User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Two threads on this topic:
    Love Languages Test
    The Languages of Love

I personally believe it has a lot to do with how one was brought up, as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    27% Physical Touch 8
    23% Words of Affirmation 7
    20% Quality Time 6
    17% Receiving Gifts 5
    13% Acts of Service 4
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

MBTI
    INFJ

I'd rank mine as

1 - Quality Time
    2 - Acts of Service
    3 - Physical Touch
    4 - Words of affirmation
    5 - Receiving gifts

I do really like receiving gifts that are artistically driven - a poem, short story, or picture someone draws for me feels a lot more special than an item I probably don't need that someone buys for me. The intent always means more to me than the gift itself.
    I believe in make believe.

Sniffles

Yeah these were my results in that test
    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    33% Quality Time
    27% Words of Affirmation
    23% Physical Touch
    10% Acts of Service
    7% Receiving Gifts

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenAutumn View Post
    Thanks, I did list them, but it's probably clearer numbered like that.
    WOW!! you are correct.. and I even double checked to make sure I hadn't missed them, somehow..

MBTI
    INFJ

So true Lightyear, homemade gifts translate as quality time.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    WOW!! you are correct.. and I even double checked to make sure I hadn't missed them, somehow..
    Haha, no worries. I do stuff like that ALL the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post

I personally believe it has a lot to do with how one was brought up, as well.
    I am not sure. My mum's main love language is gifts and I remember always being nonplussed why she had to buy me these expensive things, couldn't she use the money for something more useful? Then I realised after many years that she is trying to express her love to me through these gifts... oh! Also physical touch is my second highest love language but no one in my family was ever particularly into giving hugs etc.

Also which love language are INFJs most likely to use with others?

Mine is words of affirmation, I love to point out positive things about people and to encourage them (might also be an Fe thing). And especially with smaller children physical touch is a big one to express my care.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    I am not sure. My mum's main love language is gifts and I remember always being nonplussed why she had to buy me these expensive things, couldn't she use the money for something more useful? Then I realised after many years that she is trying to express her love to me through these gifts... oh! Also physical touch is my second highest love language but no one in my family was ever particularly into giving hugs etc.
    Similar for me with my father. So, maybe thats part of why gifts is low on both of our lists.

What I meant was that the preference can be related to our first relationships in life, not that they necessarily duplicate them in some linear way. I hope that clarifies it somewhat.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I dunno, I like both giving and receiving gifts. The distinction is that they are reflective of someone knowing who I am or thinking of me, or having taken the time to make the effort. Even little notes here and there or a piece of fruit or candy that I like can mean the world to me. I get a lot of fun out of figuring out the right gift to give someone or surprising them with something unexpected. It took me a long time to realize that that can actually even make some people feel uncomfortable. That is probably one of the things I appreciated most about my ex-boyfriend. He was wonderful at noticing little practical things I needed or that he thought I would like: a flashdrive when they were new, a book or magazine brought back from a trip (we lived in a place where you couldn't get that sort of thing easily), a small food surprise in my mailbox at school, a note on my door saying what the menu for the evening would be so I could look forward to it, a fire extinguisher for the apartment so we were both outfitted, a lanyard so that I wouldn't have trouble locating my keys.

I was going to put acts of service last, but that's not really true either. Many of the people I've dated have done things for me that I either didn't have the know-how to do or disliked doing and I've never forgotten it. My dad primarily shows he cares by doing things for me - things like checking my oil or noticing that my floor mats won't stay flat and replacing them or helping me pack my car or carrying my violin, guitar etc or giving me rides if it makes things more convenient etc. I probably don't remember to do some of those things for others as often, but if I know of something that will make them especially happy, I can't wait to do it for them and surprise them. I remember feeling really badly a couple of times when I arrived early from the holidays and took time to air out my boyfriend's apartment (which was next door to mine), put nice placemats on the table when he hadn't owned any and wanted some, cleaned the bathroom, vacuumed, replenished the water jugs for drinking water and put milk and a couple of nice surprises in the fridge because I thought it would be pleasant not to have to do those things right after coming back and I knew that it generally mattered to him. He walked in and didn't even comment on it, even though he had noticed those things had been done. I think it made him feel like I expected the same, which I did not.

Quality time matters a lot to me and so does physical touch, so I suppose those would be towards the top of the list. I like knowing that someone wants to spend time with me and that they also like the comfort and communication of being near me.

I think I need words of affirmation too though and give them quite freely if I feel they are true. If somebody doesn't say anything affirming, I tend to wonder if there is anything they appreciate about me and why they are even there if they don't. It makes me feel both uncertain or resentful.

Is it selfish to say I want it all?

MBTI
    INFJ

Actually Fidelia, it's great that you want it all. It means no matter how someone expresses love to you you will feel it and accept it.