User Tag List

View Poll Results: NFs, would you marry an atheist?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO - I'm an INFJ

10 8.26%
  • NO - I'm an ENFJ

4 3.31%
  • NO - I'm an INFP

9 7.44%
  • NO - I'm an ENFP

9 7.44%
  • YES - I'm an INFJ

27 22.31%
  • YES - I'm an ENFJ

7 5.79%
  • YES - I'm an INFP

32 26.45%
  • YES - I'm an ENFP

23 19.01%
First 123412 Last

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

I could not marry an atheist simply because faith has such a critical impact on lifestyle. atheist also tend to tremendously downplay the significance of religion in regards to child rearing and moral development.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ENFJ

I know it's too early to jump to conclusions, BUT INFJs; I see that so far all of you don't mind marrying atheists...
    Could that also be the reason for this?

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I'm not the marrying kind, but religion or the lack there of doesn't really come into play as long as he's ok with me doing my own thing. I'm not really religious myself, though I do consider myself spiritually 'involved'. Also, I'm from Europe, so there may be a cultural component in this.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I meant atheists in a generic way, indeed.
    Seemed better than ''Agnostic'', which would include people that in reality are totally indecisive.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I meant atheists in a generic way, indeed.
    Seemed better than ''Agnostic'', which would include people that in reality are totally indecisive.

OK, that's clarifying... I wouldn't mind agnostic, but still open people - that's a different story

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Basically, my answer is similar to many others here. "It depends"

Since I'm like 40, and never married...I consider the question of marriage doubtful in general.

I would guess I'd "officially" classify myself as "Highly Spiritual Agnostic." (I wrote Asimov one time discussing being a "mystical scientist", and I didn't hear back.) I'm venturing out, and trying to connect with people, including people who are the right age and type for becoming S.O. or some sort of partner...as well as find friends.

The difficulty is I want open-minded people, and usually a group forms because they are strongly "For" or "Against" something. I joined two free thought associations, and I haven't went to any of their events, and I may still do so. However, one of the groups seems "militant". They seem to want to get "In God we trust" removed from public buildings. Also, one guy there dissected a South Park episode minute by minute discussing how South Park put Atheists in a bad light.

Come on! It's South Park. Also, I don't want to remove slogans from buildings!

I even went to Unitarian Universalist, and they seemed a little bit too militant to me...too intolerant...too argumentative. I'm hoping that the one service I attended what not representative. At least they weren't adamant in the God or no-God area, however.

Another awesome member. Curator's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Nancynobullets View Post
    To confuse matters further, many agnostic atheists would simply describe themselves as atheists. When I read the thread's title I interpreted "atheist" as meaning solid atheist or agnostic atheist, because I think the wider population mixes the two meanings at will.

Also, it is not surprising the certain atheists you have met have been stubborn and provocative. To be 100% certain, rather than 99% (as an agnostic atheist might be), a certain amount of over-confidence is required. Therefore being arrogant is virtually part of the definition of a certain atheist, just the same for a certain religious person.
    yup... I often notice the type to when they ask questions, the Agnostic Atheist asks questions about my beliefs often obviously based in curiosity, and often not specific, usually more vague like "so, what do you believe?" Often just wanting to learn more about me and what defines me, where as a 100% atheist would be more likely to ask specific, and often leading questions of me like "So, do you believe an all powerful being created the universe in 7 days?" often with the intent of hoping I will say yes, so they can then "Enlighten" me to their "truth" so as to do me the generous service of curing my idiocy...
    You are not powerless, you just need to accept your power for what it is, a part of the whole, no one man can save the world, but you can be a light to those who envelope themselves in darkness, The candle that sparks the inferno.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Atheists are fucking boring, if you pardon my language.
    I prefer agnostics or pagans.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I could not marry an atheist simply because faith has such a critical impact on lifestyle. atheist also tend to tremendously downplay the significance of religion in regards to child rearing and moral development.
    this is not to say that I go around trying to force-convert atheists or believe that they are amoral or evil, but I do believe that religion is tremendously beneficial to child development and having parents of 2 different religions would be terribly confusing to the child

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Atheists are fucking boring, if you pardon my language.
    I prefer agnostics or pagans.
    ooo, a relationship with a pagan would be fun but I don't think I could viably marry one. in all honesty though, the Pagan religion sounds way more interesting and fun than Christianity. I would love to believe that there are magical animal spirits and such running around and that all those Fi vibes I get from everything were actually forms of tangible energy, but alas, I just can't see the viability.