• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ENFP vs. ENTP

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP
Sadly I think this may be part of it. Also, I think the personality trajectory of ENFP depends *a lot* on maturity level, life experience, and the weighting of the functions. And a big difference between a strong 'E' (more stereotypical ENFP) and a moderate or weak 'E' makes a pronounced difference in ENXP.

I'm not really sure how easily an ENFP would recognize another ENFP IRL. I've recognized an ENTP IRL before, but that's about it.

Ditto

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
Being liked is NOT my primary objective. For me, being liked is the result of getting closer to people emotionally, which is only means to the end of understanding a person fully. Understanding the person is the objective. In order to understand everything about someone, they must be comfortable enough around you to truly "be themselves." Analysis of only half the data (their personality minus what they are hiding) is pointless. Unlike the ENTP who performs social experiments to satisfy their curiosity, the ENFP uses the social interactions that occur naturally for analysis. I believe they are less manipulative of people for this reason.

But I think what I was trying to say is that no matter who you are, you will like nearly every cordial person who genuinely wants to know you better. Being liked doesn't have to be their goal.

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
QUOTE: "Sadly I think this may be part of it. Also, I think the personality trajectory of ENFP depends *a lot* on maturity level, life experience, and the weighting of the functions. And a big difference between a strong 'E' (more stereotypical ENFP) and a moderate or weak 'E' makes a pronounced difference in ENXP.

I'm not really sure how easily an ENFP would recognize another ENFP IRL. I've recognized an ENTP IRL before, but that's about it."

To me, extraverted intuitionists are EXTREMELY salient and it is surprising to me that other Ne's would have a hard time locating eachother. After all, isn't that what Ne is for?? (especially with an Fi attached to it!)

Also, when I spot an Ne, it is very simple to tell which side of the T/F spectrum they are on.

Dom

MBTI Type
ENFP
Being liked is NOT my primary objective. For me, being liked is the result of getting closer to people emotionally, which is only means to the end of understanding a person fully. Understanding the person is the objective. In order to understand everything about someone, they must be comfortable enough around you to truly "be themselves." Analysis of only half the data (their personality minus what they are hiding) is pointless. Unlike the ENTP who performs social experiments to satisfy their curiosity, the ENFP uses the social interactions that occur naturally for analysis. I believe they are less manipulative of people for this reason.

But I think what I was trying to say is that no matter who you are, you will like nearly every cordial person who genuinely wants to know you better. Being liked doesn't have to be their goal.

Lol, I mostly agree with this, but if you had posted this on say INTPcentral plenty of people would have said that an ENFP is extra manipulative for exactly the same reason; they talk to you to sneak information about yourself from you. To some intps (and probably other types too) that would be considered manipulative...

I don't understand how either...

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
I've never had a friend who's seen "the whole picture", and my close friends have only been able to see a lot of small parts of me.

I do not have a lot of friends.

I have one close friend, and one close sister.

Come to think of it, I don't really have friends.

I'm constantly understanding others who constantly fail to understand me.

Much sadness and loneliness, I dream of finding someone equally, or more amazing than me, myself and I.

If it weren't for certain writers, poets, lyricists, philosophers, playwrights, I would have killed myself from existential loneliness/depression years ago.

ahh yes. i, as an ENFP tend to be a little removed from the world (an S vs N difference)

and as far as differnces between ENTP and ENFP, it really is a difference in how they come to decisions. a Ti vs Fi difference. The Fe (ENTP) vs Te (ENFP) doesn't make TOO large of a difference

my best friends is an ENTP, im pretty sure hes trolling around on these forums

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you have to get a look at their introverted side to tell
Ti: analytical as hell, not usually very social, good at technical stuff and figuring out how stuff works. the ENTP may appear slightly more serious when exercising this function. many of them are into things like star trek or star wars and take a liking to science fiction.
Fi: Fi has 5 basic facets to it
1) warm and cuddly: an ENFP might go up to a close friend, give them a long hug and say something like "hey buddy" or "I love you". many of us (including me) feel a strong connection with little kids and animals for this reason
2) intensely idealistic: in contrast, Fi deals with strong internal value systems, especially when you combine N and F. the normally good kid who got suspended for fucking up a bully picking on another kid is probably an NF. while NFPs are quite gentle and meek most of the time, if you violate our values, we will kill you =D
3) creative and spacy: introverted feelers live in a bizarre chaotic tim burton-esque inner world. many ENFPs will be into things like RPG games, fairytales, and stories with magic and swords.
4) musical and artistic: most hardcore musicians are XXFP. Fi tends to be good at communicating the complex and subtle emotions associated with music.
5) intense self examination: FPs (especially NFPs) tend to be much more in touch with themselves (NFPs more mentally and SFPs more physically) than other types and can help them with this

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I see a lot of stereotypes in this thread that don't apply to me or to ENxPs I know / I have known. That biggest difference between ENFPs and myself that I've noticed firsthand:

- I'm more likely to think critically when making decisions.

