything.
    I don't wanna prove anything, I'm just trying to get an idea of the portion of NFs with i could share my beliefs on the matter without bad developments. I'm expecting the data to be used that way.

I can barely convince people of stuff they wanna believe, so trying to convert people into atheism in a internet forum would be kinda inefficient.
    This is an area where logic usually doesn't lead anywhere.

There are exceptions (Hell, even a SJ can be atheist), but I still think the majority of NFs lean towards some kind of mysticism or spiritual stuff. Don't take it personal.

-----------------------

I'd consider the existence of a god, but that possibility would require that we are on some kind of matrix, since I don't see how our world could possibly be a ''divine creation''.
    Therefore, i will arbitrarily consider myself an 99.9% atheist. Not that the 0,1 chance would involve an afterlife, anyway.
    Just saying for curiosity purposes.

So far it seems INFs are more open to the possibility. Interesting.
    Last edited by Rasofy; 03-07-2011 at 03:22 PM. Reason: grammar mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    Much like the atheist picking on the theist eh? Neither KNOW.. but take an assuming stance.
    What is your definition of knowing?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I put yes. Only if they are the type that doesn't think people are dumb for not thinking the exact same way they do though.

I can't stand the 'enlightened' attitude of "I know the real truth of the world, and you're a moron for not listening." Let me find my own truth for myself, kthnx, and I won't shove mine down your throat.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    What is your definition of knowing?
    Know ~ verb (used with object)

Archaic. to have sexual intercourse with. =P

Lets just say I think I *know* where your going with this.. but I'm tired.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    What you gonna do with all them pagan atheists?

[YOUTUBE="jQKigCl30Sk"]Pagan atheists[/YOUTUBE]

it's... hilarious... and really creepy / unfortunate at the same time...

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post

it's... hilarious... and really creepy / unfortunate at the same time...
    Child molestation comes in many forms - poor kids

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    EXPP

That video... girl was shakin' her thang...

I was confused.
    a cat is fine too