User Tag List

First 10181920212230 Last

Results 191 to 200 of 499

  1. #191
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    EW's post isn't meant to be extrapolated in the direction that Orangey is taking.
    It's not like I got that from nowhere. Those are the implications of what she said.

    Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I think to Fe-Ti, the veracity of the claims (or lack thereof, depending) is very relevant to the conversation that took place. To determine whether the ISTP was being overly harsh or not, it seems important to know whether the claims were valid.

    I think in Fi-Te terms that perhaps is a separate issue. For me, it is one and the same issue, and that is maybe why there seems to be a disconnect.
    Precisely.

    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    The problem is that we don't have the benefit of all the information in order to make a judgement. We're extrapolating without sufficient data or verifying data, about both people really. It makes the discussion speculative at best.
    Then why is it okay to come to the conclusion that the ISTP was definitively being cruel?

    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    I think to Fi / Te, even if the ISFP mom was doing all the things the ISTP said (since the ISTP was speaking in a lot of absolutes and using dramatic prose, it is hard to imagine there's not some exaggeration, and if she really felt the children were being neglected it seems inconceivable that she wouldn't have already contacted children's services), the ISFP mom still deserves to be treated with a core of respect. That's about the best way I can sum it up.
    How do you know she's not being treated with "a core of respect?" Are you saying that simply the act of venting behind her back means that the ISTP is not treating her with respect?

    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    It's almost like, if the ISFP mom is a bad mom, she deserves all the commentary raised against her. Is that how some folks feel?
    I agree with Tallulah's answer here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Be part of the solution, not the problem. I'm the type that would be helping the ISFP connect with the resources that would help her. If I saw a financial need, I'd probably help her out if she was living in my place. The ISFP's cleanliness would not bother me, as it's none of my business, nor would I make it my business. If I was concerned that her children were abused, I would turn her into child protective services for investigation, not vent. Again, venting is counter-productive.

    In summary, I'm not holding in any negative feelings; thus, there's nothing to vent about. Why? Because I've taken action to solve the problem or facilitate positive change here. As a result, I'll sleep well at night.

    ^And that's who I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    You don't know me. I'm a good person. I care about people. I hold no ill wills. I help people when I can.
    Is this real? Hail, for an Angel of God is descended upon us!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    I also don't see the ISTP/ISFP's situation as complicated.
    That's because you're looking at it through the most simplistic (read: crude) possible lens.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    With that said, I have nothing more to add to this discussion.
    I'm sure we'll get over the loss.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    People who judge people who judge.

    Just a point about Christians who do good deeds even when they are not feeling it: they do it for Christ's sake. Sometimes you don't get past your own human nature enough to be truly saintly and love every person and not judge anyone, but you can at least do what Jesus asked you to do, which is feed and clothe and shelter the poor, visit the sick, visit the prisoners...It's like having a job. Sometimes you hate your stinking job, but you do it because it's your job. Well, sometimes you really don't feel like doing good works, but you do them anyway, because they need to be done and it's your job because took a vow to live as a Christian to the best of your ability. It's not personal, actually. It's not about liking the person so you decide you will help them, or about feeling generous toward someone, so you decide to take them in. It's not even about showing off. Even Mother Theresa said very explicitly that sometimes she wasn't feelin' it, not even a little bit, and some days she wasn't even sure there was a God.

    Basing your Christianity on whether you feel like it or not is not a very good approach because of course you won't always feel like it. That doesn't mean you get to quit. You may actively dislike who has been put in your path for you to help, and that's too bad, too. Sometimes it's just like that. There are certain ways of being in the world that Jesus was very clear about -- pay your taxes, for example, whether you support the government or not. Be a lawful citizen.

    I kind of see the church lady caught in that struggle. Sometimes when I've succeeded brilliantly in acting right, the more of a struggle it was, the more I would like to vent about how hard it is.

    As far as some of the judgments on the kids, I wonder if she's saying the mother seems to have no plan to work with them -- she just holds the baby, as opposed to making eye contact with it, talking to it, encouraging it to talk, playing peek-a-boo or where's your nose etc -- same thing with the older child, who, when you speak to it, it just looks at you, and the mother doesn't prompt it to teach it basic conversation skills -- "Can you say hello to Mrs. Church Lady? Say hello." The kids run around like dogs -- as opposed to her reading them Dr. Seuss books or some other directed, interactive activity that would help them learn to focus and follow directions and be ready to learn in school. They don't eat food or seem puzzled by it because they're not encouraged to eat new things or to eat at all. The complaint seems to me to be more that she's not trying than about whether or not she is getting results.

    I agree with whoever posted upthread that the church lady is judging the young mother as a mother, not as a person. She's evaluating her job performance. It's not so personal.
    Agreed.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  2. #192
    Emerging Tallulah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    6,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    You don't know me. I'm a good person. I care about people. I hold no ill wills. I help people when I can. I have nothing more to add.
    I'm sure you are. Unfortunately, that's wholly irrelevant to this situation. People are different. Some people need to talk about things to get a better understanding of an issue, which they do feel is necessary. There are 16 different MBTI types, which would seem to indicate we have different ways of going about things. You can't say that just because YOU don't need to, that no one ever should. You also can't make people behave like they would in your ideal world. People don't like being scolded. Your judgment is palpable.

    I'm a good person who helps people and cares about people, too. But I understand venting. People don't have to be homeless or underdogs to deserve understanding.
    Something Witty

  3. #193
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Be part of the solution, not the problem. I'm the type that would help the ISFP connect with the resources that would help her. If I saw a financial need, I'd probably help her out if she was living in my place. The ISFP's cleanliness would not bother me, as it's none of my business, nor would I make it my business. If I was concerned that her children were abused, I would turn her into child protective services for investigation, not vent. Again, venting is counter-productive.

    In summary, I'm not holding in any negative feelings; thus, there's nothing to vent about. Why? Because I've taken action to solve the problem or facilitate positive change here. As a result, I'll sleep well at night.

    ^And that's who I am.
    Well, that's good. Very admirable behavior, especially considering your own standards about venting.

    But the thing you seem to be missing is that not everyone feels that way about venting. Some of us are built in such a way that we NEED to vent to someone in private about problems we're having with someone else. For us, not saying something negative to a person's face is a sign of consideration. I wouldn't tend to just act rather than think... because it's never obvious to me what the best solution is. It would be much more complicated in my mind, involving how it would affect other people, whether my assessment was right, or whether I had the right to act or not... and it would all be very frustrating. I would want to discuss the situation with others before taking action or saying anything, to make sure that my assessment was fair, and that I don't cause anyone unnecessary pain or concern due to my frustration and perception that there are problems.

    For me, venting is about seeking validation of my feelings. When I don't get that, I don't function very well, become extremely detached/withdrawn, and end up trying to stay out of the situation completely.

  4. #194
    Emerging Tallulah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    6,028

    Default

    Very well said, Ath! Totally agree with that assessment.
    Something Witty

  5. #195
    A window to the soul
    Guest

    Default

    I understand all of your positions. I'm not trying to take away from anyone here or shut down this thread. Nor am I sitting around judging anyone. I am simply sharing ideas and things I've recently learned. It's not necessary to respond to me as if I don't understand y'alls side. For heaven's sake, I do! I just want to share thoughts as well. Please let me do that in peace.

    <3

  6. #196
    Emerging Tallulah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    6,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    I understand all of your positions. I'm not trying to take away from anyone here or shut down this thread. Nor am I sitting around judging anyone. I am simply sharing ideas and things I've recently learned. It's not necessary to respond to me as if I don't understand y'alls side. For heaven's sake, I do! I just want to share thoughts as well. Please let me do that in peace.

    <3
    That's fine, only your previous statements were kinda judgey. Go back and read them. You weren't saying that this is what works in your experience; you were saying that basically no one should ever need to vent, and that venting was always counterproductive. That might be true for a dom/aux Fi person, which I believe you to be. But it's not the case for an Fe user. When you imply that it should be, you can't really expect people to leave you in peace and not challenge what you're saying. If it had been clear in your posts that you understood there was another perspective, neither Athenian nor I would have felt the need to address that idea.
    Something Witty

  7. #197
    A window to the soul
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    That's fine, only your previous statements were kinda judgey. Go back and read them. You weren't saying that this is what works in your experience; you were saying that basically no one should ever need to vent, and that venting was always counterproductive. That might be true for a dom/aux Fi person, which I believe you to be. But it's not the case for an Fe user. When you imply that it should be, you can't really expect people to leave you in peace and not challenge what you're saying. If it had been clear in your posts that you understood there was another perspective, neither Athenian nor I would have felt the need to address that idea.
    ^ Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I can see how y'all would think that. Next time, I will add a few more pertinent details about where I'm coming from to avoid misunderstandings.

  8. #198
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,657

    Default

    I have 2 questions for Fe-users...

    1) Do you find yourself easily venting to others about logical problems as well? I mean...Ti-stuff then. I know that when I encounter a snag in my 'logical' plan, in my Te, it frustrates me to no end and I'm likely to need to vent someone, especially if I'm stuck as it untangles things. Now, I have this with people as well, but way less. Most of the time, I can untangle that mess myself, by introverting, by considering their side, by understanding. Unless I get really stuck emotionally and someone really really really got to me, which requires me talking to someone objective to vent to as well as untangle the mess in my head. That would mean that I either a) don't have enough info on this person to see their side (and someone else might be able to see what I'm missing), or b) They really cross some core beliefs of mine as a person (which is why perhaps NFPs consider it harsh when you vent about someone behind their back...it looks like you're judging them as a *person* and not even doing so to their face). I've found though as time goes by that all people in the b) category are ultimately just really difficult a) people

    The point is, if I vent, it's either coz I am unable to understand the person, which happens way less than the other reason, the fact that I cannot see my way clear of a logical mess. So I'm wondering..is that coz I'm not as good at Te as Fi, or is it coz Te is extraverted? Do you feel less likely to vent about problems with things than you do when the problem is people?

    2) Many of you said that they're judging the job she did as a mother, not the person itself. What does a judgement of the person as a whole look like for an Fe-user? And how does it come about? How is it experienced? Is it ever personal?
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  9. #199
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    If I count as a Fe user (I'd just say non-Fi user),

    1) Do you find yourself easily venting to others about logical problems as well? Do you feel less likely to vent about problems with things than you do when the problem is people?
    For me, it's any situation that has me frustrated. That'll often be what happens at work (mostly just commiserating more than venting). Actually, I think (in person) I'm more likely to vent about things than people, because the former doesn't require sharing private, possibly unreasonable thoughts. How I feel about things isn't personal whereas my feelings about people are almost by definition more irrational, emotional etc. And I do know that I have a tendency to judge people more than I should, so I try to avoid airing those thoughts publicly. But maybe the venting about people will be more intense (than about things) when it happens, because I'll restrain myself until holding it in becomes intolerable, and because the situation will usually have more emotions attached. In that case, it will certainly be vented only to trusted people who I don't think will share the information.

    2) Many of you said that they're judging the job she did as a mother, not the person itself. What does a judgement of the person as a whole look like for an Fe-user? And how does it come about? How is it experienced? Is it ever personal?

    I guess a judgement of the person would tend to be "he's an asshole" or maybe "we don't get along". It tends to happen when the person does things (usually more than a few) that show that they're inconsiderate jerks. Experienced? I don't spend time dwelling on it unless I'm forced to be in that person's company, which I would certainly avoid if possible. I'm not sure what you mean by personal. Of course it's about that individual person.

    In this case I would imagine judging the mother personally by saying "she doesn't care about her kids", "she's cruel and abusive", "she's stupid", "she's (optional: white) trash", "she's ungrateful", etc. A few of these were implied by Fi but I'm not sure they were actually meant (she did say IF she cared then...., which is pretty close). Most of what the istp said was descriptive rather than inferring motives, though.
    -end of thread-

  10. #200
    reborn PeaceBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    Posts
    6,226

    Default

    I too have some questions for Fe users (forgive the term):

    1.) Rather than argue against the Fi position, can you accept it for what it is? That basically, inner and outer congruency are important to Fi users, and people who act one way but speak another way will appear somewhat illogical, inconsistent, even deceptive to us? I mean, Fi users = 50% of the population. You can't discredit the kind of effects your words about other people will have on them. It's not much different than Fe users complaining about Fi users venting on their inner state, believing they are trying to stir up other people with "drama".

    2.) And is Fe venting generally about other people? That's the sense I get. The Fe users are feeling stuff that they believe is caused by other people, so they need to bounce it off a confidante as a kind of quality control check. Is that accurate? Do Fe users ever just own their feelings instead of needing to do an external check (do you know what I mean by that?)

    3.) When you have an Fe venting session, do you really want to know what the listener is thinking? An Fi / Te user is going to try to solve your problems or counter any faulty emotional logic with a reality check. If you just need to be heard in your complaining about other people, what kind of information is best shared in response? Can you self-balance? Do you need to hear whether the listener thinks the feelings are justified?

    And as I said before, I TOTALLY get the need to vent, and I can take it for what it is from the Fe users in my life. I mostly let it run its course unless it really goes off the rails of logic. Share more with me, Fe!


    P.S. Aside from protean, no one has contacted me about doing anything to aid this family. Please let me know if you are interested, via PM or wall post.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt


    "When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Similar Threads

  1. [Fi] The One Where an Inferior Fi User Groundlessly Speculates about FPs...
    By Wind Up Rex in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 08-07-2013, 10:06 AM
  2. [Fe] When an Fe user verbally rants....
    By sculpting in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-28-2009, 11:01 AM
  3. [NF] theory about Fe & Fi
    By lorkan in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 02-23-2009, 06:37 PM
  4. auxilary Fe/Fi detectives
    By entropie in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-06-2008, 09:37 PM
  5. Fe/Fi interactions with Te/Ti
    By proteanmix in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-20-2007, 10:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO