• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other] NFs, would you marry an atheist?

NFs, would you marry an atheist?

• NO - I'm an INFJ

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • NO - I'm an ENFJ

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • NO - I'm an INFP

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • NO - I'm an ENFP

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • YES - I'm an INFJ

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • YES - I'm an ENFJ

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • YES - I'm an INFP

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • YES - I'm an ENFP

Votes: 22 19.5%

• Total voters

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
OK, that's clarifying... I wouldn't mind agnostic, but still open people - that's a different story :)
so you can try to convert them ? :laugh:

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ooo, a relationship with a pagan would be fun :banana: but I don't think I could viably marry one. in all honesty though, the Pagan religion sounds way more interesting and fun than Christianity. I would love to believe that there are magical animal spirits and such running around and that all those Fi vibes I get from everything were actually forms of tangible energy, but alas, I just can't see the viability.

What, are you Christian or something? What a giant waste of time ;)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
what the....:doh: anyways I'm atheist, being an NF≠belief in a higher power automatically.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Since I'm pretty much agnostic at this point, yes, I would marry an atheist. This is a recent development in my life, though. I probably should tell my spouse one of these days that I'm not sure I believe in God anymore....

KDude

I'm open to it, but I think atheists would mind more than me. At least that's my experience. I'm (very informally/loosely) Christian, so I'm not like many Christians either. Some people like to debate about the subject a lot or just ridiculing the other side in general. I don't even like to talk about it.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I suppose we are agnostic. If ENFJ man came home out of the blue and starting tying to convert me to anything, we'd have major problems. We've never felt religion had any place in our lives or our kids lives and we seem to do just fine and raise them with values and a moral compass without any outside help. Spirituality is another matter entirely but I feel very strongly about organized religion.

Immaculate Cloud

MBTI Type
INFJ
INFJ here and not the marrying type.

But if I had to marry or have a LTR with someone, it would not be with a rabid atheist, like some famous biologist I will not name, whose ex-wife died of cancer.

In fact, if the atheistic world-view has overtaken the whole personality, that is a definite turn-off.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sure, I would marry an atheist. But to be clear, I'm not a fan of ANY type/believer who outwardly disrespects others, or belittles their beliefs. Conversion of any sort disgusts me. My boyfriend is an atheist and he never debates/argues about it, nor does he really like the hardcore atheists who rip religious people to shreds. He thinks they're one and the same - and really, they kind of are (given that many atheists are just as steadfast/militant in their own beliefs as those of an extreme religious leaning are - just opposite extremes). Both of us would respectfully discuss why we believe what we believe, but basically don't bring it up with anyone unless they bring it up first. I also think that there are highly moral, extremely good atheists/agnostics, so Morality when it comes to child-raising doesn't require religion. Religion does not a moral person make. :)

Anyway, I am of the opinion that religious/spiritual beliefs shouldn't be tied to mbti temperaments, and that these beliefs fall outside of mbti. So the premise of the OP is kinda.. weird to me. I know several agnostic/unspiritual NF's, as well as NF believers. I think the same could be said of every other temperament. My point being - I'm not sure what polls like this really prove; religion/spirituality is such an individual thing. I as an INFJ am agnostic/atheist, and be quite firm in that, I have an INFJ friend who is basically the same, and another INFJ friend who is totally opposite, is hardcore Christian, and would never marry an atheist because her beliefs frame her total worldview and frame every single choice she makes as well as how she perceives everything.

I suppose technically I'm agnostic, but given mainstream notions of everything, I'd more likely be categorized by most as atheist (given my notions of what a higher power would actually BE). And, I am really not into any sort of religion or defined spirituality at all - so there isn't a single organization or group out there that I'd ever be a part of. I also don't really... dwell on anything spiritually-slanted (in the sense of higher power/religious-like spirituality), at all, and it's not really part of my worldview.

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I could not marry an atheist simply because faith has such a critical impact on lifestyle. atheist also tend to tremendously downplay the significance of religion in regards to child rearing and moral development.

If religion were so terribly important to moral development the population of increasing secular western European countries would be suffering some sort of moral degradation. They might be, but if they are then America, a much more religious country, is too. You are correct that religion is significant in regards to child rearing in America, because many children are raised with religion in America. The fact that religion is wide-spread gives it an impact, but that doesnt make it a positive impact, or one that cannot be replaced with secular alternatives.

Anywho, they should make a companion thread to this: "atheists, would you marry a follower of one of the monotheistic religions?"

For myself, I wouldn't. This isn't because I couldn't respect/like them, just belief in such things would indicate a difference in world view that would interfere with any personal connection. On the other hand, a pantheist/spiritual person would be dandy.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
If religion were so terribly important to moral development the population of increasing secular western European countries would be suffering some sort of moral degradation. They might be, but if they are then America, a much more religious country, is too. You are correct that religion is significant in regards to child rearing in America, because many children are raised with religion in America. The fact that religion is wide-spread gives it an impact, but that doesnt make it a positive impact, or one that cannot be replaced with secular alternatives.

Anywho, they should make a companion thread to this: "atheists, would you marry a follower of one of the monotheistic religions?"

For myself, I wouldn't. This isn't because I couldn't respect/like them, just belief in such things would indicate a difference in world view that would interfere with any personal connection. On the other hand, a pantheist/spiritual person would be dandy.

I'm curious about the panteist bit. I realise that moderncurrently in fashion monotheistic religions tend to have quite a few bits of specific morality related package that goes with it relative to most "heathen"\Infidel\etc. belief systems. But still, curious about your perspective
and yeah lets make a 'NT would you marry a theist ' thread : P
Though it faintly smells of cliché

chachamaru

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
?
Differences in religion is cited as one of the biggest reasons for divorce.

So, because I'm not an atheist, I would not marry an atheist. Because I don't want a divorce over something so...close to my heart. Soul. Yeah.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
If my partner were some Richard Dawkins-esque atheist, no I probably wouldn't marry him. I probably wouldn't date him, either. I'd just find him rude and irritating (even though I agree with many of the things he says).

So yeah, there's a lot to be said of personality trumping personal belief.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I couldn't tolerate an atheist.
To be an agnostic, and say you don't have enough proof one way or the other is fair, and probably true.. but to be an atheist, and believe that nothing COULD exist outside of logic is so ridiculously narrow that I don't think I could bare being with someone like this. To deny the possibility of an intelligent design when all the wonders of the world surround you day after day.. to turn your head to amazing break throughs like 'memory outside of consciousness' and studies that highly accredited neurosurgeons and cardiologist are doing in near death research institutes.. I just don't think I could tolerate somone like that. They'd rank somewhere in between ron hubbard and the easter bunny to me.

Now there are a few reasons someone might identify as an atheist that I could forgive..

They are very intelligent but young.. have lots of books to back it up but don't have much life experience to draw on.. they will eventually change there mind (like when there 75 and diagnosed with colon cancer)

THey are too lazy to really research and study it for themselves, so they follow the foot steps of other so-called "intellectuals" to place themself on an some kind of intellectual high ground without realzing how fake and psuedo intellectual it is..

They are so over run with logic, empirical evidence, etc. that there is almost a disconnect between logic and truth. To believe that logic is all there is.. and that current human logic is as good as it gets.. is absurd. Logic is a tool and like any tool it can be mis used (aristotle) so if your basing your drastic sweeping assuption that no good exits based on logic, your a fool, imo. =)

Now, I've known a few die hard atheists that did not fit into these categories. Dated one of them. And when I got at the real nectar behind these thought processes of his.. I was not only shocked & overwhelmed with such darkness, but felt absolutely terrible for him. The existential crises he had, the lack of faith in fellow human beings, the inability to see anything as meaningful or magical, it was just.. horrific. I say this because you would have to understand how these deeply rooted thoughts surfaced for him in everyday life. He had a complete disconnect with spiritual consciousness. Felt mroe alone that anyone I've ever known. And i'd say this is the one type of atheist I could NEVER be with. The one that would rob me of ever sharing all the majic beautiful connections that life has with him. The one that couldn't hold our first child in his arms the day it was born and KNOW it had a soul. I mean, fuck that.

Just sayen. =)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes. Absolutely. I'd marry an atheist before I married someone who actively practiced religion. I've dated more than one atheist.

I'm agnostic, though, and kind of a de facto atheist, so that probably helps.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I couldn't tolerate an atheist.
To be an agnostic, and say you don't have enough proof one way or the other is fair, and probably true.. but to be an atheist, and believe that nothing COULD exist outside of logic is so ridiculously narrow that I don't think I could bare being with someone like this. To deny the possibility of an intelligent design when all the wonders of the world surround you day after day.. to turn your head to amazing break throughs like 'memory outside of consciousness' and studies that highly accredited neurosurgeons and cardiologist are doing in near death research institutes.. I just don't think I could tolerate somone like that. They'd rank somewhere in between ron hubbard and the easter bunny to me.

Now there are a few reasons someone might identify as an atheist that I could forgive..

They are very intelligent but young.. have lots of books to back it up but don't have much life experience to draw on.. they will eventually change there mind (like when there 75 and diagnosed with colon cancer)

THey are too lazy to really research and study it for themselves, so they follow the foot steps of other so-called "intellectuals" to place themself on an some kind of intellectual high ground without realzing how fake and psuedo intellectual it is..

They are so over run with logic, empirical evidence, etc. that there is almost a disconnect between logic and truth. To believe that logic is all there is.. and that current human logic is as good as it gets.. is absurd. Logic is a tool and like any tool it can be mis used (aristotle) so if your basing your drastic sweeping assuption that no good exits based on logic, your a fool, imo. =)

Now, I've known a few die hard atheists that did not fit into these categories. Dated one of them. And when I got at the real nectar behind these thought processes of his.. I was not only shocked & overwhelmed with such darkness, but felt absolutely terrible for him. The existential crises he had, the lack of faith in fellow human beings, the inability to see anything as meaningful or magical, it was just.. horrific. I say this because you would have to understand how these deeply rooted thoughts surfaced for him in everyday life. He had a complete disconnect with spiritual consciousness. Felt mroe alone that anyone I've ever known. And i'd say this is the one type of atheist I could NEVER be with. The one that would rob me of ever sharing all the majic beautiful connections that life has with him. The one that couldn't hold our first child in his arms the day it was born and KNOW it had a soul. I mean, fuck that.

Just sayen. =)

Most of what you say can be applied directly to you or used to show your own narrow mindedness
Just sayen