• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] How to spot an ENFP a mile off

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
for ENFP: look for the energetic, happy-go-lucky person who has INFJs and INTJs drooling over them

for INFP: look for the person sitting alone, looking sad, without any friends or suitors LOL

You just had to go and make me feel even more depressed and weird than I do almost all the time, didn't you? No, I'm sorry. I was trying to joke a little. That's not your fault. It's just that you totally nailed what it's like. The truth hurts :cry:

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
These sorts of comments are convincing me that I can rule out ENFP as an option for myself. Although it fits my preferences quite well, I don't think my Ne/Fi works in that way at all. I'm certainly not attention-seeking. I only really seek meaningful connection, and don't care to be around people otherwise so much.

Well I'm joking, to some extent. I wouldn't say ENFP's are necessarily show-offs, but they usually need/want a good amount of attention. They're usually entertaining and charismatic enough not to have to beg for it, though. While I do perform every now and then [and rather enjoy it], I definitely crave meaningful connection. Even when I'm performing it tends to be out of a desire for mass-connection.

You would probably know if you're an ENFP though, because people tend to treat you like one [without knowing the term ENFP, everyone at work describes me in VERY ENFP terms]. I often get this slightly patronizing form of adoration, like I'm a precocious child.

I noticed you're a 4. If you're really sure you're a 4, you're probably introverted. And regarding your cognitive functions score, a lot of intellectual, 4ish INFPs tend to test high on Ti, even though they don't really use Ti. I seem to recall one of the more 4ish INFP's used to say she mistyped as an INTP starting off, because INFP's are fundamentally rational types, who lead with an introverted judging function. [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION], maybe? Not sure if she still frequents these parts, but I feel like it was her.

If she doesn't show up in the thread, you could always creep her posts and see if there's anything useful about INFPs there.

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well I'm joking, to some extent. I wouldn't say ENFP's are necessarily show-offs, but they usually need/want a good amount of attention. They're usually entertaining and charismatic enough not to have to beg for it, though. While I do perform every now and then [and rather enjoy it], I definitely crave meaningful connection. Even when I'm performing it tends to be out of a desire for mass-connection.

You would probably know if you're an ENFP though, because people tend to treat you like one [without knowing the term ENFP, everyone at work describes me in VERY ENFP terms]. I often get this slightly patronizing form of adoration, like I'm a precocious child.

I noticed you're a 4. If you're really sure you're a 4, you're probably introverted. And regarding your cognitive functions score, a lot of intellectual, 4ish INFPs tend to test high on Ti, even though they don't really use Ti. I seem to recall one of the more 4ish INFP's used to say she mistyped as an INTP starting off, because INFP's are fundamentally rational types, who lead with an introverted judging function. [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION], maybe? Not sure if she still frequents these parts, but I feel like it was her.

If she doesn't show up in the thread, you could always creep her posts and see if there's anything useful about INFPs there.

If that's my case, I believe then that many people with similar Ti/Fi/Ne/Ni/Si preferences are actually mistyped INFPs. I have met some with similar preferences.

What is the essence of INFP then...? If they're so largely analytical, what really differentiates them from INTPs? One understanding of it that I have developed is that INTPs are more "by the book," as when they compare systems, everything must line up as expected, but INFPs moreso come to form their own "subjective understandings" of a system. It's still all quite vague in my mind.

Several users have suggested that I'm Ne dom. Ne is probably the most appealing function to me, as I enjoy change, possibilities, progressive-thinking, etc. I also enjoy being the center of (positive) attention, and can lead quite well if I believe it to be the correct choice to suit the objective at the time. (Te, lead by Ne?) I do think that inferior Fe fits me quite well, as it's quite a terrifying function, but if INTPs are supposed to favor Fe over Fi, that is certainly not my case. Fi > Fe all day. I likely think that 4 is my center. But I could just as well be 5w4, 4w3, or even 3w4. Like I said, performance is actually enjoyable for me. While I do think I'm introverted in that a lot of interaction with people will ware me out and I tend to avoid going to people I don't know too well all the time, I definitely could pass as an ambivert - ENxPs being the "introverted extroverts."

Really, I could be any of the four types. First type I ever tested as was INFP. I took the test with an extremely "idealistic mindset," though I don't think my drive is necessarily towards people. I can't say I ever "make decisions based on the feelings of others." So if I could get a more concrete impression of what it means to use Fi, that would probably help a lot.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
These sorts of comments are convincing me that I can rule out ENFP as an option for myself. Although it fits my preferences quite well,

Well, good luck with that contradiction.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Guy ENFP's are often a little different to girl ones... or are they?? They seem to have a chilled-ness about them whilst being quite sexually free and non committal (ofc in general, exceptions always to the rule), I think Andy in Weeds is a pretty good example of a guy ENFP.... lemmi find a vid. Ok found one but on seconds thoughts he could be ENTP... however this to me seems pretty Ne lead for a guy, maybe Ne Fi would be softer...idk...

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If that's my case, I believe then that many people with similar Ti/Fi/Ne/Ni/Si preferences are actually mistyped INFPs. I have met some with similar preferences.

What is the essence of INFP then...? If they're so largely analytical, what really differentiates them from INTPs? One understanding of it that I have developed is that INTPs are more "by the book," as when they compare systems, everything must line up as expected, but INFPs moreso come to form their own "subjective understandings" of a system. It's still all quite vague in my mind.

Several users have suggested that I'm Ne dom. Ne is probably the most appealing function to me, as I enjoy change, possibilities, progressive-thinking, etc. I also enjoy being the center of (positive) attention, and can lead quite well if I believe it to be the correct choice to suit the objective at the time. (Te, lead by Ne?) I do think that inferior Fe fits me quite well, as it's quite a terrifying function, but if INTPs are supposed to favor Fe over Fi, that is certainly not my case. Fi > Fe all day. I likely think that 4 is my center. But I could just as well be 5w4, 4w3, or even 3w4. Like I said, performance is actually enjoyable for me. While I do think I'm introverted in that a lot of interaction with people will ware me out and I tend to avoid going to people I don't know too well all the time, I definitely could pass as an ambivert - ENxPs being the "introverted extroverts."

Really, I could be any of the four types. First type I ever tested as was INFP. I took the test with an extremely "idealistic mindset," though I don't think my drive is necessarily towards people. I can't say I ever "make decisions based on the feelings of others." So if I could get a more concrete impression of what it means to use Fi, that would probably help a lot.

INTP vs INFP can come down to the human element. The INTP basically tries to remove it, to develop a system outside or not in relation to the human experience. It is a search for what is fundamentally logical or how things work regardless of the human experience.
The INFP is developing a system within that experience or to serve the purpose of ordering it. Hence value vs impersonal logic, and the INFP using emotions as helpful signals and INTPs being more apt to find them distracting noise.

A note - "personal" doesnt mean "individual", but it means something closer to:
-being rational, self-conscious (aware of one's own human state as the lens for reality)
- having the qualities of a person, rather than a thing or abstraction (INFP context is the former, INTP the latter).

All Feeling types are described as being more "personal" and having "personal values" (which are wrongly equated with only Fi, when all people have some individual values and Fi is not just about the individual at all). Ordering reality in terms of value (ie significant, important, meaningful, etc, in relation to the human experience) is a Feeling type characteristic.

If Fi doesnt strongly resonate and you find Fe unappealing and you do not find your mindset dominated by the above form of reasoning and analyzing (to determine value), then why not consider NTP.
The understanding of the inferior functions is so bad, that I am not going to touch the silly idea that INTPs "use Fe" as if that makes them a "Fe type", except to say that the inferior is experienced within a person's psychology as oppositional, antagonistic and rudimentary.

As noted, this is why we can find a different function in the same orientation as our ego more appealing than our inferior (ie. an INFP finding Ti more relatable and familiar than Te).

As for enneagram, I frankly do not think NTs are 4s, save a very rare female INTJ 4w5 who may have weak auxiliary Te and who may even be a mistyped 5w4 or an INFJ that is sort of on the border of these categories. NT 5w4s can seem NFish in ways though, and 5s may actually mistake themselves for 4s more than vice versa because 5s can sometimes be described in excessively dry terms.

I DO think ENFPs can be 4s, although some still think most are mistyped 3s, 6s or 7s. I think having "incompatible" MBTI and Enneagram types is often a clue that something is off in the typing...most people are not that "special", and some combos would almost require a split personality.

Lastly, you vibe more as INTP so far (having only read a few posts), for whatever that is worth.

Last edited:

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INTP vs INFP can come down to the human element. The INTP basically tries to remove it, to develop a system outside or not in relation to the human experience. It is a search for what is fundamentally logical or how things work regardless of the human experience.
The INFP is developing a system within that experience or to serve the purpose of ordering it. Hence value vs impersonal logic, and the INFP using emotions as helpful signals and INTPs being more apt to find them distracting noise.

A note - "personal" doesnt mean "individual", but it means something closer to:
-being rational, self-conscious (aware of one's own human state as the lens for reality)
- having the qualities of a person, rather than a thing or abstraction (INFP context is the former, INTP the latter).

All Feeling types are described as being more "personal" and having "personal values" (which are wrongly equated with only Fi, when all people have some individual values and Fi is not just about the individual at all). Ordering reality in terms of value (ie significant, important, meaningful, etc, in relation to the human experience) is a Feeling type characteristic.

If Fi doesnt strongly resonate and you find Fe unappealing and you do not find your mindset dominated by the above form of reasoning and analyzing (to determine value), then why not consider NTP.
The understanding of the inferior functions is so bad, that I am not going to touch the silly idea that INTPs "use Fe" as if that makes them a "Fe type", except to say that the inferior is experienced within a person's psychology as oppositional, antagonistic and rudimentary.

As noted, this is why we can find a different function in the same orientation as our ego more appealing than our inferior (ie. an INFP finding Ti more relatable and familiar than Te).

As for enneagram, I frankly do not think NTs are 4s, save a very rare female INTJ 4w5 who may have weak auxiliary Te and who may even be a mistyped 5w4 or an INFJ that is sort of on the border of these categories. NT 5w4s can seem NFish in ways though, and 5s may actually mistake themselves for 4s more than vice versa because 5s can sometimes be described in excessively dry terms.

I DO think ENFPs can be 4s, although some still think most are mistyped 3s, 6s or 7s. I think having "incompatible" MBTI and Enneagram types is often a clue that something is off in the typing...most people are not that "special", and some combos would almost require a split personality.

Lastly, you vibe more as INTP so far (having only read a few posts), for whatever that is worth.

Very helpful and insightful breakdown, Sir, I appreciate it.
I'm on my phone so I won't be able to reply as in-depth as I'd like at the moment. But I do think that that's the problem - I associate very closely with both Ti and Fi. My nature won't allow me to 100% confirm my type as being one or the other since I cannot see a consistency in the preferences lining up with the model. My test results could even be inaccurate(most likely due to my choosing answers that are psychologically impacted to obtain certain results)

I can't say that I don't think about how others perceive of me or my actions, and think about not only the dynamics of a working "system/object" - I also think about the social implications - but I do think that rationality/logic comes before another's issues. I take whatever concern they may have with each possible decision into account, but it just becomes another "part of the web," another factor, but not necessarily the main one which will cause decision. For instance, is my liklihood of considering another's desires in a decision increasing based on how much I like the person(therefore becoming a subjective factor) use of Fi? Is this a strong indicator of Fi being my dominant or secondary function, or could this just be a regular preference that any type would show in some form, to some degree? (Either through Fi or Fe, and in my case - developed a strong Fi due to lack of respect for Fe) Is there any reasonable way if analyzing case-by-case scenarios to scan for use of Fi/Ti, or should I just assume that I can qualify as either one at this point? Kind of joking, but at the same time not because I do think that anyone could perceive of me as xNxP of any variety and be fully satisfied/convinced. Ne, Ti, and Fi seem to be used so much, but possibly with Fi being more situational.

I really do wish I could just say "I'm this type." I like taking what I am in stride and doing the best I can with it, but I feel a bit stuck here. Maybe it's best I go back to just "calling myself" INTP, and convince myself that that is correct until I see any major changes in my functional preferences. Or is that too unhealthy because I may end up feeling that I'm lying to myself about my identity? This seems like e4 problems for sure.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hear they always chase shiny things. Like, always with the shiny. You could probably just bring some glitter and use it as a test like garlic and vampires.

Olm the Water King

across the universe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I hear they always chase shiny things. Like, always with the shiny. You could probably just bring some glitter and use it as a test like garlic and vampires.

That's actually a myth and a stereotype. Vampires don't fear garlic. Stop spreading ignorant lies, please.

Hapyniss

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
I can definitely relate to that! I've always had the most trouble in identifying either as an Introvert or Extrovert before reading up on the MBTI and learning of my ENFP type. But seriously, I go through cycles of extroversion and introversion all the time.

We all do. Even introverts need out of the house from time to time. It's about what energizes you. When you're feeling meh or blah, do you want to naturally go out somewhere and socialize to feel better, or do you want to stay at home, read a book, game on the PC, etc?

Hapyniss

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
Of all the types to worry about spotting, the ENFP shouldn't be one of them. There's probably one desperately vying for your attention at this very moment. ;)

Or flirting relentlessly with everyone you find grotesque. I don't know why. Probably because it's fun on some level.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Wait until night and look for the iridescent sparkles they leave in their wake.

The glow can be seen from several miles distance but you have to be quick! Once they're aware you're coming, they will take refuge in an interdimensiional pocket along with other supernatural beings like wendigos and faeries until you've given up the chase.

I'm actually writing a guidebook on this very subject. It's called Of Might and Melancholy: A Guide to Properly Engaging Neo-Fantastical Persons.

It will be on sale at a bookstore near you Spring 2016.

Last edited:

TSDesigner

MBTI Type
INTJ
How do you NOT spot an ENFP a mile off?! They are the easiest to spot by far. They're smiling, flirtatious, sometimes excited, silly, happy, socially confident, and walk proudly. When I see an ENFP, everything I see screams ENFP.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How do you NOT spot an ENFP a mile off?! They are the easiest to spot by far. They're smiling, flirtatious, sometimes excited, silly, happy, socially confident, and walk proudly. When I see an ENFP, everything I see screams ENFP.

This is a characterization of limited emotional range that does real disservice to ENFPs, I think. And also attracts poseurs.

TSDesigner

MBTI Type
INTJ
This is a characterization of limited emotional range that does real disservice to ENFPs, I think. And also attracts poseurs.

Bullshit. I said the exact truth of my observations. Don't like the truth then too bad.
I'm a highly intelligent and perceptive person. I don't have a limited emotional range. My Fi is strong.
You have a limited ability to accept the truth.
And I don't even know why my description of ENFP's should offend you. I thought it was pretty harmless.
I think you're ridiculous.
Almost all the ENFP's I've ever seen have extreme behavior. That's why it's easy to spot them.
They aren't reservered. Their behavior jumps out at you like no one else.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Bullshit. I said the exact truth of my observations. Don't like the truth then too bad.
I'm a highly intelligent and perceptive person. I don't have a limited emotional range. My Fi is strong.
You have a limited ability to accept the truth.
And I don't even know why my description of ENFP's should offend you. I thought it was pretty harmless.
I think you're ridiculous.

Implying a whole type is happy all the time is a ridiculous contraction of their emotional range.

Starry

One of the things I appreciate about ceecee and highlander is they recognize and acknowledge the INTJs attraction to the ExFJ.

TSDesigner

MBTI Type
INTJ
Implying a whole type is happy all the time is a ridiculous contraction of their emotional range.

ENFP's are happy almost all the time as far as I've seen. They only get unhappy if something really bad happens. Then before too long they're happy again. I know I'm right and you're wrong. You can't tell me that I haven't seen what I've seen.

Also, the fact that I said that ENFP's are generally happy is not the same thing as saying that ENFP's have limited emotional range. You fucking put those words in my mouth. I never said that, nor did I think such a thing.
So don't accuse me of something that I didn't say. I hate it when people put words in my mouth just so they can tell me I'm terribly wrong about something. I'm sure that ENFP feel just as wide a range of emotions as other people, but most of the time they're happy.

Lastly, you're just gratuitously nitpicking my by telling me I can't generalize a type. MBTI is all about generalizing types. I'm just going to put you on my ignore list because you're not worth dealing with and you insult my intelligence.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ENFP's are happy almost all the time as far as I've seen. They only get unhappy if something really bad happens. Then before too long they're happy again. I know I'm right and you're wrong. You can't tell me that I haven't seen what I've seen.

Also, the fact that I said that ENFP's are generally happy is not the same thing as saying that ENFP's have limited emotional range. You fucking put those words in my mouth. I never said that, nor did I think such a thing.
So don't accuse me of something that I didn't say. I hate it when people put words in my mouth just so they can tell me I'm terribly wrong about something. I'm sure that ENFP feel just as wide a range of emotions as other people, but most of the time they're happy.

a. The burden of appearing happy all the time ... and then having others extrapolate from their behavior that they ARE happy all the time ... is something I truly pity people.
b. Also, the things you say may just as easily apply to ExFJs. Viewed from a superficial perspective.