User Tag List

View Poll Results: NFs, would you marry an atheist?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO - I'm an INFJ

    10 8.26%
  • NO - I'm an ENFJ

    4 3.31%
  • NO - I'm an INFP

    9 7.44%
  • NO - I'm an ENFP

    9 7.44%
  • YES - I'm an INFJ

    27 22.31%
  • YES - I'm an ENFJ

    7 5.79%
  • YES - I'm an INFP

    32 26.45%
  • YES - I'm an ENFP

    23 19.01%
First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 137

  1. #31
    4x9 cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp
    Posts
    6,931

    Default

    Sure, I would marry an atheist. But to be clear, I'm not a fan of ANY type/believer who outwardly disrespects others, or belittles their beliefs. Conversion of any sort disgusts me. My boyfriend is an atheist and he never debates/argues about it, nor does he really like the hardcore atheists who rip religious people to shreds. He thinks they're one and the same - and really, they kind of are (given that many atheists are just as steadfast/militant in their own beliefs as those of an extreme religious leaning are - just opposite extremes). Both of us would respectfully discuss why we believe what we believe, but basically don't bring it up with anyone unless they bring it up first. I also think that there are highly moral, extremely good atheists/agnostics, so Morality when it comes to child-raising doesn't require religion. Religion does not a moral person make.

    Anyway, I am of the opinion that religious/spiritual beliefs shouldn't be tied to mbti temperaments, and that these beliefs fall outside of mbti. So the premise of the OP is kinda.. weird to me. I know several agnostic/unspiritual NF's, as well as NF believers. I think the same could be said of every other temperament. My point being - I'm not sure what polls like this really prove; religion/spirituality is such an individual thing. I as an INFJ am agnostic/atheist, and be quite firm in that, I have an INFJ friend who is basically the same, and another INFJ friend who is totally opposite, is hardcore Christian, and would never marry an atheist because her beliefs frame her total worldview and frame every single choice she makes as well as how she perceives everything.

    I suppose technically I'm agnostic, but given mainstream notions of everything, I'd more likely be categorized by most as atheist (given my notions of what a higher power would actually BE). And, I am really not into any sort of religion or defined spirituality at all - so there isn't a single organization or group out there that I'd ever be a part of. I also don't really... dwell on anything spiritually-slanted (in the sense of higher power/religious-like spirituality), at all, and it's not really part of my worldview.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

  2. #32
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Immaculate Cloud View Post
    [...] whose ex-wife died of cancer.
    Caused by blasphemy!

  3. #33
    78% me Eruca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I could not marry an atheist simply because faith has such a critical impact on lifestyle. atheist also tend to tremendously downplay the significance of religion in regards to child rearing and moral development.
    If religion were so terribly important to moral development the population of increasing secular western European countries would be suffering some sort of moral degradation. They might be, but if they are then America, a much more religious country, is too. You are correct that religion is significant in regards to child rearing in America, because many children are raised with religion in America. The fact that religion is wide-spread gives it an impact, but that doesnt make it a positive impact, or one that cannot be replaced with secular alternatives.

    Anywho, they should make a companion thread to this: "atheists, would you marry a follower of one of the monotheistic religions?"

    For myself, I wouldn't. This isn't because I couldn't respect/like them, just belief in such things would indicate a difference in world view that would interfere with any personal connection. On the other hand, a pantheist/spiritual person would be dandy.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

  4. #34
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancynobullets View Post
    If religion were so terribly important to moral development the population of increasing secular western European countries would be suffering some sort of moral degradation. They might be, but if they are then America, a much more religious country, is too. You are correct that religion is significant in regards to child rearing in America, because many children are raised with religion in America. The fact that religion is wide-spread gives it an impact, but that doesnt make it a positive impact, or one that cannot be replaced with secular alternatives.

    Anywho, they should make a companion thread to this: "atheists, would you marry a follower of one of the monotheistic religions?"

    For myself, I wouldn't. This isn't because I couldn't respect/like them, just belief in such things would indicate a difference in world view that would interfere with any personal connection. On the other hand, a pantheist/spiritual person would be dandy.
    I'm curious about the panteist bit. I realise that moderncurrently in fashion monotheistic religions tend to have quite a few bits of specific morality related package that goes with it relative to most "heathen"\Infidel\etc. belief systems. But still, curious about your perspective
    and yeah lets make a 'NT would you marry a theist ' thread : P
    Though it faintly smells of cliché
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  5. #35
    Senior Member chachamaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    EXPP
    Posts
    451

    Default

    Differences in religion is cited as one of the biggest reasons for divorce.

    So, because I'm not an atheist, I would not marry an atheist. Because I don't want a divorce over something so...close to my heart. Soul. Yeah.
    a cat is fine too

  6. #36

    Default

    If my partner were some Richard Dawkins-esque atheist, no I probably wouldn't marry him. I probably wouldn't date him, either. I'd just find him rude and irritating (even though I agree with many of the things he says).

    So yeah, there's a lot to be said of personality trumping personal belief.

