• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] how to make friends at 40?

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
@PB Thank you. I put it on my to do list to try read your "to do" blog...but I'm not probably so organized...it may take a while. Maybe if I made a "to do" blog it would get done... :)

The closest town is about 8 miles, and has about 2,400 people. The closest real town (over 200,000 people) is about one hour (Tallahassee). I joined a movie club there and a free thought society there. The movie club is very "non-threatening". It's just like, "I'm going to [insert movie] at this time." If you want to watch the movie you go! Simple. I usually see movies by myself, eat by myself, etc. There is a singles group there too, but that seems more threatening.

Also, my hours on the farm increase. It's difficult to get away sometimes.

In addition, I'm not much one to start a group, especially here. I'm not much of a joiner either! Yet, it's the way it is. If I don't exercise that Fe and get out there, then I might as well step onto an ice flow with a small paddle and wave good bye. (Actually, I had a vision I was doing this.)

Yes, "the perfect" is the enemy of the good, but I did go to a few of the churches here. They put me in a small group with about four people. They were similar ages, perhaps. However, they were using a Sunday school booklet middle school age children. When I was about 14, I did the opposite. I started going to the adult Sunday school because they read and discussed books. Throughout high school, I went to the adult class.

Of course, I could try harder and go to more churches!

Yet, this is a long thing to explain. I understand what you are saying about churches. In a way, I've always been different, and have believed in more things. I like to talk about the opposite thing...to build a bridge between denominations or faith. Thus, if someone is against someone else, I want to reconcile the opposing views, if the other person is open, but if their mind is closed, then I just can't do anything about it.

For example, I'm pro-choice, and I have reasons for being so. (I'm sure to tell that story at some point.) Yet, I've also been in groups in which some members picket or sue abortion clinics to force their right to preach, hand out pamphlets, etc. I do not believe men should do this. I do believe, from hearing from the women, that it's not a simple thing emotionally to terminate a fetus. If you want to have an alternative in the same store-front or counseling, then that's fine. But I do not believe any man should molest a woman going there with pamphlets or speech.

I may go to the movie about Darwin another free thought society is showing Sunday, but like with most things, I'm poly-valent (not just ambivalent). First, this movie will make me cry. I want to give the group the benefit of the doubt, but one of the members dissected a South Park episode minute by minute in a critical way. I want open-mindedness and liberal views, generally, but I don't want to remove "in God we trust" from buildings or get too serious. I want the best of both worlds. I want to be tolerant and accept both evolution and the prospects of faith, and I want be the good agnostic-Buddhist-Christian-"own belief system" person that I tend to be. Yet, it seems that most of these groups are dogmatic. I guess I'm anti-dogmatic. I'll react to the film in sadness. It seems they will react with anger: "How dare society be this way! Suppressing these views! This is why we should do away with all this religious non-sense!" Who knows, maybe they are more tolerant that I imagine, but I read what they wrote and watched their youTube videos.

I'm not sure, if there were a completely non-dogmatic...totally perceiving...group how many would go to it. I don't even like RSVP and frequently show up late. Maybe I need to move to a community in a different part of the world where they are on event time rather than clock time.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I'm not sure, if there were a completely non-dogmatic...totally perceiving...group how many would go to it. I don't even like RSVP and frequently show up late. Maybe I need to move to a community in a different part of the world where they are on event time rather than clock time.

Try the Unitarian Universalists ;)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
You're a farmer. How about a food co-op? People are seriously into that. Here in west Michigan the food co-ops, farmers markets and sustainable agriculture are becoming VERY popular, not only for the farmers but the people who want to buy the food, learn to grow their own stuff, raise chickens and whatnot. Look into this. You're already part of it, you could meet all kinds of people with the same type of interests as you have. I don't believe age has anything to do with making friends, it's all about common interest.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you're INFP right? if that's the case, you would probably do better meeting friends in a more artistic interest group. have you considered taking a painting class or a writing work shop. not to stereotype, but farming just isn't the first hobby that comes to mind when I think of an INFP

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
my mom made friends when she was past college and working by being involved with the church, she also made friends with some of my friend's parents growing up. So if you have something to do you can meet people that way. I don't know if this advice has been given. But is their something you want to learn how to do? my mom wanted to get really good at needle pointing so she took a class, apparently there use to be only 5 stitches now there's volumes of books full of stitches all have a different effect. Btw my mom's an introvert, so none of this but i'm an introvert crap.

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
you're INFP right? if that's the case, you would probably do better meeting friends in a more artistic interest group. have you considered taking a painting class or a writing work shop. not to stereotype, but farming just isn't the first hobby that comes to mind when I think of an INFP

You're right. It's my job.

In one hobby, I paint. I want to get involved with pottery. Which type or "type forum" should I ask for advice about that? Someone gave me a kiln five months ago, but I've not even hooked it up yet.

my mom made friends when she was past college and working by being involved with the church,

Thank you. I love your bunny thread :wubbie:

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
ohhh, pottery is so fun!!! REAL pottery, not painting pots at pottery barn stuff... id suggest taking a class if you can, the instructor may be a bit rigid, but they will teach you the fundamentals and possibly some more advanced techniques, then you can do the rest at home! it really is wonderful! I love working with clay ^_^

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
ohhh, pottery is so fun!!! REAL pottery, not painting pots at pottery barn stuff... id suggest taking a class if you can, the instructor may be a bit rigid, but they will teach you the fundamentals and possibly some more advanced techniques, then you can do the rest at home! it really is wonderful! I love working with clay ^_^

Thanks. I don't see how I can. I've see classes at places that are too far or at impossible times. I'm not sure when I'd be able to take one. Yet, I want to make really abstract or my own designs that haven't been seen. I'm more interested in finding out about the actual firing. However, some people have volunteered to hook the kiln up if I make something. I wonder if anyone knows actual firing; that's what I want to watch. I also need kiln furniture, peeps and other stuff I don't have.

(As if I'm trying to derail my own thread :))

I think I'll go to the UU one hour away tomorrow, if I'm not too tired. A big adventure...