• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJ and the Military

bgmINFP/J

MBTI Type
INFJ
I am just curious I have taken the MB test several times and it always ends up telling me that I am an INFJ/P and recommends that I pursue Psych or counseling etc. but I am finding myself very attracted to the military.

I am attracted to the discipline and strength of soldiers, and I feel that THE GOOD ONES who fight for true freedom are affecting the world in a way that a counselor simply couldn't.

While the wars that we fight today are VERY controversial, I have done the research (I have a BA in history) and I feel that our efforts in places like Afghanistan, N. Korea etc. are truly humanitarian at their core and without the military's protection, aid could never be brought to these broken nations. While civilian casualties, the horror that is post-war Iraq, etc. make it hard to appreciate the military, I feel that (GOOD) soldiers are really making a difference without getting much support for their sacrifices.

Can any other INFJ's see where I am coming from or provide some advice? I know our type tends to idealize things, but the idea of being an officer and really getting to know and lead my men while working towards ridding the world of cruel, manipulative regimes really appeals to me in a way that sitting behind a desk and counseling addicts or people with depression does not. Thanks!

KDude

I'm not INFJ, but "ideal" doesn't necessarily mean you're Jesus. I don't think everyone's path is going to take them towards the ultimate expression of harmony (uh.. not even Jesus was that way, for the record). Ideal would generally mean that you expand your ethical views beyond some personal or communal interest (I suppose). Even that is probably is simplifying it. Either way, I don't think it's out of line that an INFJ joined the military. Rampant patroitism.. probably not compatible with the mindset. Even then however, there's probably a weird INFJ like that too.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
They don't give a damn what you feel in the military.. just bear that in mind. Oh.. they don't give a damn what you think either.
You will not be able to offer "just one more perspective".

I can't see an INFJ thriving such an environment.. But that's just me.

Virulence

MBTI Type
INFJ
I believe anyone can find a way to thrive in any environment, even an uncomfortable one.

That said - I've been down the path of the military before. I bought into the notion of being a patriot, serving my country, and I was even pretty okay with the idea of sacrificing myself if it meant protecting the ideas of "freedom" and "liberty." When it really came time to sell myself into it or walk away, I had to walk away. Being regarded as just a nine-digit number and a bar code set off alarm bells, and I felt like I had to sell myself and be something different in order to walk down that path. I couldn't let myself be part of something so cold. That aspect of it was terrible, but meeting different people - dozens of amazing people with amazing stories that I was able to interact with and become friends with was an incredible experience, and it really opened my eyes and killed the sense of cynicism I had had towards people up to that point. If you can look past the colossal, cold machine and focus on the interactions with people around you, I think an INFJ (or anyone!) could do really well in that environment.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
So have I considered joining.. But they don't appreciate free thinking individuals. What they want are people who blindly follow orders to kill. Killing doesn't seem to be an NFJ type of activity.. maybe I am wrong.
Even if you never see combat .. It's a world ruled by Te..

KDude

It's a world ruled by Te..

This is very true. I don't dislike Te actually, but I do on a systematic, rigid... plodding.. unchangeable scale. :cheese: As for the killing people comment, I think a great majority of military life isn't like that. I'm only coming from the perspective of an "air force brat" though (marines are an entirely different beast). From what I can tell, the average Air Force job is personnel/adminstrative atmospheres and getting to meet/see different sides of life like Virulence mentioned.

ilovelurking

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm from Singapore. The military works differently over here.

The military is more focused on aid instead of sending troops over for war. However, I believe I can kill if it is necessary. It might not necessarily be an easy thing for me to do and I might be traumatised for having taken away a soul who also fights to defend his country.

Ingrid in grids

Can any other INFJ's see where I am coming from or provide some advice? I know our type tends to idealize things, but the idea of being an officer and really getting to know and lead my men while working towards ridding the world of cruel, manipulative regimes really appeals to me in a way that sitting behind a desk and counseling addicts or people with depression does not. Thanks!

Hey Bgm. I'm INFJ and interestingly I too have considered joining the defense forces, although not with hopes for becoming a soldier. I'm an Australian and also a Med hopeful. Over here, the DF offer sponsorship (very generous, too) to med students, engineers etc. during their studies in return for service after they graduate. While not having to worry about money too much during full-time study is certainly a motivator, I also find the prospect of using my degree to carry out aid work very attractive (prior to this I was researching MSF for similar opportunities). Before you serve, you also receive officer training as a part of the deal - another interesting opportunity and pull factor, for sure.

However I disagreed with what you said in the paragraph that I've quoted.. I personally would find counseling the more fulfilling vocation. I'm repelled by violence and fighting for an outcome on such a grand scale (such as the "ridding the world of cruel, manipulative regimes" that you mentioned) would be too much of a detached (from the overall objective, I mean) and drawn out process for me. I think I would constantly question my own personal contribution, its significance and how much good and peace I was creating on a smaller scale. On the other hand, I feel that in the counselling job, I would find the more immediate outcomes through working with someone one-to-one far more rewarding.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I have only ever thought of pursuing the military path of life for the fact that I would like to have a sniper rifle and the necessary training in the inevitable post-apocalyptic world.

KDude

I have only ever thought of pursuing the military path of life for the fact that I would like to have a sniper rifle and the necessary training in the inevitable post-apocalyptic world.

Don't get forget zombies either. :cool:

bgmINFP/J

MBTI Type
INFJ
Yes MOST jobs in the military are support. Whether that means guard duty, cooking, building infrastructure, protecting convoys, and unloading planes. My goal is never to "kill" the enemy simply because that's what I'm told to do. Many soldiers are part of teams that work to change the indigenous population's view of our presence by handing out aid and TALKING to them to learn about their situations (I believe this group is called PYSOP in the Army). This idea thrills me! Getting out among a group of people raised in a society completely different from mine, learning who they are, and making sure they understand that, despite what they may have heard, our presence is in the end there to help.

The only problem is that the military doesn't seem to care what your strengths they, they simply need a warm body to do the labor. Many times the MOS (job) you "sign up" for is mysteriously not available once you are assigned to a unit, so this scares me. I would not want to end up on an IED (bomb) disposal unit or something, although this too would be contributing to a good cause. These bombs not only kill Americans, but soldiers from their own country, the 43 other UN militaries present, and even innocent civilians.

My greatest fear in life is being maimed, paralyzed, blinded, or just plain disfigured so i am having to deal with these ideas. MILLIONS of innocent people suffer these same horrors every year at the hands of these cruel and controlling regimes (look at N. Korea...wow), so I believe the sacrifice would be worth it, but lo and behold....i like my arms and legs and want to keep them right where they are......We'll see what happens.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I once met a guy from Poland who has been in a lot of militaries. I had a drink with him in a bar and we talked about philosophy for like 5 hours in the night. He was a very intresting guy and so much infj it was frightening. I had to think of Peguy when I met him, I imagined that must be his brother :). The 'friends' I went to the bar with that night later asked me why I was speaking to a homeless guy; I didnt even notice that he was a homeless guy. He didnt ask me for a drink or anything on the contrary he was eager to pay his own bill and declined my offerings to invite him on drinks.

Well... I can imagine infjs are good army material. I'ld even suspect them of having blind and unquestioning faith in authority. But that's why entps aint good army material, they got problems with authority and that's another story :)

S

Sniffles

Many soldiers are part of teams that work to change the indigenous population's view of our presence by handing out aid and TALKING to them to learn about their situations (I believe this group is called PYSOP in the Army).
That maybe part of it, but PYSOP or those who engage in pyschological operations is mainly aimed at undermining the morale of the enemy combatants IIRC.

This idea thrills me! Getting out among a group of people raised in a society completely different from mine, learning who they are, and making sure they understand that, despite what they may have heard, our presence is in the end there to help.

From what I've heard from veterans from both Iraq and Afghanistan, that can be a very thankless job in more than one ways. Even if and when some of the natives start trusting you, that immediately marks them for potential assasination by the enemy as a warning to others. This even can happen to women who merely look at you. So you may live with the guilt that maybe you helped get someone killed or deal with the person's family blaming you. Also by learning about the native culture, you'll probably find out that they have their way of doing things and don't care what foreigners have to say.

So you'll have to take this into account.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think that INFJ's are the NF type most likely to join the military, and here and there I have heard of quite a few, relatively speaking.

It may be interesting to note that a few of my military peers [I was civilian btw] were potential INFJ's. We took an official MBTI test for work there. I've also heard the most reference to INFJ's of all the NF when talking about people who were talking about thier time in the military.

Nameless Hero

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
I served 8 years in the US Marine Corps as a Sergeant. I was infantry, 0341, mortar man. I test as an INFP, but I reject the label. I am an intuitive perceiving type. The other parts of the profile are irrelevant to me.

That said, you must lust strongly for the defeat of your enemies. You must seek out the hottest girl in the planet, fuck her hard, and lick her pretty pussy. Your life must become pure testosterone. No obstacle can stand in your way. Immerse your self in pain and lust. Embrace all things through willpower and fanaticism. Know that you can kill. You should find mortal danger to be something that is relaxing, even liberating for your psyche.

War is violence pushed to its utmost bounds. It is primordial hatred. It is the perfect job for "feeling" types.

It is pure emotion.

There is ample room for creativity in the Marines, as long as it is how you achieve results in battle. No Marine is a cog in a machine. Seek out great achievements and you will be respected. Win honors for the Corps and honor will come to you.

A leader must be independent minded. There is little interest in the Marines for a person who is a robot. Marines are expected to thrill their commander with their independence. We are "set loose" to destroy the enemy, like the winds of fate or killer-angels of the book of the revelation. We are "set loose" - think about what that means. We are autonomous, like forces of nature. We are not cogs in a machine. We are like Poseidon rising from the sea.

I'd say go for it. It is all about having a "visionary drive." In Marine jargon that is called having a "hard on." If you have the "hard on" for it, do it.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
BMS, another INFJ, is about to enter in.

If an ENFP can do it, I'm sure an INFJ can.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Who said anything about being able???

Tolerating something is not the same as thriving. Anybody can take on a challenge and win.

It's what the NF must sacrifice in his/herself in order to do so.. I can't see all these people obsessed with their individuality and their expression enjoying a world of Te and conformity.

NFJs are perhaps some the worst people I have ever encountered when it comes to taking orders. Me included.

I understand the appeal of structure and disciplined self control .
But there is a reason "Military" does not come up on NF job descriptions.
Because it's generally not the place for NFs.. There are always exceptions and people who test incorrectly.

Also there are all sorts of ways to meet and interact with people from all over the place with all sorts of cool experiences to share.. Try a University :)

chachamaru

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
?
Weapons, warfare, death and an INFJ...

Makes me think you're not an INFJ.

I call foul.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
There are also threads on this site and others like this site.. Where INFJs go on for pages and pages about the "correct way" to deliver criticism to them.
This will go down real well with your Drill Instructor :laugh: