User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

I have taken the MB test three times in 5 years and every time it has said INFJ/P so no foul. That's what I hate about the whole "idealist" thing. It makes our type seem weak and afraid of conflict. I was the captain of my High School football team and loved nothing more than hitting the other team as hard as I could. I wanted them to feel pain, especially when they hurt one of my teammates. It made me feel alive and, i hate to say, but extremely masculine. Then I went to college, got very interested and music and became a Jazz Drummer. This life was not satisfying to me. It was competitive, but not in a physical way which drove me crazy. I couldn't sit in a room and practice all day long while my body became pudgy and sedentary. I long for physical strength and confidence, and this is what draws me towards the military, in addition to my empathy for people who get walked on by violent controlling assholes. Do ANY other INFJ feel this way? I am a very compassionate and passionate guy, but if you mess with the people I love, I will f--- you up no questions asked. Where does this fit into all of this psychological INF-whatever stuff??

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    EXPP

Almight Kiersey stated that INFJs deplore violence.

Socionics states that INFjs often cannot stand violence, conflict and graphic depiction of injuries.

If many of our great non-violent humanitarians have been INFJs (Gandhi, King, Mother Theresa)... this provides additional proof of this fact.

So... why would an INFJ become a warrior? That would be like an ESTJ becoming a hippie.
    a cat is fine too

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by chachamaru View Post
    Almight Kiersey stated that INFJs deplore violence.

Socionics states that INFjs often cannot stand violence, conflict and graphic depiction of injuries.

If many of our great non-violent humanitarians have been INFJs (Gandhi, King, Mother Theresa)... this provides additional proof of this fact.

So... why would an INFJ become a warrior? That would be like an ESTJ becoming a hippie.
    "The Way of the Warrior has been misunderstood. It is not a means to kill and destroy others. Those who seek to compete and better one another are making a terrible mistake. To smash, injure, or destroy is the worst thing a human being can do. The real Way of a Warrior is to prevent such slaughter - it is the Art of Peace, the power of love."
    -Morihei Ueshiba

Being a warrior doesn't mean one loves violence.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    EXPP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    The real Way of a Warrior is to prevent such slaughter - it is the Art of Peace, the power of love."
    -Morihei Ueshiba
    How does one be a soldier and hate violence? Wouldn't that person have to be a non-combatant?
    a cat is fine too

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by chachamaru View Post
    How does one be a soldier and hate violence?
    Simple. A soldier witnesses first-hand the horrors of war and violence. However, unlike a pacifist, he still believes that violence is justified in certain circumstances.

Wouldn't that person have to be a non-combatant?
    No he wouldn't. In almost every warrior tradition, the emphasis is on violence only when violence is truely needed. This is because there's a clear realization the war and violence are horrible things and should only be a last resort. As Robert E. Lee famously said: "It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it."

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Virulence View Post
    That said - I've been down the path of the military before. I bought into the notion of being a patriot, serving my country, and I was even pretty okay with the idea of sacrificing myself if it meant protecting the ideas of "freedom" and "liberty." When it really came time to sell myself into it or walk away, I had to walk away. Being regarded as just a nine-digit number and a bar code set off alarm bells, and I felt like I had to sell myself and be something different in order to walk down that path. I couldn't let myself be part of something so cold. That aspect of it was terrible, but meeting different people - dozens of amazing people with amazing stories that I was able to interact with and become friends with was an incredible experience, and it really opened my eyes and killed the sense of cynicism I had had towards people up to that point. If you can look past the colossal, cold machine and focus on the interactions with people around you, I think an INFJ (or anyone!) could do really well in that environment.
    this is EXACTLY my story! wow! I was MM3 in the USN. I don't talk much about it, but the experience saved my life in more ways than one.

MBTI
    INFJ

Doesn't some one have to stand up to defend the innocent? Sometimes the only way to do this is STOP them dead in their tracks. That is my goal. Not to torture or kill or maim, but to protect my family and the freedoms that we enjoy in our country. People who love violence intentionally kill the innocent to feed their lust for blood, and certainly there are many cases of US soldiers doing just that. But that is not who I am.

Yes, protecting the innocent is a good thing. I don't think you need to worry about that. Embracing violence as a way life however is far from idealism. There's some balance to be found between pacifism and bloodlust. An idealist, if anyone, will try finding it.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    EXPP

If someone abhors something, will they use it?

If the INFJ abhors violence, will the INFJ use it?

The INFJ abhors violence, therefore they will not use it.

A soldier is not a job that an INFJ will embrace. This often includes the use of violence, or at least the training of learning to use violence. This would upset INFJ sensibilities.
    a cat is fine too

I think a good majority of INFJs abhor violence, but I don't think all of them contextualize it to the point of not making room for it. That's the same as condoning even worse forms of violence.

You also referenced Socionics INFjs - but they are actually "Fi-Ne". More along the lines of INFP - Except Socionics was created in Soviet Russia, during the 70s. Of course, they're going to observe a lot of meek people there, and then color the type that way. At one point in time, people were getting toilet paper "rations" in Russia. Most of these people probably lived in fear of not being able to wipe their butts. They're not going to speak up about anything. This is my [scholarly] opinion. Basically it wasn't a good environment to study typological theories.