  7. #37
    Senior Member Santosha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni
    Posts
    1,521

    Default

    I couldn't tolerate an atheist.
    To be an agnostic, and say you don't have enough proof one way or the other is fair, and probably true.. but to be an atheist, and believe that nothing COULD exist outside of logic is so ridiculously narrow that I don't think I could bare being with someone like this. To deny the possibility of an intelligent design when all the wonders of the world surround you day after day.. to turn your head to amazing break throughs like 'memory outside of consciousness' and studies that highly accredited neurosurgeons and cardiologist are doing in near death research institutes.. I just don't think I could tolerate somone like that. They'd rank somewhere in between ron hubbard and the easter bunny to me.

    Now there are a few reasons someone might identify as an atheist that I could forgive..

    They are very intelligent but young.. have lots of books to back it up but don't have much life experience to draw on.. they will eventually change there mind (like when there 75 and diagnosed with colon cancer)

    THey are too lazy to really research and study it for themselves, so they follow the foot steps of other so-called "intellectuals" to place themself on an some kind of intellectual high ground without realzing how fake and psuedo intellectual it is..

    They are so over run with logic, empirical evidence, etc. that there is almost a disconnect between logic and truth. To believe that logic is all there is.. and that current human logic is as good as it gets.. is absurd. Logic is a tool and like any tool it can be mis used (aristotle) so if your basing your drastic sweeping assuption that no good exits based on logic, your a fool, imo. =)

    Now, I've known a few die hard atheists that did not fit into these categories. Dated one of them. And when I got at the real nectar behind these thought processes of his.. I was not only shocked & overwhelmed with such darkness, but felt absolutely terrible for him. The existential crises he had, the lack of faith in fellow human beings, the inability to see anything as meaningful or magical, it was just.. horrific. I say this because you would have to understand how these deeply rooted thoughts surfaced for him in everyday life. He had a complete disconnect with spiritual consciousness. Felt mroe alone that anyone I've ever known. And i'd say this is the one type of atheist I could NEVER be with. The one that would rob me of ever sharing all the majic beautiful connections that life has with him. The one that couldn't hold our first child in his arms the day it was born and KNOW it had a soul. I mean, fuck that.

    Just sayen. =)
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

  8. #38
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Yes. Absolutely. I'd marry an atheist before I married someone who actively practiced religion. I've dated more than one atheist.

    I'm agnostic, though, and kind of a de facto atheist, so that probably helps.

  9. #39
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    I couldn't tolerate an atheist.
    To be an agnostic, and say you don't have enough proof one way or the other is fair, and probably true.. but to be an atheist, and believe that nothing COULD exist outside of logic is so ridiculously narrow that I don't think I could bare being with someone like this. To deny the possibility of an intelligent design when all the wonders of the world surround you day after day.. to turn your head to amazing break throughs like 'memory outside of consciousness' and studies that highly accredited neurosurgeons and cardiologist are doing in near death research institutes.. I just don't think I could tolerate somone like that. They'd rank somewhere in between ron hubbard and the easter bunny to me.

    Now there are a few reasons someone might identify as an atheist that I could forgive..

    They are very intelligent but young.. have lots of books to back it up but don't have much life experience to draw on.. they will eventually change there mind (like when there 75 and diagnosed with colon cancer)

    THey are too lazy to really research and study it for themselves, so they follow the foot steps of other so-called "intellectuals" to place themself on an some kind of intellectual high ground without realzing how fake and psuedo intellectual it is..

    They are so over run with logic, empirical evidence, etc. that there is almost a disconnect between logic and truth. To believe that logic is all there is.. and that current human logic is as good as it gets.. is absurd. Logic is a tool and like any tool it can be mis used (aristotle) so if your basing your drastic sweeping assuption that no good exits based on logic, your a fool, imo. =)

    Now, I've known a few die hard atheists that did not fit into these categories. Dated one of them. And when I got at the real nectar behind these thought processes of his.. I was not only shocked & overwhelmed with such darkness, but felt absolutely terrible for him. The existential crises he had, the lack of faith in fellow human beings, the inability to see anything as meaningful or magical, it was just.. horrific. I say this because you would have to understand how these deeply rooted thoughts surfaced for him in everyday life. He had a complete disconnect with spiritual consciousness. Felt mroe alone that anyone I've ever known. And i'd say this is the one type of atheist I could NEVER be with. The one that would rob me of ever sharing all the majic beautiful connections that life has with him. The one that couldn't hold our first child in his arms the day it was born and KNOW it had a soul. I mean, fuck that.

    Just sayen. =)
    Most of what you say can be applied directly to you or used to show your own narrow mindedness
    Just sayen
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  10. #40
    Senior Member Santosha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni
    Posts
    1,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Most of what you say can be applied directly to you or used to show your own narrow mindedness
    Just sayen
    How so?
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

Similar Threads

  1. [NT] NTs, would you marry a Theist?
    By EcK in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 123
    Last Post: 03-13-2011, 07:43 PM
  2. [NF] NFs would you mind if I ask you something "personal" ?
    By Virtual ghost in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 129
    Last Post: 09-30-2010, 07:32 PM
  3. Would you wear an elephant hat?
    By JustHer in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-30-2009, 07:18 PM
  4. Would you be an immortal?
    By BerberElla in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: 01-27-2009, 07:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO