• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other] NFs, would you marry an atheist?

NFs, would you marry an atheist?

• NO - I'm an INFJ

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • NO - I'm an ENFJ

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • NO - I'm an INFP

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • NO - I'm an ENFP

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • YES - I'm an INFJ

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • YES - I'm an ENFJ

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • YES - I'm an INFP

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • YES - I'm an ENFP

Votes: 22 19.5%

• Total voters

Porcelain Hearts

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm an atheist and like so many that have already posted, dating anyone who holds their idiosyncratic belief above others is just completely inappropriate. Faith or no faith.

N

NPcomplete

Religious views aren't my main consideration in such matters but as an agnostic (who can't help but ask many many questions), I do get along better with other agnostics and atheists. It's easier to explore religious topics in depth and no one is made uncomfortable. That said, anyone who acts preachy and tries to "save [my] soul from the fiery pits of hell" or adopts a Richard Dawkins [1] stance will get :dalek:d.

I believe that this is valid in any type of interaction anyway. :laugh:

[1] I agree with some of what he says but it's the way he says it...

Last edited:

Shasjas

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I would have no problem with that as i am an athiest. Twisting the problem the other way, could i, an athiest, marry a theist? Depends on what the religion was and how seriously they took it, but im generally not too keen on organised religion.

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can not give a yes or no answer to that.
It would depend on how fanatical/militant they are about their belief and how tolerant they were of my beliefs.

In the unlikely event that I ever seek another relationship, I think I would still put a high priority on shared spiritual/religious views.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I don't know, I have never met an atheist I wanted to marry, BUT I wouldn't disqualify anyone from the sweepstakes based on their religious beliefs. Certainly some creeds would make me skeptical of the potential for marriage, but I like to take it on a case-by-case basis. I don't like to rule anyone out unless I really get to know them. I often try to imagine coming to love the most undesirable people I can think of. It's like an NF thought experiment.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
This question is so funny. Religious practices and morality are not that related. Such am odd question. If this were a Christian forum I could understand it more but NFs are not necessarily religious. Maybe "spiritual" but the religious part is more about upbringing not personality.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I want an ethical person with good moral character and that could be an atheist.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I imagine i'd have no problem with it, i'm agnostic so it's not such a stretch. I imagine i'd have a rather big problem with a nihilist though, imo theres got to be something more to life.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Much more likely to marry someone with unset beliefs. Unlikely to marry anybody who won't move out of their mental comfort zone, so I said no. More likely to marry an agnostic.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm sure this has probably been mentioned somewhere along this thread but could the question be "Would an atheist marry you"...
Would they (the atheists) prefer not to marry at all?
So then the question, in that vein, could also be "Could you get an atheist to marry you?"
I'm just thinking of the religious connection to marriage, yes we have adapted to society's requirements regarding marriage, non religious persons can also marry and there are legal benefits etc, but i'm interested in what opinions atheists hold.

Nb...yes Nico i do realise this post is a mess but i'm too messy to tidy it up. :alttongue:

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm spiritual but not adherent to any belief. I'm more similar to a buddhist.
My fiance is an INTJ and an aetheist. He has other beliefs though, like in conspiracies and ghosts (!).

I agree w/ the others, F and T have not much to do with religious belief. I know plenty of T people who are religious and F people who aren't.

Subjectivegenius

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
'Twould bother me, personally. I would feel like I couldn't be completely open with her.
I think I would just try to convince her contantly, and it would be weird.
Sorry to get all "religious" on my first post, lol.

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
hi, im an nf

i don`t believe there is a god, jesus, alla. I don`t find living an eternity in servitude and worship kissing Jesus balls or Allah or whatever super natural being to be appealing.

I enjoy the company of other atheist as well

bluestripes

curiouser and curiouser
MBTI Type
Fi
Enneagram
no, i don't think so. spirituality is a significant part of my life and i would like to be able to agree with my husband on some fundamental issues. i would prefer him to be a christian, too - not necessarily orthodox, but still with somewhat similar views (catholic, possibly lutheran).

it's not that i wouldn't be able to respect his choice if he believed differently, or did not believe altogether. but i think there are matters where people do need to connect, and this is one of them (to me).

not sure that this has anything to do with my being a feeler.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There seems to be a significant connection with being NF and being spiritual(admittedly, not religious):
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-idyllic/44993-nfs-you-spiritual.html

''dood, there's not enough data to conclude anything''
I think you should just keep believing personality doesn't affect anything and oddly enough is useful (???). That's what being enlightened is all about.

''But I know a non spiritual NF! And a religious NT!''
To state the obvious, it's a matter of probabilities and tendencies.