• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFPs (Or NFs) and 'Shutdown Mode'?

HotpinkHeatwave

MBTI Type
ENFP
I do not show strong emotions openly. I have a hard time expressing some emotions in general (anger, sadness).

But, when the time does come for me to be very upset, or very sad, I go into 'Shutdown Mode'.

I have been told this twice, both by thinkers. (Surprisingly?)

Here is an example,

I was with a bunch of friends. One of them being a very, very close friend of mine. Something happened that really upset this close friend, and therefore, I was really upset too. I had been having a very bad weekend prior to that, so I was already feeling a little emotional.. And suddenly, I just broke down and started bawling. Remember, this is RARE. My friend's pain was the tipping point.

So, I cried for about and hour, in which multiple people (three, including my ENTJ boyfriend) tried talking to me. I refused to talk back. Not because I didn't want to, but because I just couldn't. I also absolutely hated the fact that I was crying where I could be found.

Basically, I bowed my head to hide my face, and sobbed. Sounds lame, but that's what happened.

The next day, my boyfriend described it as 'Ultimate Lockdown Mode'. I agreed. That is exactly what it was.

Is this common for ENFPs? Or NFs in general? I'm assuming it has very much to do with Fi. True?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
:sad:

i know what you mean with that not being able to talk about certain stuff, but it not being because not wanting to. it sucks big time if you would want to talk about something, but just cant get the words out for no reason.

i hope your bf at least tried to hug you

HotpinkHeatwave

MBTI Type
ENFP
Ha, he certainly did, but being an ENTJ, I don't think he really knew what to do. I really feel bad when I get emotional around strong thinkers. They tend to get confused.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
you shouldnt feel bad because other people cant handle certain things. its their problem if they get confused when you get emotional

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
perhaps you're really an INFP. the situation you've just described sounds VERY introverted. usually when I shut down it's more deliberate. I'm opposed to guilt tripping people directly, but if you do it without saying anything, then they just guilt trip themselves. it's also a good way to get attention (ironically, it's better to be loud if you don't want attention and quiet if you do if you're an ENFP)

HotpinkHeatwave

MBTI Type
ENFP
perhaps you're really an INFP. the situation you've just described sounds VERY introverted. usually when I shut down it's more deliberate. I'm opposed to guilt tripping people directly, but if you do it without saying anything, then they just guilt trip themselves. it's also a good way to get attention (ironically, it's better to be loud if you don't want attention and quiet if you do if you're an ENFP)

I have wondered this from time to time. It's possible! I am pretty extroverted, I think, however.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
In don't have a lot of experience dealing with ENFPs on a personal level.. Reactively they are unpredictable.
My Oldest friend in real life in an ENFP.. he does not shutdown. I would say he is relentless and he will shut down when he dies.. and even then, I am not so sure.

Another person went a 6 day tirade against me because I slept through a time I said I would meet her. Then after I told her to fuck off 300 times in those 6 days after explaining and saying sorry 100 times... she shutdown.
But not before she presented me some very strange version of events of what had just happened , and despite the the mountain of evidence in my In Box and stuff.. she just denied the whole thing ever happened.. Astounding.

More recently an ENFP became a bit friendly with me. Approached me , was very nice , and wanted my help or advice. Then over night just stopped talking to me. Gave me a reasonable reason. But something still seemed a bit not right.. anyway.. she shutdown.. at least on me.

SO 3 ENFPs and 3 different results. I would say shutdown is not a common ENFP trait.. but I think anyone and everyone has a shutdown point.

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Sounds like a good ole' fashioned ENFP - Fi shut down to me.

Fi is an introverted function. ENFP's try to protect their Fi and don't express it very readily. I find that when I feel an emotional charge about anything, I tend to not express it all. And, if I am so upset that I can't help but express it (e.g., involuntary crying) I'm in agony. I don't want anyone to approach me until I can get my emotions under control again.

HotpinkHeatwave

MBTI Type
ENFP
Sounds like a good ole' fashioned ENFP - Fi shut down to me.

Fi is an introverted function. ENFP's try to protect their Fi and don't express it very readily. I find that when I feel an emotional charge about anything, I tend to not express it all. And, if I am so upset that I can't help but express it (e.g., involuntary crying) I'm in agony. I don't want anyone to approach me until I can get my emotions under control again.

Yes! This is exactly how I feel as well, you've described it perfectly.

KDude

I can almost identify with it.. It really depends on the emotion though. I don't cave in on anger or joy a lot, but I've always had a problem crying in front of people (but so do many others). Even as a kid, I'd go somewhere else and didn't really want to be consoled. I remember times when someone wanted to track me down it would make feel worse and I'd put my head down and not say anything. "Shutdown mode". It could last for awhile too. That said, I have no problems hiding certain types of tears. Good tears, especially. It's more when I'm inspired about something, and I'm not ashamed of that. Sometimes it's funny: I shed a tear last night actually looking at Joan Jett videos of all things. "Bad Reputation". There was a youtube comment I liked.

I'm 15 years old and I've been listening to Joan Jett for as long as I can remember. 31 years ago, this woman wrote a song about me, 16 years before I was even born. Joan Jett understands me more than all of my friends [Which isn't that many] and my parents. Her music has helped me realize who I am. After watching The Runaways, I completely doubted my sexuality. It doesn't matter whether I'm gay, straight, or even bisexual because I am who I am and I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

I thought the kid was badass.

Anyways, as for myself (in terms of Fi), I think I strike some balance between pride and wanting to work out issues alone, and then not really hiding any beliefs or sentiments or things that anger me. Maybe I'm like a lot of people. :shrug:

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I'm opposed to guilt tripping people directly, but if you do it without saying anything, then they just guilt trip themselves.

I HATE when people do this. If you have to be an ass to some extent, at least do it openly- and try not to be completely disrespectful while you're at it. The rest of the world does not feel like reading an angry and shut-down persons mind. I don't, at least.