• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ENFP vs. ENTP

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENFP's want to be loved first and foremost. ENFP's are natural psychologists, liking to understand human personality, relations and systems. They are very sensitive to human communication and will analyze it alot, deriving many possible meanings. ENFP's like to resonate with what the other person is saying, although they will assert their values if needed.

ENTP's want to be admired first and foremost. ENTP's are natural inventors, liking to understand all types of systems around them and generating ideas. They tend to find a more clever way to do many things. ENTP's like debating for debate's sake, and may switch sides regardless of opinion and values.

Yup.

From my experience with both types, I would say that is dead on. ENFPs have ideas and they can be utterly cruel and heartless in the way they express them. ENTPs, on the other hand, share their ideas with a flair for tact and grace.

And yup.

Didn't read the whole thread, but eff it, that's good enough.

looney toon

MBTI Type
extp
i think i speak for many when i say what was that but as an extp i have to say it's true. i have an enfp sister and we spend most of our time together torturing each other because she always has an issue with me saying ^$#@(!#$ cause it violates her values

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Might be right on the ENFP side but I don't agree with the suggested differences on the ENTP side, ENTPs have a strong desire to understand the human condition.

The following could just as easily work:

ENTP's are natural psychologists, liking to understand human personality, relations and systems. They are perceptive to human communication and will analyze it alot, deriving many possible meanings.

We're just more interested in understanding because we find it fascinating than learning because we care about the other person and want to help them.

tortoise

MBTI Type
ENFP
Might be right on the ENFP side but I don't agree with the suggested differences on the ENTP side, ENTPs have a strong desire to understand the human condition.

The following could just as easily work:

We're just more interested in understanding because we find it fascinating than learning because we care about the other person and want to help them.

I am close on the F/T bit of my ENFP. I have a strong desire to UNDERSTAND the human condition as well as CARING about the other person and wanting to help.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I am close on the F/T bit of my ENFP. I have a strong desire to UNDERSTAND the human condition as well as CARING about the other person and wanting to help.

Sure, I'd expect ENFPs to want to understand, I don't disagree that the statement applies to them, I just don't see that aspect as a way to determine an ENFP from an ENTP unless you take into consideration why they want to understand the human condition.

Hey cool TinTin avi!

Vamp

MBTI Type
ENFP
ENFP's want to be loved first and foremost. ENFP's are natural psychologists, liking to understand human personality, relations and systems. They are very sensitive to human communication and will analyze it alot, deriving many possible meanings. ENFP's like to resonate with what the other person is saying, although they will assert their values if needed.

ENTP's want to be admired first and foremost. ENTP's are natural inventors, liking to understand all types of systems around them and generating ideas. They tend to find a more clever way to do many things. ENTP's like debating for debate's sake, and may switch sides regardless of opinion and values.

They want to both help (at least, their own definition of "help") and be liked and admired by other people, on bo th an individual and a humanitarian level.

We want to be admired, too. But understood firstly. Not necessarily "loved" in a relationship, But that's just me.

We also like to debate and switch sides based on being able to understand the opposition and wanting them to get their message across just as well.
Or maybe I'm a weird ENFP.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50

There's also an element of wanting to fix others' problems, and make their lives better. More of a general benevolence than specific.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
We also like to debate and switch sides based on being able to understand the opposition and wanting them to get their message across just as well.
Or maybe I'm a weird ENFP.

You aren't that weird to me.

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
We want to be admired, too. But understood firstly. Not necessarily "loved" in a relationship, But that's just me.

That's how you love an ENFP. You "get" them. You understand their soul.

Any guy that can do that with me... well he'd better be prepared for my onslaught of reciprocal feelings.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
An INTJ partially explained it to me yesterday. As an ENTP, I do have Fe but it is entirely selective. In other words, I am charismatic and nice when I want to be. While a primary or secondary Fe user would be a friendly person on principle, the tertiary user utilises it when they can gain from recognising the needs of others. In other words, they have 'superficial charm'.

Kyrios

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2/6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think this is really wrong. Playing with tertiary functions is a dangerous game my friend. ENFP's are nothing if not charming and subtly manipulative, and I think the assertion that we are "cold and calculating" is borderline insane. ENFP's are warm and emotionally gushy, more so than ENTP's. You should note that feeling is our secondary function while it is tertiary in the ENTP. I agree that we will express Ne ideas forcefully according to our values, but I'm not sure that we use these abilities to dream up sadistic torture methods; we are more likely to use this ability to understand the people around us and try to make others understand as well.
It is true that people vary in ways that may not always be able to be predicted, but Im an ENT?P and I have an INFP girlfriend (who is starting to enjoy more "E" activities) who is very much as Uberfuhrer explained. Perhaps the cold and calculating part is wrong (I do hope) but this girl (though she self-justifyingly thinks she is merciful), is very spiteful and revengeful with me. I used to wrong her b/c I was very miserable with a girl who tried to control me even though we never got to see each other due to her parents. Because of my cheating, she kept a 2-year lie that she had cheated on me, that the guys dick was bigger, that he gave her a hickey on her tit, etc. etc. Normally I wouldnt allow myself to believe this even but she told me this when I was already over it.

shishkabob

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
bahahahaha! that's ridiculous! I see the whole values-oriented thing for enfps (im entp) but, cold and calculating? dude, thats just idiotic

A

A window to the soul

That's how you love an ENFP. You "get" them. You understand their soul.

Any guy that can do that with me... well he'd better be prepared for my onslaught of reciprocal feelings.

Whoa, easy on the cheese!

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
in the enneagram forum, we're disagreeing on whether a funny guy named charlie with a youtube channel is ENTP or ENFP. personally, I think he's ENFP

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
An INTJ partially explained it to me yesterday. As an ENTP, I do have Fe but it is entirely selective. In other words, I am charismatic and nice when I want to be. While a primary or secondary Fe user would be a friendly person on principle, the tertiary user utilises it when they can gain from recognising the needs of others. In other words, they have 'superficial charm'.

Fi rejective PoLR. ENFPs use more of what is classed the Fe archetype than they like to admit and reject Ti.