- I'm less introspective.

- I'm more interested in finding a quick way of ending a conflict instead of taking time to work through it. I want it over, because I prefer to move on.

I don't particularly care about science fiction or technology. I'm interested in people, but my focus is humanity at large ... not individuals, unless they are close friends. I work in the arts, and they're my main interest. And despite what I've repeatedly seen implied about ENTPs on this forum, I don't have a large ego, I never have, and I hope I never will. In my opinion, it's a result of delusional thinking.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I see a lot of stereotypes in this thread that don't apply to me or to ENxPs I know / I have known.

Agreed, the biggest problem I have is when someone tries to explain how another type is different without asking questions and therefore rely on nothing but stereotypes, there seems to be a lot of that here.

I don't particularly care about science fiction or technology. I'm interested in people, but my focus is humanity at large ... not individuals, unless they are close friends. I work in the arts, and they're my main interest. And despite what I've repeatedly seen implied about ENTPs on this forum, I don't have a large ego, I never have, and I hope I never will. In my opinion, it's a result of delusional thinking.

Again, totally agree (except I don't work in the arts, but I do love the arts).

I attempted to find differences in the preferences here if anyone is interested, naturally the ENFP side is foreign to me though so based on what others have said.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I see a lot of stereotypes in this thread that don't apply to me or to ENxPs I know / I have known. That biggest difference between ENFPs and myself that I've noticed firsthand:

- I'm more interested in finding a quick way of ending a conflict instead of taking time to work through it. I want it over, because I prefer to move on.

thumbs up.

sculpting

on the surface we look similar and play the same. Inside we are worlds apart and will never really understand each other. However we can be good friends as we complement.

Be cautious of your third point. By understanding the source of conflict, you can sometimes learn valuable lessons and not repeat the same mistakes in the future. Having said that we ENFPs love to pick the whole damned argument into tiny pieces and psychoanalyze. meh.

Also ENTPs and ego. The biggest issue I think ENTPs face-your actions are misinterrpreted by society. You think-you act-we perceive and misunderstand, then make assumptions about your thoughts. ENFPs will voice this, but the misconception is pervasive through most of the types. It can look like an ENTP has a massive ego, when in reality they are vigorously defending an idea.

Becuase they can be confrontational, rude and assertive, then speak over others, (especially stupid others) it appears as though they think they are better than everyone else.

Because they are absent minded, forgetful, or want to put together a well constructed email, then fail to ever answer the email, it can appear as if they think they are too good to answer your email.

Because they establish short term emotional connectivities that can be intense but then not speak to you for months, it can appear that they are utter douche bags and used you for a quick emo fix-yet they do care and can care very much and be hurt when you reject their friendship as a result.

All we can do from outside is observe and interpret through our own lens.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Because they establish short term emotional connectivities that can be intense but then not speak to you for months, it can appear that they are utter douche bags and used you for a quick emo fix-yet they do care and can care very much and be hurt when you reject their friendship as a result.

Guilty as charged, especially the above. But I do actually care.

(except, I don't speak over others...)

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5

Old thread, great post!

:)

sgtmac_46

MBTI Type
ENTP

ENTP's don't have big egos.......they DO have confidence in their cleverness, which gets mistaken for having a big ego. ENTP's aren't proud of ourselves, we're proud of our IDEAS! It's our ideas we think VERY highly of, not 'self'. We tend to get very insecure when talking about the self. But our IDEAS are GOLDEN!

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
All we can do from outside is observe and interpret through our own lens.
Very true.

But, do some have "better" or more accurately perceptive lenses than others?

I have a lot of confidence in my "lens", I always have.

I trust my lens of perception more than I trust an authority figure's, or an "established" or accepted conception of what's happening.

Granted, I question my lens, my focus, and my ego and how all three are intimately tied together, all the time.

This is what introspection is for me, assessing how, what and why I asses the things I do.

"Seeing" the truth and understanding it is ultra-important for me.

It actually kinda sucks, I constantly fall short of my expectations, of following through, of doing what's right.

More often than not, when making a mistake, I know before and during, "Fuck, I'm making a mistake right now"

I don't know if this is normal, but I feel guilty a lot, every day, in some way, I feel as though I am letting people I love, including myself, down. I'm far from perfect.

When we make ourselves happy, should this then positively affect the ones we love. Because the reverse is not always true, as in, the times I've sacrificed my personal happiness to temporarily make someone I care for happy.

Sorry, this post lacks cohesion.

Just some ramblimg ENFP thoughts.

:)

realmsghzx

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
ENTP
Very true.
"Seeing" the truth and understanding it is ultra-important for me.

I'm an ENTP, and this is very strong within me as well. It could be the cousins thing.

The girl I am most enthralled with that I see is an ENFP. I would say that everything I've read about ENFP + ENTP relationships is pretty spot on. We are eerily similar. We both love EVERY subject. We both love kids and animals, and we both love to teach. We both love to have back and forths of wild, imaginative ideas. We're both assertive, confident, and independent. We both are messy and shitty with deadlines. We both love to travel, together, or alone. She's also the only girl I've been with that allows me to have extramarital relations with other girls while she's out of town, and I let her do the same. We both feel "equal," with each other, and hate for either person to be the dominant person in the relationship. We both also accept that extenuating c The major differences I can spot between us are thus:

- I tire of most people after a while. I love interacting, meeting, and talking with new people, and I feel like I go out of my way to find common ground with people, so that we can bro down on things. I have to see NEW people, though...even some of my best friends bore me in a couple hours, and I feel this strange desire to go out into the world and see what other shit can happen. Ultimately, however, I am generally unconcerned with, and will begin to manipulate, or simply not talk to, these people if
1. They show disinterest in my ideas, or they don't understand my humor.
2. There is nothing for me to gain from the relationship, or
3. They seem "stupid," or "stereotypical."
4. They try to limit me in any of my actions
4. They aren't "honest," or, they fail to recognize the logical inconsistency in their actions. I HATE when I can see through a person's motivation, yet they still lie to my face. (IE, Girls who are promiscuous, and obviously so, yet will call other girls sluts, religious people who claim to be ultrareligious yet they do things against the mantra of their God all the time.)

She, on the other hand, treats EVERYONE like they are her best friend. I haven't met a single person that doesn't like her. She also doesn't try to manipulate or control situations politically for her own gain...it just happens. She also wears her heart on her sleeve, whereas my interactions with people are like, slight variants on characters of who I am, so that I can distance myself and be objective in every situation, and keep my guard up. There are people she doesn't like, and whatnot, but being around her in social situations is almost a stress reliever...I know she will be able to make everyone like her and make them think I'm cool, too. Whereas, I can, by myself, at times, "blow the room." Sometimes everyone hates me, haha.

- I am able to explicitly express everything that comes into my head into words. She cannot. Oftentimes, when I try to ask her to explain how she made a deep decision, it takes her an extremely long time, and we have to have a lot of back and forth to get to an answer. I love these conversations, though. She just, "does." It's how she feels. From an outside look, the decisions are generally good ones, so they seem based on logic. They just aren't.

- She tries to explain to me that she gets an overwhelming feeling, especially in travel, that she is connected to everything and that everything is her. I can logically see how that is possible, however, I only get this, "feeling" if I took 3 ecstacy pills or some mushrooms.

- She has absolutely no connection to money. It could be because of having wealthy parents, but my parents do well, and I still have a longing to have money, all the time. Not necessarily to spend it, but to have it in case a spontaneous situation comes about that can be easily solved with money. It's like, not having money severely limits

- Her "reads" of people are better than mine. She really can guess everything about a person and how they're currently feeling with a glance. Whereas I use a bunch of filters and systems to stereotype a person and guess what they're about.

- Her drive is much, much more focused. She wants to teach 5th graders, (and is excellent at it in every way). I want to be a superstar DJ, linguist, fashionista, MMA fighter, singer/dancer/songwriter, entrepreneur, teacher, social commentator, comedian, philanthropist, and writer.

- I like smoking weed, she likes drinking beer. We both partake in either, but I am generally lighting a blunt as soon as I get home, she is grabbing a beer. Don't know if this has anything to do with anything.

