"Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I do love to take in information for the sake of it but I perhaps less so than ENFPs. I was having a conversation yesterday where I discussed moral questions with a friend without any interest of actually forming a position on it - I just wanted to raise various points and talk about the issues at play. I love that Ne tangential thinking without an end. I suppose ENFPs just do it more often than I do.
    Apologies for going all meta, but is this not Fi making the decision that you're currently in the mood for taking in information? That Fi is the one who 'decided' that you have no interest in taking a moral position?
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think it's analogous to the brainstorming process. Fi converges and Ne diverges. For an Fi/Ne user, Fi would start with a baseline judgment based on existing values, knowledge, etc. Ne would then be used refine/change that judgment or come up with more evidence to support the decision.

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Can't say for certain, but I think a key distinction is that when the pressure's applied, Fi/Ne's tendency is to withdraw and reflect to try and come to some greater understanding about the situation, while Ne/Fi will go to war to set things right again. Tertiaries at work - Si wants things to feel right again, while Te wants to make things right again.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

^ i would agree with this.

i also see Ne dominant in the way i tend to handle tense situations. i like to... "slip" my way out. a combination of loopholes and a little genuineness, but mostly loopholes. i think INFPs are the other way around. mostly genuineness, with a little bit of loophole. but like onemoretime said, if i'm under serious pressure, shit is getting done. the INFPs i know do not get the Te-craze.

also another aspect might be the quandaries we tend to get ourselves in. Ne doms get lost in information. we keep gathering, and getting nowhere, hoping that the answer is somewhere just beyond the horizon. Fi doms, i suspect, would tend more to get lost in feeling. of course we can both go into overdrive in either function, but i suspect the dom's issue is more chronic and debilitating and the aux's more temporary and acute.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    also another aspect might be the quandaries we tend to get ourselves in. Ne doms get lost in information. we keep gathering, and getting nowhere, hoping that the answer is somewhere just beyond the horizon. Fi doms, i suspect, would tend more to get lost in feeling. of course we can both go into overdrive in either function, but i suspect the dom's issue is more chronic and debilitating and the aux's more temporary and acute.
    Sounds right. Ne-Te(?) explodes like the Big Bang into an ever expanding universe of possibilities. Fi-Si collapses inwards like dying star, causing a black hole that sucks everything in

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Lenore Thomson spends time talking about this in her book "Personality Type."

Pgs 374 and 375 deal with Fi in EFP's [with special focus on ENFPs], and Ne [or Se] for IFP's. I don't feel like quoting 2 pages of material here.

However, I will quote some other stuff. From pg 397: "Intuition doesn't push INFP's to act. It pushes therm to interpret: to see the potential of their thoughts and behaviors in terms of their ideals.
    Because their ideals are wholistic, INFPs feel responsible not only for their actions but for their desire to take action, and they have a nearly karmic idea of balance. If they betray their ideals in either deed or feeling, they try to make restitution. When good things happen, they may worry about paying a price.
    It's instructive to compare these types to ENFPs, who share the same two functions but understand life very differently. ENFPs rely on intuition to gauge the nature of an external context and feeling to recognize the values of the people in it. The best illustration of how this works is President Clinton's unrivaled ability to identify with an audience and sympathize with their aspirations. ENFPs generally believe that people will recognize their good intentions, even if their behaviors fall short of them.
    INFPs approach reality form the other way around. Introverted feeling prompts them to hold unconditional human values, and they use intuition to figure out what that means in terms of their existential context. Asked whether he had ever had an extramarital affair, President Jimmy Carter said no but allowed that he had experienced "lust in his heart." This is a quintessential INFP perspective. Such types feel responsible for their hidden intentions, even if their behaviors exceed people's expectations."

I would say the whole chapter on IFPs in Thomson's book is informative. It's discussed with a lot of overlap between Se and Ne types. While ENFP is overlapped with ENTP (rather than ESFP). While both are Fi, the dominant function plays the biggest part in differences (I'm assuming). Not Si and Te.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

my problem with lenore thomson:

Quote Originally Posted by Solitary Walker
    To her an extrovert is someone that's primarily oriented in an extraverted way: they get their bearings by looking at what is easily perceivable here and now. For extraverts, directions are meaningful only if they relate to present circumstances. They feel somewhat disoriented by extended examinations of maps: maps (especially of a more abstract kind) are not easily perceivable and do not relate in an obvious way to what is easily perceivable right now..

In the way she seems to be using the term 'extrovert', it is better thought of as not 'E' in the MBTI code, but rather attunement with the external concrete environment. By that model, an extrovert is one who is more oriented by physical action and introvert one more oriented by contemplation.

In this regard the IS better identifies with Extroversion and EN with introversion. As ENs are more idea oriented rather than action oriented as their worldview is unmistakably abstract. ISs however, are more action oriented due to their attunement with the concrete environment of the external world. They may spend more time in contemplation, yet all of their contemplation is closely associated with the concrete world of sensation. Yet ENs may spend more time in the world of external affairs than the ISs, however, because they are concerned with applying ideas to the external world and not just experiencing it, it would be safe to grant that they are in closer affinity with the mind than the external world.
    also she makes us sound like we're only interested in people to clinch some sale or gain the most votes, god forbid an ENFP be interested in helping someone else because it's kind. or like that p397 quote, makes us sound like flakes and manipulators in contrast with INFP's admirable moralism. barf.

I appreciate your perspective for sure, and I think there's something to what you're saying, but if we were talking about sources, I really would have to be paid to choose SolitaryWalker's word over Lenore Thomson's. Except I don't know if I really could do that either. Morals and such, j/k XD

The problem is that I've never heard him support anything written about MBTI except his own self-published book. Apparently everything else is "folk typology". It doesn't help that he's a passive-aggressive jerk. At least, his SolitaryWalker persona was.