• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] the application of cognitive functions in tess of the durbervilles

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
edit: can i just say that it is hilarious that this has gotten only like 4 more views ever since i changed the title. lmao

that was my attempt at a boring, repulsive title.

:doh:

i've removed details, sorry.

Last edited:

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Who knows?

Probably has little to do with MBTI.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
maybe not, but in the past i can chalk up almost all of our weird contact misunderstandings to Fi Fe gaps. it seemed worth asking.

[am removing personal details]

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Without further context, it's really hard to narrow down the countless possibilities.

Maybe he's just going through some "stuff"?

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Can you provide any details? It's hard to say without knowing anything about what was said.

Sometimes I'm more social than other times, too. When I have a lot on my plate, the social stuff gets put on the backburner until I feel like I can handle everything again.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
that's just the thing though, i don't know the details either.

[more personal details removed]

macguffin may be entirely right that there may be no MBTI correlation whatsoever, but i don't really have anywhere else to turn with this question. it's kind of a last-ditch attempt.

thanks for your interest :)

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Could be he's really upset about something? It may or not be you? TBH, in my personal experiences, if I quit talking to someone that I'd been conversing with regularly without explanation, they probably said something to upset me and I'm trying to make sense of it or I've just shut down on them.

Again, hard to be sure still.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ignore him until he contacts you. You'll get his attention when he does. Then tell him what you told us here.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
that's just the thing though, i don't know the details either. one day we're talking normally... then he goes to some conference... then over the next 6 days there's maybe a message or two, but it's not even particularly warm or friendly, and he leaves me hanging in a text conversation, which i've asked him please not to do before and he easily agreed and has not until now. i would assume i had to do with the conference, but he told me about the conference, and nothing about it pertained to us, together. his life seems normal otherwise, as far as i can glean from facebook and myspace. hanging out with other friends, doing activities, etc.

i guess my question is just what would suddenly precipitate a Fe dom to, without warning or notice, essentially cut off contact with you?

macguffin may be entirely right that there may be no MBTI correlation whatsoever, but i don't really have anywhere else to turn with this question. it's kind of a last-ditch attempt.

thanks for your interest :)

If you can't think of any weirdness that happened between you, it's probably not you at all. Maybe something happened at the conference that's weirding him out, or maybe he's dealing with something else entirely. Maybe give him a few days and see if he's back to normal.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Could be he's really upset about something? It may or not be you? TBH, in my personal experiences, if I quit talking to someone that I'd been conversing with regularly without explanation, they probably said something to upset me and I'm trying to make sense of it or I've just shut down on them.

Again, hard to be sure still.

thank you iwakar, that's helpful :)

what i'm afraid of, too. i don't want there to be bad blood between us. i think he's awesome.

Ignore him until he contacts you. You'll get his attention when he does. Then tell him what you told us here.

hm, okay. my first inclination is to reach out, though admittedly that usually ends up exploding in my face when i try it. i just have a very hard time dealing with myself when i know that someone i really like might be unhappy with me.

need... to... fix... *twitch*

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If you can't think of any weirdness that happened between you, it's probably not you at all. Maybe something happened at the conference that's weirding him out, or maybe he's dealing with something else entirely. Maybe give him a few days and see if he's back to normal.

hm, okay. will do. it just kills me to not understand what's going on. why shut down on me in particular? why not everyone else? i just don't know.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
okay thanks so much guys. i'm gonna kill the thread and just hang on and wait. and die. *twitch*

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hm, okay. will do. it just kills me to not understand what's going on. why shut down on me in particular? why not everyone else? i just don't know.

Do you know he hasn't shut other people out, just you? As in, confirmation?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Do you know he hasn't shut other people out, just you? As in, confirmation?

well, his status has been saying he's hanging out with another close friend, so

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
hm, okay. my first inclination is to reach out, though admittedly that usually ends up exploding in my face when i try it. i just have a very hard time dealing with myself when i know that someone i really like might be unhappy with me.

need... to... fix... *twitch*
Well you can try your luck contacting him a few more times to see if he'll listen but from what you've stated it seems it's not working as you hoped. Tis why I stated what I said.
There could be many reasons for his lack of communication. Maybe someone saw the messages he received and that put him off. Maybe he's trying to cut down on his communication as it's a bit tiring. If it's all on phone maybe he's limiting the credit used. Maybe he's found a woman he's romantically interested in and concentrating a bit more on her.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ah, and the new thread title will attract more readers rather than repel them.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I sometimes shut down like this unintentionally, but would respond when prompted. It's usually when I'm trying to pick up other aspects of my life/social life that I've been neglecting.
Otherwise, it would be if I have an issue with something. It would either be a case of seeing no solution to the issue or simply needing a break from said person for some reason. I've had to cut off from people for reasons of either hatred or affinity. lol I know that's not helpful in determining if there is an issue and what it is, but yea.

If you do prompt a response further, maybe attempt to elaborate on your confusion to him. I close up more when I feel there is an issue and it's met with basic/slight questioning. I tend to feel like the other party should know what the issue is, or should be more inclined to pry into it. Mm course that's not to be mistaken with over-questioning. Imo, it's not beneficial to let out a string of 'are you okay? are we okay? did i do something? is there a thorn in your paw? etc'. It is, however, beneficial to say something that shares 1. I don't know if something is wrong/what it may be 2. I'm concerned and 3. I'd like to know why the halt in conversation.

In a lot of cases, people just react better to another party that is opening up in a way that most people don't. As an example- If I'm hesitating to write a message to someone, I'll get to a point where I'll just start off with 'I was hesitating to write this.. etcblahblah' and that tidbit of more relatable honesty will tend to help whatever the cause is of what I'm saying. It's so simple and awesome of a thing.

Hopefully, he's just being brief because life is being busy, even if it's other aspects of his social life. :yes:

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP

I know you've shut the thread down, but a couple of thoughts. 1) Don't compare your relationship to him with other people's. Almost every relationship I have is different. There are some people who don't require much of me, and are therefore easier to hang out with when I'm stressed. Doesn't mean I'm mad at the other person. 2) If you must contact him, just shoot him a "hey, is everything okay?" text and leave it at that. No delving, no insecurities. He'll get the message you're concerned. Leave the ball in his court and try to forget about it. Don't let your Ne run wild, imagining how he's about to disown you.

I know it's hard not to know, but how about not expecting the worst until the worst has become a reality? Then you deal with it head-on. The worst almost never happens like we think it will, though. It doesn't do any good to speculate.