Wow...this is getting too long. WHOOPS.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
First of all I need to say, that there are not many EFPs I like and respect, but nearly every ENTP I know has my respect for his/her character.

The core difference is the system of values. ENTPs have Ti-Fe and ENFPs Fi-Te. That makes a big difference.

While ENTP try to understand nearly everybody and everything, and while they use Fe as a really good tool to get deeper insights, the ENFPs just try to keep their own values active, and they use partially cruel methods because of their tertiary tool Te.

ENFPs give sympathy and antipathy more influence in their life, while ENTPs are more fair. That means, that ENTPs are kind to much people, and loyal to their friends. ENFPs decide faster, if they like someone or dislike him. If someone disagrees to them, they tend to attack them really hard, while ENTPs search a factual discussion.

ENFP see their values in a clear view, and keep them until the bitter end. ENTPs are more flexible in this fact: If someone brings good arguments, they change their view. Yeah, they are searching for this arguments, because change give them opportunity to grow.

There was a situation I were in. There was a huge seminar, 500 people. The leader was ENFP. Of course, there were some critical people, who question the content of the seminar. And when they asked (inclusive me), they asked in an objectively way. But the reaction of the seminar leader was everytime in the same way: He feels hurted, and attacked. This in a rhetoric way, which convince the others, that questions are not necessary. The questioners were socially excluded by this. This ENFP was the least empathic human being I know.

ENTPs I know like questions, because they give them the opportunity to show, that their view of life is reasonable. And they know, when it's time to criticize and when it's socially inacceptable. I cannot imagine, that any ENTP would knowingly say something to others, what will exclude them socially. It seems that ENFPs defend their values at all costs, and when this costs is a human live, they would do even this.

All in all I would recapitulate my real-life experiences with Auxiliary Fi (yes, ESFPs are very similar in this way) in this way:

EXFP: fanatics
ENTP: diplomats

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
On here I've noticed that ENFPs come across as more emo or hippie, and ENTPs come across as more playing jokes on others, which is mostly more entertaining than mean - though I guess some people don't like it.

IRL, I can only compare myself with this one guy who was my friend, and we liked each other at one point. I'm fairly certain he is an ENTP, because he very much has that Ne+Ti quality that I find that I find myself drooling over both IRL life and on the Internets. (For some reason Ne+Ti (or Ti+Ne) strikes me as the smartest thing in the world and I just can't help myself from feeling drawn to it or admiring it, especially in males.) ANYWAY, he also has that Fe quality of just being able to smooth over problems with people, even if inwardly he didn't like those people or hated what they were doing, so he comes across as very likable to everyone, but the reality of the situation is that he's fairly unruffled by things and can even seem flaky or uncaring because despite his developed Fe he is definitely not an F and would use Fe as a means to an end to keep the peace. It does however, on a certain level, basically make him be a pleasant person to be around, someone who is like a natural born teacher.

I think he and I have a lot in common, like the Ne randomness and sort of counter-culture or unstructured mindset, we had lots of intellectual discussions and debates and shared music and stuff. I really enjoyed talking to him more than anything, and had that feeling of admiration for him that I often have for NTP males.

I noticed that the primary difference between us is that I am much more ruffled by things, do not have the NT sense of being centered in the face of asshattery, nor the Fe to pretend long enough to make it okay. I take things much more personally and get much more upset, and he would sympathize with me but in a way get annoyed by it because he doesn't understand that whole Fi/Te thing that NFPs can get when they are hurt or angry.

I actually ended up getting mad at him after about a year because something happened which I am not going to divulge here, but anyway he was indirectly at fault - he could have prevented this thing that happened - and while he apologized, it seemed insincere, and I knew he was just doing that thing where he was pacifying me so I would just shut up and he wasn't really sorry, so now we don't talk anymore.

It's sad because I really liked him and we actually had a great mental connection. But that's my personal story of the perceived difference between ENFP and ENTP.

Bowie

MBTI Type
ENTP
realmsghzx, your relationship with your ENFP girlfriend is eerily similar to the one I have with my ENFP boyfriend. Although I'm the one that's shitty with money, and I'm better at reading people than he is. :D He's usually too worried about "being friends" with them, and I feel like this clouds a lot of his judgment. He has more faith and trust in others, than I do. People have to earn my trust, he seems to give everyone a clean state to begin with.