User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 50

  1. #31
    Senior Member Tiltyred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    4,383

    Default

    I dunno, I have to think about it.

  2. #32
    Senior Member mochajava's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I dunno, I have to think about it.
    Hahahahahaha! Rock on, Tilty

  3. #33
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Yeah, I experience this often.. Although I could see this being more INFJ.. Maybe another element of those "aha!" like moments, where the negative ramifications of something dawns on you later. Then you're like "UGH!!!"

  4. #34
    can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    3,680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mochajava View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nexttoimpossible View Post
    It can take years to process things, even an offhand remark. I don't like my delayed time-bomb effect much, but at least when I finally get mad, I have damn good reason for it and my argument is ironclad (should I ever get around to voicing it).
    So true. Silkroad, when you opened this thread by saying it took you a day or two to process and know your reaction to something, I was downright jealous. To this INFJ, that looks like lightning speed! For me, things take MONTHS. It took me a month to realize I was deeply hurt by something my sister did, and two more months to pinpoint it to the cause!

    So know that you're not alone in delayed processing time, and that yours is actually pretty fast from where I stand.
    +1 It takes me a ridiculously, ridiculously long time to realize when something has deeply hurt my feelings.


    Quote Originally Posted by violaine View Post
    I used to have a huge problem with delayed reactions. I tell people I need time to respond now and it seems to help me feel more free to feel what I'm going to sooner. I would regularly feel numb in the moment after a shock, especially if someone is demanding a definitive reaction from me at that moment. And then it would hit me a few days later. Bleh.

    I think it's due to a few factors. I like being composed externally but that is never how I feel inside if something bad has happened. I like harmony and it used to push me to make up quickly, often before I was really ready or it was good for the relationship. (Better with that now). And there are always factors to weigh up before I have my appropriate, reasoned out emotional response, so I automatically repress in the moment. I also usually regret those times I have snapped about something, it makes me feel terrible later so that has discouraged spontaneous emotional reactions.

    I still have a problem if it's the kind of shock that could end a relationship. I might get a six month delay on something like that. :/ Then it hits me and I feel how I feel and nothing is going to change it even if I want it to be different. I think I have only worked through one of those delayed reactions to the benefit of the person I was with.
    I don’t know how many times- when it finally hits me- I couldn’t believe something wasn’t clear to me sooner, in regard to whether or not I can accept certain behaviors from other people. I’ll initially put up with something when I find out about it, believe I’ve made a decision to forgive it (for the sake of harmony)- only to figure out later that it really isn’t acceptable to me. I’ve gotten a lot better myself about committing to having forgiven things, because I hate going back on it once I’ve said something is okay.

    Ironically, one of the very few things that makes me angry immediately is when someone tries coercing me into feeling something sooner than I am able to feel it (when someone demands a definitive reaction). Whether it’s done intentionally or not- if someone tries making it look like a deficiency on my part (in order to speed me up), tries guilting me into speeding the process up or manipulates me in any way- it’s instantly unacceptable behavior to me. That might be about repetition, though. I’m much quicker to realize I’m angry or hurt by things that resemble emotional shocks I've already had to process from other past experiences.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

    5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

  5. #35
    violaine
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    Ironically, one of the very few things that makes me angry immediately is when someone tries coercing me into feeling something sooner than I am able to feel it (when someone demands a definitive reaction). Whether it’s done intentionally or not- if someone tries making it look like a deficiency on my part (in order to speed me up), tries guilting me into speeding the process up or manipulates me in any way- it’s instantly unacceptable behavior to me. That might be about repetition, though. I’m much quicker to realize I’m angry or hurt by things that resemble emotional shocks I've already had to process from other past experiences.
    I'm exactly the same, especially with regard to the bolded. If someone is coming after me to nail me down about what I think/feel before I'm ready, especially if I have told them how I work (and I tell anyone I'm close to how I work) or if I have asked for time out and they don't give it to me, I become livid. It's a very alien kind of anger that comes out of nowhere. It feels extremely unfair to me, like a kind of harassment, when someone doesn't give me time to process my thoughts and formulate my response to something important.

    Further to that, I suspect I need this processing time because I'm trying to be fair to everyone involved while trying to make the right decision the first time around. I don't like being unfair and I never weight my feelings more heavily than those of someone I care about (or anyone else, really). I wish I did. :/

  6. #36
    4x9 cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp
    Posts
    6,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    +1 It takes me a ridiculously, ridiculously long time to realize when something has deeply hurt my feelings.
    You know, I think this is kind of off-topic but I'll mention it anyway because it's related to not knowing how I feel sometimes until I look back in retrospect.

    I can think of two examples, and both tie to me being out of my comfort zone and being more in 'survival mode', and/or me having uncertainties while in it.

    The first example was when I spent 3 weeks living with a family in Peru a few years ago, without knowing the language and thus not able to communicate, really. Because I really had no choice but to get as much as I could out of the situation, for those three weeks I decided to just roll with it and ignore/push back any more negative feelings - because those weren't going to help me out in the situation. So for those 3 weeks, while experiencing the 3 weeks, I really did think things were ok and I was doing ok. And, you know, I was - my discomfort aside. But man - once I was away, and realized I was relieved to be away, it occurred to me that I had been stressed, that I really didn't want to be around them, that I really didn't like them as people, that the whole thing had been exceedingly uncomfortable but I had squelched most of that for pragmatic reasons, I think.

    Second example is similar. Last spring when I was teaching elementary kids - 3-4 classes in a row in the mornings, of up to 50 kids each - I did it because I had always been curious whether it was a career path I could do. It was way out of my comfort zone, but I pulled out the stops and did the extroverted-in-the-spotlight thing, and actually did pretty well. I enjoyed aspects of it, and was proud of it, and even liked elements of it, and because I had committed to doing it and wanted to see it through to the end (because there was really no reason not to, either, as technically I COULD do it), I really wasn't going to be able to do it unless I squelched or didn't even allow the more negative feelings to surface. Now the reality is that if had really been bad, I wouldn't have been able to do it. So it was within my skillset, so to speak -- just really pushing it in some ways. But even until the end, I wasn't sure how I felt about it exactly, or whether it was something I wanted to pursue further after that job ended. But again - right when it ended, my feeling was one of relief. And -- all of this stuff I've written about it now is stuff I realized mostly after-the-fact, once I was OUT of it.

    Don't know if any of that made sense or not.

    This has been applicable to a few relationships, too - but I think it's important to point out that both of these were ones where my intuition was never on-board to begin with, and I was totally rushed/overwhelmed by the other person and their feelings -- and I was just giving the benefit of the doubt and such. So I'd push back or second-guess any negative things that were nagging me, or decide I was wrong about something, and then it was after I was out that I became totally pissed off at myself for doing that and I realized my feelings were so not on board or present while I was in - I was just trying to convince myself of their existence while in. It's something I *really* kick myself about -- I've only really screwed up in this way twice, and after the first time I vowed never to do that again, but, ya know, 7 years passed and I forgot..... These two I'm-a-moron relationship instances are the primary things in my life I'm really disgusted with myself about.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

  7. #37
    Junior Member Ian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2

    Default

    The elated feeling I gain from closure immediately becomes diminished if I don't regurgitate all of my realizations back into a song. I am currently in the midst of one of those "scrambling to get it all down so that I become more self actualized" periods, and this thread inspired the decision of having this be the first place I shall display my new album. After all, if there is anyone that could benefit from listening to such music, it would be fellow INFJ's/NF's in general!

