123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default How does Ne/Fi Work Together Vs. Fi/Ne

I know an ENFP and INFP extremely well. They both use Ne and Fi but in reverse order.

ENFP - Ne > Fi > Te > Si
    INFP - FI > Ne > Si > Te

We talk so much about the individual functions but I'm interested in how these two work together in different ways, given the reverse ordering. Of course, they have reversed ordering in the tertiary and inferior functions as well.

An example - I once heard the INFP, when the ENFP's Te task master comes out, says that the ENFP makes her feel unstable.

So, how do you think the ENFP and INFP are different and why specifically related to the ordering of these two primary and auxiliary functions? Also consider the tertiary and inferior as well if you like.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Yes! I can't wait to see the distinction on this.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

i think Te Si vs Si Te makes equally big difference than Ne Fi vs Fi Ne. i think when the Ne is dom function instead of Fi, it naturally makes Fi not so much used and leaves room for Te in decision making. i think besides of that its just mostly about extroverting more when extroverted function is dominating. but it all depends on the person, some ENFPs might be more in tuned with their Fi than some INFP. differences of the two types come mostly out in extroversion, how they behave when pissed off or stressed etc. also they are different in different ways when they are like 16 years old and like 30, due to development of tertiary function.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Professional Trickster Esoteric Wench's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Highlander, thanks for creating this thread. There seems to be a strong chronological component re: our hierarchy of functions. This is why two personality types can have the exact same top four functions (e.g., INFJ and ISTP) and yet interact with the world sooo differently. Therefore, I long ago concluded that the order in which an INFP / ENFP uses her functions makes a big difference in how these functions manifest and drive our personalities.

Function order of INFPs & ENFPs
    INFP - Fi > Ne > Si > Te
    ENFP - Ne > Fi > Te > Si

My INFP BFF and I are sooooo much alike. We see the world in similar ways and have that whole Fi shorthand going on that make communication between us seem so effortless. But over time, I've become aware of some rather profound differences in the way each of us interacts with the world.

Dom Fi vs. Dom Ne: Ensuring things are as they should be versus understanding how things are
    It is my observations that my INFP best friend spends a lot of time thinking about if X, Y, and Z are congruous with her vision about the way X, Y, and Z should be. In other words, she is always running an Fi values integrity check. It seems to me that what is of utmost importance to her is feeling that her world is a reflection of that vision. Voila dominant Fi.

Whereas, I like to take in new information just for the sake of taking in new information. I don't necessarily ask myself if it is consistent with my Fi values. (Although often I do ask this.) Of the utmost importance to me is understanding the world around me. Voila dominant Ne.

Auxiliary Ne vs. Auxiliary Fi
    I've observed that my INFP uses her Ne not to take in new information just for the shear joy of it (which is what I do). Instead she uses her Ne to see every possible permutation of her Fi values integrity checks. By the same token, I use my Fi to run a values check after I take in new information and my Fi does not often affect, or filter, the information I seek.

The difference between Aux Ne vs. Aux Fi positions is verbally subtle, but behaviorally profound. In sum, I'd say that as an ENFP, I'm stuck more information gathering mode. While my INFP BFF is stuck more in Fi evaluation mode.

^^^^
    I'm sort of figuring this out as I write it, so feedback from other ENFPs and INFPs would be appreciated.
    ENFP with kick*ss Te | 7w8 so | ♀

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i'm fascinated by this as well. my bf is an infp and we've had many discussions trying to figure it out...we've come to some of the same conclusions as ew but a lot is still fuzzy.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric Wench View Post
    Dom Fi vs. Dom Ne: Ensuring things are as they should be versus understanding how things are
    It is my observations that my INFP best friend spends a lot of time thinking about if X, Y, and Z are congruous with her vision about the way X, Y, and Z should be. In other words, she is always running an Fi values integrity check. It seems to me that what is of utmost importance to her is feeling that her world is a reflection of that vision. Voila dominant Fi.

Whereas, I like to take in new information just for the sake of taking in new information. I don't necessarily ask myself if it is consistent with my Fi values. (Although often I do ask this.) Of the utmost importance to me is understanding the world around me. Voila dominant Ne.
    This is fair statement. I certainly focus on my opinion or at least the 'should' of things a great deal when taking in new information. It has been said that INFPs do tend to be quite 'judgey' about the world around them (not necessarily in a negative sense) but then I suspect that I am more openly opinionated than most INFPs so I can't say. I guess ENFPs do tend to take things as they are without solidifying a perspective too quickly. Ne is about possibilities, so to lead with it would naturally result in some degree of open-mindedness.

I've observed that my INFP uses her Ne not to take in new information just for the shear joy of it (which is what I do). Instead she uses her Ne to see every possible permutation of her Fi values integrity checks. By the same token, I use my Fi to run a values check after I take in new information and my Fi does not often affect, or filter, the information I seek.

The difference between Aux Ne vs. Aux Fi positions is verbally subtle, but behaviorally profound. In sum, I'd say that as an ENFP, I'm stuck more information gathering mode. While my INFP BFF is stuck more in Fi evaluation mode.
    I do love to take in information for the sake of it but I perhaps less so than ENFPs. I was having a conversation yesterday where I discussed moral questions with a friend without any interest of actually forming a position on it - I just wanted to raise various points and talk about the issues at play. I love that Ne tangential thinking without an end. I suppose ENFPs just do it more often than I do.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

more posts please!
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

I'm scrappy doo, they're scooby doo.

OK, maybe not.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric Wench View Post
    Highlander, thanks for creating this thread. There seems to be a strong chronological component re: our hierarchy of functions. This is why two personality types can have the exact same top four functions (e.g., INFJ and ISTP) and yet interact with the world sooo differently. Therefore, I long ago concluded that the order in which an INFP / ENFP uses her functions makes a big difference in how these functions manifest and drive our personalities.

Function order of INFPs & ENFPs
    INFP - Fi > Ne > Si > Te
    ENFP - Ne > Fi > Te > Si

My INFP BFF and I are sooooo much alike. We see the world in similar ways and have that whole Fi shorthand going on that make communication between us seem so effortless. But over time, I've become aware of some rather profound differences in the way each of us interacts with the world.

^^^^
    I'm sort of figuring this out as I write it, so feedback from other ENFPs and INFPs would be appreciated.
    well said. but its at least equally important to look at SiTe vs TeSi, so talking only about NeFi vs FiNe doesent explain much when you compare enfp to infp. imo when you start looking at tertiary function the difference comes more clear, since enfp and infp both usually have reasonable good Ne and Fi, but infps usually have quite lower Te than enfps and enfps usually have quite much lower Si than infps.

how would you compare your TeSi vs SiTe?
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    well said. but its at least equally important to look at SiTe vs TeSi, so talking only about NeFi vs FiNe doesent explain much when you compare enfp to infp. imo when you start looking at tertiary function the difference comes more clear, since enfp and infp both usually have reasonable good Ne and Fi, but infps usually have quite lower Te than enfps and enfps usually have quite much lower Si than infps.

how would you compare your TeSi vs SiTe?
    absolutely...i can definitely feel the difference between si/te vs te/si
    -Jim Morrison