• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFP Strengths?: What Are The Best Things about Being an ENFP

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
After tooling around in the ENFP Common Issues thread (which really helped me understand my own weak areas), it occurred to me that it might be equally insightful to consider ENFPs’ strengths and how to best leverage those strengths. So I tried to come up with a list of some of the strong points in the ENFP personality. Please feel free to comment, make additions, and give constructive criticism (whether you’re an ENFP or not). Oh, and I think it would be very interesting if other ENFPs posted their own lists.

Since I will be referring to the ENFP hierarchy of cognitive functions, let’s first recap ENFP function dominance. You can click on each function to see a detailed description of how that mental function operates. This will be important in understanding ENFPs’ strengths.

ENFP – Ne > Fi > Te > Si

My Favorite ENFP Strengths (In No Particular Order)

1. Genuine Interest in People. Like all Feelers, ENFPs are people people. But when you combine Fi (which values authenticity) and Ne (which loves to take in new information), you have a person who is curious to understand those around them, especially what makes someone tick (i.e., their true essence). I once read on this forum that ENFPs were akin to social scientists in that they loved to watch people and understand them both on the individual level as well as at the species level. ß And, I think this is very true of ENFPs. An ENFP’s secret weapon is their genuine fascination with all things people.
  2. Great People Skills. ENFPs seem to have a sixth sense about what makes people tick; and they can pick up on the subtle nuance of the social game play going on around them. This is due, in part, to their acute awareness of their outside environment (Ne) which is constantly scanning for new information combined with their desire for positive interpersonal relations (like all Fs). The result is a person who is keenly aware of the motivations and perceptions of others. When you combine this with an ENFP’s good communication skills and warm and affirming nature, it’s easy to understand why they tend to connect with people quickly and easily, and why they are generally well-liked.
  3. Unafraid to Be Different. Here again, we see where the combination of Ne and Fi is foundational to the ENFP experience. Ne looks at the world from the 20,000 foot view. This desire to get the big picture perspective is most concerned with understanding the big picture rather than being bound by minutiae like the social expectations of others. ENFPs are almost always aware of these expectations; they just don’t feel bound by them. Couple this with their Fi that seeks internal (instead of external) validation, and you’ve got a person who isn’t afraid to push the social envelope. This can come across as zany charm, boat rocking, or social cluelessness. But this ability to operate outside of societal norms can also be a tremendous advantage. If an ENFP feels that they are behaving in a manner that is consistent with their Fi values and is an authentic expression of their selves, then they are unafraid to act as their conscience dictates.
  4. Fiercely Independent. ENFPs don’t want to be in control, but they don’t want to be controlled either. Fi is all about authenticity and truthiness. Sometimes outside forces (like a boss’ direction, a task’s requirements, or a social group’s expectations) impinge upon Fi’s desire to express itself authentically and truthfully. When this happens, it’s easy for the ENFP to become hostile and obstructive to the perceived threat to their Fi. It also means that ENFPs have an amazing ability to live and think unfettered by outside forces.
  5. Ability to See Patterns & Connections. An ENFP’s dominant function is Ne. Extraverted Intuition looks outside oneself and tries to put all the things it sees into a big picture understanding of the world. Everything has meaning. And, everything is connected to everything else. Ne can feel like your constantly trying to put together a huge jigsaw puzzle. This lends itself to an ENFP’s astounding ability to see patterns and connections that others do not see… almost to the point of being painful. Take, for example, my personal experience of learning about MBTI theory. Whether I want to or not, I am constantly seeing how people’s behavior fits their personality type per the theory. And I regularly ruminate on the patterns in behavior I see… to the point that I can’t shut it off. While sometimes this is overwhelming, it also means that I do see patterns and connections in human behavior that allow me to navigate my relationships with aplomb. So while Ne can be overwhelming, it can also lead to bursts of creative thinking and powerful insights.
  6. Comfortable in New & Fluid Situations. ENFPs are Perceivers which means they have Pe-Ji or an extroverted perceiving function (Ne) and an introverted judging function (Fi). This means they tend to be drawn more toward observing and experiencing rather than deciding and taking action. (For a great article about Pe-Ji versus Pi-Je click here.) I once explained to an INFJ, what being a P was like in this way: “As an ENFP, I like to just sit back and soak it all in. Of course, I can and do make decisions. I do this everyday. But my default behavior is to observe and keep my options open.” Thus ENFPs tend to be very flexible, spontaneous, and open to possibilities. Of course there are downsides to being so loosey-goosey, but ENFPs can leverage their ability to change on a dime, succeed without a plan, and think on their feet, to great advantage.
  7. Getting Things Done. ENFPs are great thinkers with their heads oftentimes stuck in the Ne clouds. But they can also be great doers if they are able to tap into their Te. Since Extraverted Thinking is 3rd in the ENFP hierarchy of functions, it can take years of practice for ENFPs to be able to use this function in a nuanced and mature way. But an ENFP with mature Te is all about executing things in a logical and orderly manner. Take for example, how I’ve tried to organize this post into logical bullet points. This is very Te of me. And being able to work out the logical steps backward from an identified goal is also very Te.
  8. Seeing All the Possibilities. To me at least, this is one of those aspects of being an ENFP that is smack-you-in-the-face obvious. In fact, observing this trait is one of the first ways I type someone as an ENxP. This ability to see every permutation of every situation is the hallmark of dominant Extraverted Intuition. There is never just one answer for an ENFP. While it is easy to get lost in all the possibilities when your an ENFP, it also means you can see very creative solutions to any given problem.
  9. Intellectual Breadth. ENFPs are usually interested in all sorts of subjects and bring a wide variety of skills to the table in whatever project they are involved in. This breadth of knowledge is due to an ENFP’s dominant Extraverted Intuition which loves to learn new things. And because ENFP are Perceivers that like to observe and experience things, they tend to be very open to new avenues of intellectual exploration. The blend of these two traits means that ENFPs know a little about a wide variety of subjects. While sometimes they sacrifice depth of knowledge in the name of taking in new information, breadth of knowledge can be a great strength. ENFPs have a wide array of interests and experience that they can draw upon. This gives them flexibility in careers and allows them to connect with people from all walks of life.
  10. Able to Inspire Other. Inspiring others is a hallmark ENFP characteristic that is the culmination of several other ENFP traits. ENFPs really care about people and give high-priority to fostering positive personal relationships. They also tend to place great value on helping others and making their world a better place. They have a natural ability to read people. And, they are flexible enough to tailor their approach based on the needs of others. Finally, ENFPs have an almost spooky ability to see the potential in other people. All these traits combine into an uncanny ability to motivate and inspire others to do their best.

So what do you think are the best things about being an ENFP?

Last edited:

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
  1. Ability to See Patterns & Connections.
  2. Seeing All the Possibilities

these points are what i love most about myself. i highly value my outlook in life.
i'm an eternal optimist, which may at time blinds me. but i also love that blinding
quality too you know, because the world is just this amazing place full of things
i don't even know exist. and i just can't wait to uncover all these undiscovered
things, i'm always ready to have my perspective shaken, to be pulled out of line
and to be shown things through new and different lenses.

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
these points are what i love most about myself. i highly value my outlook in life.
i'm an eternal optimist, which may at time blinds me. but i also love that blinding
quality too you know, because the world is just this amazing place full of things
i don't even know exist. and i just can't wait to uncover all these undiscovered
things, i'm always ready to have my perspective shaken, to be pulled out of line
and to be shown things through new and different lenses.

mmhmm, I loved this. That is exactly what it feels like to be an ENFP. And, beautifully and inspiringly said. Thanks for sharing.

blomiki

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
-
Grr, why has no-one else commented on this post? Don't they love us?

EW, maybe your list is just so good that nobody has anything to add. I identify with each and every one of the 10 strengths you posted and I'm not as well-versed in the Ne Fi Te stuff as you are so I can't engage on the theory.

Here's one though: We hop from obsession to obsession and for a little while, if you want to, you can really encourage us to do massive things within that topic. We don't start jogging; we decide we have one month to train for a marathon... and we convince all our friends to join us. We don't read up on herbs, we make a whole damn garden and by the third try, some plants survive beautifully and we intuitively understand other people's gardens afterwards.

In short, we can pour incredible amounts of obsessive energy into getting the hang of something. Channelled right, we also become the ultimate marketers for whatever it is. Often before we are even sure we're going to get good at it.

And then afterwards we will forever imagine that we can talk to others who make one of these things their "life's work"... and often they will indeed enjoy the attention and we will have made a new friend :)

ilovelurking

MBTI Type
INFJ
maybe your list is just so good that nobody has anything to add.

Exactly! ;)

Now that this thread is back alive...: My ENFP has an amaaaazing heart. I'm pretty sure the remaining ENFPs are the same, too.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
curiosity
>> in general. curiosity has lead me to places both fascinating and dangerous. it makes me push boundaries and question rules. i can't say i've ever found a topic i don't genuinely enjoy learning about. it helps me keep an open perspective on my environment and not just focus on myself. it gives me the drive to help others break down their own barriers, with a little healing help from Fi. curiosity makes the world fun.

adaptivity
>> even beyond being comfortable in new situations, which EW detailed very nicely, we can tailor ourselves to fit new situations without ever losing our sense of selves. Ne shows a thousand possibilities of who i can be; it's pleasing to explore those. i can go from tailored business formal to hanging out barefoot in the backyard to performing a piece of music at a recital hall to yelling at a rock concert with fluid ease. all of them are me.

fire
>> you see my user title, firesoul. i mean it. i feel like there's something burning within me. it's a glowing fire of self nestled somewhere in the dazzling kaleidoscope air of Ne and the deep embracing oceans of Fi. it can be a downside - or our greatest upside. it's a driving sense that i have purpose, that i have meaning. that i have endless depths of power and love. but sometimes i am lazy, my energy undirected: the light flickers. sometimes i get lost in Fi-Si looping: the light is dimmed. sometimes i am reticent and stubborn: i keep the warmth to myself. sometimes i smolder: the fire burns too hot, too fast. sometimes i lash out and burn others: for fear of it going out, i do not control it as i should. but it has been confronted with loss, fear, death, pain. it nevertheless abides. and it's not just about myself, it sees the fire in others and wants it to burn brightly, too. i want people who are passionate, whose eyes spark, who might not always be perfectly happy but who are hopeful and united and full of love. i want a brilliant world of light and color and joy and hope. i want to set the world alight.

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Not an ENFP here, but based on my experience, what I love the "most" about them is their eagerness to explore a 'bigger' world with everyone in their arm's length. Many people are afraid of living a life 'out of a box', but they can be highly-enthusiastic of their ideals and convince others to "believe" in them.

That's quite powerful and the strongest quality which I admire, and adore from them.

Kitsune413

MBTI Type
enfp
ENFP's are able to comfortably ignore facts, details and logic. It isn't that we don't know or pay attention to them. We can just proceed without caring.

With that fact and a unique set of tools we are some of the best problem solvers in the world.

I feel like I've spent most of my life asleep. But when I'm 'on' I'll tear through anything in my way.

The mediation, the personal skills all hide the fact that we're naturally built revolutionaries. We can be crusaders of social change and then those networking skills. Those people skills are turned into getting a support network.

We can be powerful beyond measure.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
yes goddammit! i need this thread to boost my ego! will read later, love you [MENTION=8904]Esoteric Wench[/MENTION] mwuah!

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I wanna be an ENFP.

Thinkist

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ENFP's are able to comfortably ignore facts, details and logic. It isn't that we don't know or pay attention to them. We can just proceed without caring.

That'll drive any S or T type INSANE (and especially the super-realist STPs)!

I wanna be an ENFP.

:sick:

I've heard enough of "ENFP Wannabe." Can't you just be glad you have Ne and move on?

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
:sick:
I've heard enough of "ENFP Wannabe." Can't you just be glad you have Ne and move on?

[MENTION=14864]Thinkist[/MENTION], me thinkest you're a little down on ENFPs based on this and another thread. Has an ENFP rubbed you the wrong way lately?

Thinkist

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, but I don't like idolizing any one type. It's a covert form of typism.

...or maybe the whole "ENFP wannabe" is just a rumor...?

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
No, but I don't like idolizing any one type. It's a covert form of typism.

...or maybe the whole "ENFP wannabe" is just a rumor...?

Awwww. You're taking this thread too literally. A little bit of good-hearted type stereotyping - in moderation - never hurt anybody. And this goes for all types. For example, I'm in awe of ISTPs' abilities to be so precise and accurate in their speech and writing. (My fiance is an ISTP so I know the machinations of this type quite well.) That doesn't make me literally want to be an ISTP. But it sure does help me to remember to appreciate an ISTP's unique gifts.

G

garbage

1. Tying random shit into a bunch of other shit without even thinking about it
2. empathy
3. A broad-base knowledge, desire to motivate, and knowledge of the inner workings of people helps facilitate interdisciplinary teaming, which is the neatest and most fulfilling kind of teaming.

:solidarity:

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Now I'm curious... At which areas do you think INFPs generally trump you ENFPs? Sounds like you've got 'em all down pat... :thinking:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
infps i find are way more patient. they also put a lot more thought into what they say and have cooler tempers.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Things that I appreciate the most about being ENFP is empathy, good social skills, being able to get along with most of the people I meet, being able to handle a lot of things at the same time on mental level, enthusiasm, able to learn new things pretty fast.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
agreed with that point above about getting along with most people. in my line of work it's probably my greatest strength...that and...for some reason being able to make most people relax and laugh (as a photographer that's pretty important)

also the never ending ideas and enthusiasm about them! :D