• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ENFP vs. ENTP

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
What makes them so different??

And what makes them similar? (I dunno, are they even?!)

Also, I would appreciate when sharing your thoughts on this topic, if you could try to focus on relaying your personal opinions based on the observations you have made between the two types, or, if you happen to be either of these types, if you could briefly describe yourself in a paragraph or three.

It would please me much if all ENFPs and ENTPs would share their autobiographical self perceptions/descriptions.

And thank you in advance for indulging my curiosities!!!

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm gonna guess that the ENFP is more of the mean and selfish control freak or cold and calculating bitch (no offense) because of their tertiary Te, while the ENTP is more of the charming, subtly manipulative type because of their tertiary Fe.

Ne will give an ENFP an idea, and they will express their idea in a forceful way due to Te, but according to their values because of Fi. For example, since ENFPs are not necessarily nice, they will likely dream up the most sadistic ideas for revenge on someone who wronged them.

Ne will give an ENTP an idea in a similar manner, which they will express in a more superficial charm sort of way because of their tertiary Fe, but they rationalize their desires better because of Ti.

Ti and Fe (at a lower profile) lead ENTPs to be more bouncy and airy in their expression of crazy Ne ideas, while the Fi, and Te (at a lower profile) would lead ENFPs to be more passionate, forceful, and values-oriented in their expression of crazy Ne ideas.

ferrisbueller

MBTI Type
ENFP
I'm gonna guess that the ENFP is more of the mean and selfish control freak or cold and calculating bitch (no offense) because of their tertiary Te, while the ENTP is more of the charming, subtly manipulative type because of their tertiary Fe.

Ne will give an ENFP an idea, and they will express their idea in a forceful way due to Te, but according to their values because of Fi. For example, since ENFPs are not necessarily nice, they will likely dream up the most sadistic ideas for revenge on someone who wronged them.

Ne will give an ENTP an idea in a similar manner, which they will express in a more superficial charm sort of way because of their tertiary Fe, but they rationalize their desires better because of Ti.

Ti and Fe (at a lower profile) lead ENTPs to be more bouncy and airy in their expression of crazy Ne ideas, while the Fi, and Te (at a lower profile) would lead ENFPs to be more passionate, forceful, and values-oriented in their expression of crazy Ne ideas.

I think this is really wrong. Playing with tertiary functions is a dangerous game my friend. ENFP's are nothing if not charming and subtly manipulative, and I think the assertion that we are "cold and calculating" is borderline insane. ENFP's are warm and emotionally gushy, more so than ENTP's. You should note that feeling is our secondary function while it is tertiary in the ENTP. I agree that we will express Ne ideas forcefully according to our values, but I'm not sure that we use these abilities to dream up sadistic torture methods; we are more likely to use this ability to understand the people around us and try to make others understand as well.

Butterfly

MBTI Type
ENFP

:shock: :shock: :huh: Im in UTTER SHOCK!!
You called ENFPs "mean and selfish control freak or cold and calculating bitch....sadistic and revengeful"????? :O :shock:

*Shattered!!

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
An example, people. An example based on where, what, and how their function orders are. :rolli:

I'm just trying to challenge the stereotype of ENFPs being cheery and friendly.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
ENFP's want to be loved first and foremost. ENFP's are natural psychologists, liking to understand human personality, relations and systems. They are very sensitive to human communication and will analyze it alot, deriving many possible meanings. ENFP's like to resonate with what the other person is saying, although they will assert their values if needed.

ENTP's want to be admired first and foremost. ENTP's are natural inventors, liking to understand all types of systems around them and generating ideas. They tend to find a more clever way to do many things. ENTP's like debating for debate's sake, and may switch sides regardless of opinion and values.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mav's descriptions are more on the right track, based on my experience with each type.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi

From my experience with both types, I would say that is dead on. ENFPs have ideas and they can be utterly cruel and heartless in the way they express them. ENTPs, on the other hand, share their ideas with a flair for tact and grace.

Butterfly

MBTI Type
ENFP
ENFPs have ideas and they can be utterly cruel and heartless in the way they express them.

Actually....I agree!! I had this moment with someone yesterday....and they called me "harsh" and "cold as ice"!! :huh: But I dont blame them, I can switch realllyyyy badly, I even surprise myself.!!

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
ENFPs are almost defined by the opinion of others where as ENTPs are defined inspite of the opinion of others. ENTPs are quite like INTJs I find. Well the more guarded one I know is anyhow.

ENTPs are smartasses (according to my father, though I think he's just had bad experiences myself even if he's right to some extent). ENFPs are less likely to try and fix things for you than an ENTP. They are more likely to try to "be there for you" in a kind of supporting role.

The two are similar in how they formulate ideas. If you see how they link things together the two are twinned in their chaotic but highly inventive links.

Desert Flower

Actually....I agree!! I had this moment with someone yesterday....and they called me "harsh" and "cold as ice"!! But I dont blame them, I can switch realllyyyy badly, I even surprise myself.!!
This is interesting. At times, ENFPs don't like confrontation and will let people get away with all kinds off stuff to be loved, but on the other hand they can come across as tactless and cruel. Is this cruelty only directed at people that ENFPs feel are weaker than them and can't strike back? Or is it some type of backlash from trying to be so nice all the time and keeping the anger pent up?

I find that a person's anger and cruelty tends to be proportional to their sweetness...this is what causes me to feel distrustful of the ENFP I am interacting with.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
From my experience with both types, I would say that is dead on. ENFPs have ideas and they can be utterly cruel and heartless in the way they express them. ENTPs, on the other hand, share their ideas with a flair for tact and grace.

I agreed with both Maverick's and Uber's posts. However, as for ENTPs sharing their ideas with a flair for tact and grace, I think that's when they're in their better moments. Otherwise, from my experience and understanding of them, when they're in their lesser moments they can Fe-it out aggressively/cruelly to prove you logically incorrect if you disagree with them (even if they know you're right or likely more right than them. It's just hard to give in to the other person or be found wrong, I'd think.). But yes, very charming in their better moments, flair for tact and grace and whatever they're trying to sprinkle you with...to Ne-play out with them.

Here's Teritary Tempation for both Introverts and Extroverts. Te for ENFPs and Fe for ENTPs. (Psst, Kiddo, look at Ti for INFJs!! :ninja:)

Tertiary Te: "Unfair!! I have to stick to my guns, I will not be bullied or cheated. Any number of authorities agree with me. All my friends agree with me. Everyone can see that my response is directly mandated by the situation: anything else would be irresponsible. These facts absolutely settle the matter, and there is no point in looking at it any further." The Secondary Function would say: "Fair or not, reasonable or not, recognized by anyone or not, what would truly accomplish some good here?"

Tertiary Fe: "I'll lay a guilt trip on this guy, tell him all I've done for him and suggest that the next time he's in a tough spot, he might need my help. Well, hmm, ok, I'll be all friendly. I'll smile, tell him I like him, what a great guy he is. Well, hmm, that's not working, either. Ok, I'll make him look bad in the eyes of his friends." The Secondary Function would say: "What is the truth? Not what people would agree is true, not an angle on the truth for making it palatable to someone, but the whole, honest truth?"

And CC. ENFPs and ENTPs are mirror cousins in Type. All your Cognitive Processes are the same except with F vs T. So you can seem similar at first glance.

nemo

Enneagram
<3
Just random thoughts before I take a nap:

As I've said elsewhere, my best friend in HS was tested as an ENFP and we used to talk about this stuff a bit.

Similarities:

- Both of us were massive idea generators. For fun we used to get together and write storyboards for movies we'd never make (or sometimes we'd turn them into comic books). They were almost always very comedic/satirical. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say we'd literally keep going for 15+ hours straight at times.

- Very similar sense of humor. The sort of highly extemporaneous kind. We used to have contests to see who could make up the most outlandish story on the spot.

- Working styles were similar. We both suffered from being controlled by capricious, inspiration-driven frenzies with intermittent bouts of laziness.

- Debating. We were both naturally good at it. The debate teacher recruited us the first day of HS after overhearing us in the hallways arguing over something.

- Intellectual curiosity. We were interested in *everything*. Mathematics, poetry, literature, science, life, music, sociology, art, clouds, philosophy, bugs, skipping stones in rivers, exploring, travel, different cultures, etc.

- Related to the above point: I have lots of INTx friends now, and while I like them, many of my hobbies are sort of... "beneath" them. With my ENFP friend, he was willing to go kayaking, camping, hiking, and a lot of other exploratory, but mostly non-intellectual activities with me. I think INTx's are more the "disembodied mind" types.

Differences:

- Sense of people. He was definitely focused more on people. Especially what made them tick. He was much more of a natural psychologist than me. (He's at another school majoring in some sort of counseling now.)

- A little more confrontational when it came to dealing with jerks. I related this story in the other thread, but once we were at a party and someone there casually used the "n"-word. This upset both of us, but he *had* to say something to the guy whereas I was willing to just write him off and leave.

- However, he was a little less of an a**hole when dealing with regular people. I'm prone to doing weird social experiments, like, for instance, borrowing money from a friend over time just to see how much he'll give me (and hence how much I'm worth). I sort of have more of a tendency to objectify human dynamics that way... And what can I say, I'm a curious guy.

- He internalized logic much differently than me. To him, there was room for interpretation when dealing with some part of humanity because it "is subject to the human condition." I found logic beyond interpretation and often wouldn't, fundamentally, treat people any differently than I'd treat numbers. (Fi vs. Ti?)

- I had, and still have, a much bigger impulse to build/invent things. I'm always building a prototype for some new idea I have. He would go along with it, but since he lives 300 miles away now he's basically abandoned carrying out any of his inventions to the prototype stage.

- This is weird, but I was *much* more interested in gossip and the details of mutual friends'/acquaintances' personal lives. I think now that this may be a bit of the tertiary Fe coming through... (And just having too much curiosity.)

- Also weird: even though he was in a drama club, in some ways, I was a better "actor" than him in social situations. I could mask personalities if it suited me in different contexts better. (Again, is this Fe coming through?) To him, doing this was being "inauthentic" or something and, even though he might have been more capable of it, he wouldn't do it out of principle. And the great irony was he was the trained actor! So if he wanted to he could've way outdone me. Although it should be noted that while I may have been a bit better at this, I rarely ever bothered to do it either (but more out of a lack of care than anything).

- He would stay in or dwell over bad/dysfunctional relationships waaaay more. My interest in people can mostly be satisfied from afar, without connecting with them too much. He couldn't do this. He *had* to become personally entangled with other human beings, otherwise he didn't feel like he could understand them fully. (And, consequently, he didn't like this about himself at all; he realized he'd end up hurt most of the time.) I'm mostly just really snoopy and want lots of random information to play with or to see what others do in really odd situations I'd create and psychoanalyze over. I'll think of an example later.

Anyway, I'm going to take a nap now. I've been feeling sort of sick =/ I hope you find something out of this! I <3 ENFPs!!!!

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
- Also weird: even though he was in a drama club, in some ways, I was a better "actor" than him in social situations. I could mask personalities if it suited me in different contexts better. (Again, is this Fe coming through?) To him, doing this was being "inauthentic" or something and, even though he might have been more capable of it, he wouldn't do it out of principle. And the great irony was he was the trained actor! So if he wanted to he could've way outdone me. Although it should be noted that while I may have been a bit better at this, I rarely ever bothered to do it either (but more out of a lack of care than anything).

That's understandable he functioned more as a pro in the area which would seem unethical using the skill to deceive.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5

For example, since ENFPs are not necessarily nice, they will likely dream up the most sadistic ideas for revenge on someone who wronged them.
Amusing, now where did I put that rat trap????

while the Fi, and Te (at a lower profile) would lead ENFPs to be more passionate, forceful, and values-oriented in their expression of crazy Ne ideas.
Accurate, now where should I place my bare toes???

I agree that we will express Ne ideas forcefully according to our values,... we are more likely to use this ability to understand the people around us and try to make others understand as well.
Very true.

ENFP's want to be loved first and foremost. ENFP's are natural psychologists, liking to understand human personality, relations and systems. They are very sensitive to human communication and will analyze it alot, deriving many possible meanings. ENFP's like to resonate with what the other person is saying, although they will assert their values if needed.
Disturbingly accurate.

ENFPs have ideas and they can be utterly cruel and heartless in the way they express them..
:shock:

ENFPs are almost defined by the opinion of others where as ENTPs are defined inspite of the opinion of others.
. ENFPs are less likely to try and fix things for you than an ENTP. They are more likely to try to "be there for you" in a kind of supporting role.
According to these assessments, I'd most definitely be an ENTP :huh: .

The two are similar in how they formulate ideas. If you see how they link things together the two are twinned in their chaotic but highly inventive links.
Can't disagree with that. ;)

At times, ENFPs don't like confrontation and will let people get away with all kinds off stuff to be loved
Yes, it is true that at times we do not like confrontation, however, we, or I, at least, will/would *never* "let people get away with all kinds off stuff (solely) to be loved". If I am desperate of anything in regards to relating with others, it would be that of making an honest connection, and not of needing to feel loved or admired by them.

but on the other hand they can come across as tactless and cruel.
Tactless? At times, yes. Cruel? Never.

Is this cruelty only directed at people that ENFPs feel are weaker than them and can't strike back?
This is so antithetical to the person I am, and the way I conduct myself, that it damn near renders me speechless. I am assuming that most, if not all other ENFPs would agree that this behavior is not indicative of them.

Or is it some type of backlash from trying to be so nice all the time and keeping the anger pent up?
Sometimes I do get frustrated with constantly having to be, the "bigger" person, but I appropriately vent my frustrations, out loud and into space, in the company of a disinterested third party, (who usually happens to be my older sister).

I find that a person's anger and cruelty tends to be proportional to their sweetness...this is what causes me to feel distrustful of the ENFP I am interacting with.
It's been my experience that girls who are "sweet", tend not only to have retractable fangs, but to also harbor insidious intentions.

And fyi, I would never describe myself as sweet, rather, I think, kind, would be a more accurate description.

I believe most ENFPs, like myself, are BIG into sincerity.

I wear my emotions on my face, and reveal my intentions in my words, and if there is anything more that I hate than being forced or being phony, it is that of being forced to be fake/phony.

Nameless

MBTI Type
ENFP
(I completely agree with Nemo's post)

I was in an engineering design class in a 7-person group with an ENTP and we both took over the group in a kind of shared leadership type of thing. We had similar opinions about almost everything, but also had our own specialties. While we were both pretty inventive, his ideas for the engineering design of our product were better. I, on the other hand, was better at getting the members of the group to do whatever needed to be done and to feel good about doing it and at dealing with our psycho professor. He could usually logic their way into doing something, but wasn't as good at getting around personal barriers or resistance if there was any. I also handled the writing, which he tended to like to avoid, while he did a lot of the more complex 3-D modeling. Together, we made an awesome team.

After I took the MBTI test at our career center, I got really excited about it and tried to get all my friends to go. He was one of the few that actually went. After the test, when we found out he was an ENTP, our counselor offered to let us copy our profile sections out of her gigantic book. I grabbed the thing first and took it in to make ENFP copies. I also copied his ENTP section. When I took it to him, he looked really surprised that I would do that (even though we'd been friends for a while). The counselor who did both of our tests saw his face and said, "its because he's an 'F'..."

Nameless

MBTI Type
ENFP
This is interesting. At times, ENFPs don't like confrontation and will let people get away with all kinds off stuff to be loved, but on the other hand they can come across as tactless and cruel. Is this cruelty only directed at people that ENFPs feel are weaker than them and can't strike back? Or is it some type of backlash from trying to be so nice all the time and keeping the anger pent up?

I have had the pent-up anger happen to me a couple of times. Usually, it will happen over small annoyances when I am super stressed out or something. Sometimes people who are paying close attention will catch it and give me this "whoa" look. But usually nothing too major.

This one time though...I went on a study abroad trip with this girl and this guy for 6 months and they always fought
and it was usually her fault. It almost ruined the experience, it got so bad. I never said anything about it not wanting to take sides among two friends who really wanted me to take sides. After 6 months of holding it in, I was drunk and basically just said all these horrible things to her . I have no idea what I said, I just remember the guy next to me who had been listening was like "man, that's F'd up..." and her leaving. I didn't really hate her, it was just 6 months of building-up pressure that got let out in like 3 minutes. So yeah, that can be a problem I guess sometimes.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
- A little more confrontational when it came to dealing with jerks. I related this story in the other thread, but once we were at a party and someone there casually used the "n"-word. This upset both of us, but he *had* to say something to the guy whereas I was willing to just write him off and leave.

Reminds me of the difference between my INTJ sis and myself. I'm more likely to *have* to say something whereas my sis is more willing to write it off and leave too. I suppose he wouldn't give up either to make his point or to help another person he feels has been wronged (to help them but also use their emotions as fuel to motivate him ?). You guys (not your friend :D) are horrible! ;) But it's good in learning to balance both ways, I'd think (I'm trying, anyway)

I'm prone to doing weird social experiments, like, for instance, borrowing money from a friend over time just to see how much he'll give me (and hence how much I'm worth). I sort of have more of a tendency to objectify human dynamics that way... And what can I say, I'm a curious guy.

Good to know... I suspected this of ENTPs. :dry: Randomly Ne-spill out more secrets, please. Ni appreciates the warning.

- He internalized logic much differently than me. To him, there was room for interpretation when dealing with some part of humanity because it "is subject to the human condition." I found logic beyond interpretation and often wouldn't, fundamentally, treat people any differently than I'd treat numbers. (Fi vs. Ti?)

I think that's about right. Fi vs Ti in that sense. Fi being subjective even with objective material vs Ti being objective even with subjective material. And um, again, I think balance would be nice. :ninja:

- Also weird: even though he was in a drama club, in some ways, I was a better "actor" than him in social situations. I could mask personalities if it suited me in different contexts better. (Again, is this Fe coming through?)

Not weird. Just you. You're weird. :blink: Yup, both cases seem to be Fe coming through. In the second case, you know you can use it to your advantage and you have (and will as it works. Why not?).

Anyway, I'm going to take a nap now. I've been feeling sort of sick =/ I hope you find something out of this! I <3 ENFPs!!!!

I certaintly gathered something of this. And none of it was random as you play it, though you likely randomly picked them out and spit them through your fingers...Ne Ne Ne trigger-fingers! Feel better. I wonder if I can be objective about that? :blink:

CC, you're here, lovely! ;) I'm curious to hear more of your thoughts, especially on nemo's post. Very insightful.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
On the phone right now.

Hiya DD!!!!!

Let's tag team nemo. :yes: