Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    EXPP

I was also siting Keirsey. (spelling?)
    a cat is fine too

Quote Originally Posted by chachamaru View Post
    I was also siting Keirsey. (spelling?)
    Fair enough. I definitely don't think it's an easy question at least. And I think many are remarkable in swinging towards pacifism and seeing consequences far ahead that avoid conflict. I would never say "Yeah, sure, they're definitely into guns or something." But.. there's all kinds of other factors in human behavior that could provoke INFJ to tap into other sides of themselves as well. MBTI is not the only science (it's not even science) to factor in here. I mean, we're all basically striving for self-preservation and surivival, aren't we? Whether we're malicious or benevolent, there's always that factor in human (and animal) behavior. I'm having a hard time seeing how it could be nonexistent in certain types.

Even MLK Jr., who I think was probably INFJ -and a model for nonviolence.. made a strategic choice to go that way. Early on when he was just getting in the civil rights movement, he owned a gun for protection. He talked about getting rid of it, because it'd "look" bad in light of his cause and message. That was partly a conscious move on his part though. He had it in them at one point to think that owning a gun was OK.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    EXPP

Maybe that was his intuition tapping into something greater...

NPR's MLK program was beautiful this year...

a cat is fine too

Maybe that was his intuition tapping into something greater...

NPR's MLK program was beautiful this year...

Maybe..

I usually listen to NPR, but I missed that. I'll look it up

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    EXPP

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/17/132905...cts-on-king-jr

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/17/132905...cts-on-king-jr

I cried at work.

I also cry at work when listening to my pastor's sermons.
    a cat is fine too

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Jung himself said "Every person is the exception to the rule."

So while the odd INFJ or NF might enjoy a military life, the people who are making it sound run of the mill, need a reality check.

Carry on

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    ILE

I would agree that thriving in the military is hard, because the military cares so little about war. The professional soldier is a middle manager wearing camo. War is about vision, drive, inspiration, and energy. All of these are directed towards an external object - the enemy. But the middle manager is about known, routine methods. His focus is internal - towards rules. The enemy is unpredictable. Paperwork is predictable. There is a mismatch between real war and a peacetime military. Thus, many veterans have an ambivalent attitude towards the military.

But it is awesome. You will have a great time with your friends. NF's will do well in the junior ranks where the administrative focus is not as noticeable.
    The MBTI types me as an INFP, however, SOCIONICS calls me an Logical Intuitive Extram (called an ENTj in our terms.)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

A few observations on the OP:

1. Any type can succeed and get something out of the military, IF they go into it with their eyes open, understanding that the environment may be quite a change from what they are used to, and understanding their strengths and weaknesses (potential incompatibilities) from the outset. You may have to be creative in being yourself and exercising your individuality, but it can be done. In fact, the types that are relatively rare in the military can offer it valuable skills and perspective (break the groupthink).

2. Going into the military isn't forever. Whether you enlist, or enter a commissioning program, your commitment is over in a few years. If it turned out to be really not for you, you now have some great experience (and experiences) to take elsewhere.

3. If you are interested in counseling, or feel you would do well in that occupation, you could do that in the military. There is certainly a demand for it, with all the trauma the troops experience on deployments and then trying to return their normal life stateside.

(FWIW, I have served in the military, though not gone overseas.)

Sniffles

If someone abhors something, will they use it?

If the INFJ abhors violence, will the INFJ use it?

The INFJ abhors violence, therefore they will not use it.

A soldier is not a job that an INFJ will embrace. This often includes the use of violence, or at least the training of learning to use violence. This would upset INFJ sensibilities.
    Keep talking......keep talking.

Concerning Socionics, interesting how Field-Marshal Friedrich von Paulus, the German commander at Stalingrad, is classifed as INFj. Dostovesky and Solzhenitsyn were both INFJs and also served in the Russian military, and Solzhenitsyn proved himself a capable officer in WWII until his arrest.
    Last edited by Sniffles; 02-23-2011 at 10:42 AM.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

If someone abhors something, will they use it?

If the INFJ abhors violence, will the INFJ use it?

The INFJ abhors violence, therefore they will not use it.

A soldier is not a job that an INFJ will embrace. This often includes the use of violence, or at least the training of learning to use violence. This would upset INFJ sensibilities.
    Sorry, these sorts of statements/views of mbti are just silly.

You're picking up a nice little INFJ Keirsey/mbti stereotypical description and planting it on someone. The descriptions are just descriptions - they're archetypes, almost cartoons in some ways. People can deviate quite a lot from the stereotypes, particularly when you factor in life experiences as well as *personal values*/driving motivations and passions in life.

There's nothing about having a cognitive function set of NiFeTiSe that means they're incapable of being in the army, or finding it meaningful (it sounds like the OP has a very strong drive/'mission' and sees the army as a way to actualize some of these values/beliefs). Given larger goals / visions, and a belief that what one is doing is helping the larger picture and grander cause, all of the 'details' of violence may not offend the sensibilities of some INFJ's. I mean, there are a great number of F's - probably more than T's - who are the ones who are going to harden themselves to short-term losses because they're focused on what they see as a greater good (i.e. suicide bombers, leaders who actually commit atrocities on their people, anarchists, whatever. And btw, I'm by no means comparing the OP to these sorts, I'm just trying to point out that the INFJ's/ 'F's' abhor violence thing is kind of a dumb argument).

In any event - OP, if you're really driven to do this, you already have a pretty key ingredient in making it happen and finding it purposeful: the very fact that you're driven and passionate about it. I wouldn't worry about whether or not it fits what the descriptions say you're 'supposed' to be doing - in the end, it's what you think you want out of life and what will give you purpose/meaning/fulfillment. Is it a traditional INFJ career/role? Probably not. I myself wouldn't have the value set or ability/desire to do it . But that doesn't mean it's beyond something an INFJ could do. If you're going into it with open eyes, aware of the realities as well as difficulties given your personality and such, then you're off to a decent start. You may learn, if you do it, that it in fact is not what you thought and that you really can't stomach it; or, maybe it'll be your calling. Anyway... research, soul-search, and good luck!

PS - and by the way, I'm a Business Analyst/systems tester (although I have never really nailed down career, but this is how I'm making a living right now), one of my INFJ friends is an electrical engineer, another one does environmental ed at a zoo, and another is a Systems Analyst/has done misc jobs his entire life. None of us are counselors, in other words.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