    Why didn't I think of this sooner?! (a sarcastic, yet truthful comment haha)

    http://www.myspace.com/painterspaintings
    This is from the first album released 8/2010(which I consider to be ages ago in terms of self development)
    ...this new album shall be done and up on 2/20/10
    Enjoy

  8. #38
    Senior Member Neutralpov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    EnfJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    311

    Default

    This thread almost made me cry last night. I 100% identify with it and would say that the figuring out something after or when out of the situation is a definite weakness for me. I always explained it that I was an "understanding by relation" person or just my enneagram 1 personality. Like my friends would ask me what I thought about a new guy I was dating and I could list the qualities and how I felt around him. But when around another guy or good friends I could sense (intuitively) what he was like because I would feel different feelings/energies/ vibe and I could then easily compare how I am around the guy.

    I attributed this to Fe in my past. Fe is active and concretely engaged in the environment and is dangerous in overload. That is when I missed the most cues from lack of relational analysis and introspection. And since I am delayed as well if I am not continually doing it I run into bad relationships and people who I am giving too much for and will regret it later for sure.

    I have a question also. Reading this thread made me realize I don't forgive well. I completely cut a best friend out of my life in Sept 2009 and I still can get violently mad internally around her because of the lack of closure. I realized it when I read that you have them in your dreams and it is so true! And I wrote that nasty venting letter and tossed it a year ago and try to forgive but I would say that there is nothing worse than what she did in terms of me holding on to my anger. She wouldn't apologize and didn't even though she knew she was wrong and wrong enough for me to cut all contact from her permanently and understood why. I have had more malicious or hurtful things in terms of intention done that I could forgive or move on with but it seems that what she "did" to end the friendship it is not the problem anymore but that last leaving stab of no closure and offing no apologies to me or sympathies which I offered her.
    All in all to say this thread made me feel normal but is there a solution other than time and forcing yourself to forgive (which I have been unsuccessful at for quite some time in this ONE person)?

    I relate to INFJ on forgiveness and the delayed time bomb a lot and not ENFJs. I am also a enneagram 1 so this area of knowing you are right but the other person refusing to give to you engages the “righteous anger” in me. I feel I have the same force engaged when social justice issues come up! Moving on is easy with closure but the simple pat answers to forgiving don't seem to work for me. Seemed like I was fine for a season or two and the feelings came back full force after the busy wears off.

    Anyway if I you take nothing else from my post at least take this: Thank you a lot for this thread it is therapeutic I guess. Counseling classes don't work for self-therapy at all. Go figure

  9. #39
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    it's not just ticking time bomb responses that are delayed, pretty much everything INFJs say is delayed. I find talking to my dad almost impossible for this reason. Ne is like "boom boom boom! connection! idea! connection!" while Ni + Fe is like "hmmm........ (12 hours - several years later) AHHHHH!!!!!", and then it expects you to wait patiently for those 12 hours while they formulate a response. I suppose it's unfair of me to single out INFJs though. one of the reasons I stay on forums so much is because I get so annoyed with people's perpetual inability to communicate in real time. I mean, there is a time for pauses and rushed responses are something to be avoided, but somewhere in the middle is where good conversation lies. is this expecting too much of people or am I just not around people who are conversationally adept?
    I think when you say "somewhere in the middle is where good conversation lies", that's about it. I don't think all INFJs are quite as extreme as what you describe! I do sometimes feel like my delayed reaction thing is almost out of my control...though I know it's not, or not entirely. But being a good conversationalist...I dunno, I just try to be a good listener. And I know that sometimes I go off on odd tangents, or come back to a subject when others have moved or whatever...those aren't always bad things, but I think it's being self-aware. I just try to restrain myself a little if I'm getting too INFJ weird unless it's with someone who will really understand and appreciate that style!


    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC View Post
    I have a question also. Reading this thread made me realize I don't forgive well. I completely cut a best friend out of my life in Sept 2009 and I still can get violently mad internally around her because of the lack of closure. I realized it when I read that you have them in your dreams and it is so true! And I wrote that nasty venting letter and tossed it a year ago and try to forgive but I would say that there is nothing worse than what she did in terms of me holding on to my anger. She wouldn't apologize and didn't even though she knew she was wrong and wrong enough for me to cut all contact from her permanently and understood why. I have had more malicious or hurtful things in terms of intention done that I could forgive or move on with but it seems that what she "did" to end the friendship it is not the problem anymore but that last leaving stab of no closure and offing no apologies to me or sympathies which I offered her.
    All in all to say this thread made me feel normal but is there a solution other than time and forcing yourself to forgive (which I have been unsuccessful at for quite some time in this ONE person)?

    I relate to INFJ on forgiveness and the delayed time bomb a lot and not ENFJs. I am also a enneagram 1 so this area of knowing you are right but the other person refusing to give to you engages the “righteous anger” in me. I feel I have the same force engaged when social justice issues come up! Moving on is easy with closure but the simple pat answers to forgiving don't seem to work for me. Seemed like I was fine for a season or two and the feelings came back full force after the busy wears off.

    Anyway if I you take nothing else from my post at least take this: Thank you a lot for this thread it is therapeutic I guess. Counseling classes don't work for self-therapy at all. Go figure
    Well, I relate to a great deal of what you said - in fact, I could have written much of it myself. I totally hear you about having a hard time forgiving in cases where there is no closure. Generally I think I am very forgiving and I let a lot of stuff go. But there are those certain times when I end up holding a grudge for years. (I have to admit it has more than once been a guy who has spurned me, or who I had unrequited feelings for and who then somehow treated me in a cruel way, etc.) And when I was able to discuss the matter with them (if that was able to happen) and received some sort of apology, those negative feelings would by and large evaporate.

    I think it's a combination of the delayed reaction and the righteous anger thing. I think of myself as having slow-release delayed reactions, unfortunately. I seem to be in the middle of one now, for the past week. Emotionally upset over something and feeling better some days, worse others. THinking I've come to terms with it and then other things come to mind. Sometimes, thinking I've dealt with something and then a few days later it cycles round again and it seems I must deal with it again.

    It is particularly bad if there is an offended sense of justice involved too. It's like if there was injustice involved, and you didn't get an apology/closure etc, it just allows free flow for all those bad feelings to keep going round and round and round. If you get the justice aspect resolved, apologies, etc, it's like unplugging a drain which allows many or most of the bad feelings to drain away.

    I think otherwise, if there is no opportunity for closure, you have to allow the passage of time, and try to school your thoughts to not dwell on the situation too much. I shouldn't preach about this - it takes so, so much time and I'm bad at schooling my thoughts. But basically that is the way to go. And if you can get as much distance as possible from the person that is good (also not always possible). Meet some new people who might be good friends, do things you enjoy, etc. But sometimes you have to suffer the passage of time with these things, I guess. I certainly have some experience of that.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  10. #40
    Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,460

    Default

    i attribute it to not being in touch with your own experience and not really keeping the story of your experience rolling. one of the shitty things about being predominately left-brained. we identify with systems more than stories. we're always checking the ecological validity rather than building our story of the events as we subjectively experienced them, rather than building a case from inner validity. so it takes a while to identify the key conflicts and the key sticking points, rather than being reactive and responsive right away and having that register as something coming at you from outside of you, from an environmental stimulus. it's the difference, i think as has been said, between being a creature of semantic framework (Pi) rather than a creature of the time/space constructed environment around you (Pe).

    any strategies for monitoring one's mood and emotional state? of trying to take better notes and trace hurt feelings to direct stimuli/events/persons?

Similar Threads

  1. [INFJ] The reason INFJs find it hard to forgive
    By KLessard in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 02-24-2014, 10:51 PM
  2. [INFJ] INFJ's Captivation with Certain Time Frames
    By CuriousFeeling in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-30-2012, 10:28 PM
  3. [INFJ] The Empath (INFJ)
    By wedekit in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 08-23-2010, 03:14 PM
  4. [INFJ] INFJs: What makes you tick?
    By brainheart in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-17-2009, 06:21 AM
  5. [INFJ] The Rare INFJ INFJ Match
    By catchsouth4 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-16-2009, 12:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO