• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] The Asperger's Appreciation Thread!

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Proving statements goes to the person who stated it.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Proving statements goes to the person who stated it.

Incorrect, a common misconception (particular on such droll places as INTJ forum).

Infact, it is up to you to check the sources and find something that my proposed notion which you may note I quite accurately called...

Totally non-scientific definition:

Anyway, I'll give you few tips to start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome#References

By all means, let me know how you get on with those. I'm fascinated to hear the results.

But, I'll tell you what, I'm being really generous today. Here's what the aspergers foundation UK says:

Reasons for Anger Episodes Experienced by People with Asperger’s Syndrome:
* A limited ability to manage negative feelings, especially frustration
* A lack of empathy and self control to moderate their reaction
* A perception of anger as a solution to problems (negative reinforcement)
* Immature conflict resolution skills
* A limited vocabulary to express negative emotions
* A tendency to literal interpretation, which can lead to problems
* Impaired theory of mind skills and apparent paranoia
* An authoritarian nature
* Being set up by others (live theatre)
* The externalisation of agitated depression
* A thought or emotion ‘tic’ (as with Tourette Syndrome)
* A Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde character
* A need to target those closest to them
* An intolerance of imperfection and people being inconsistent
* An anger that is intense but brief
* A lack of anger memory

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Except for limited vocabulary, lack of empathy, and authoritarian nature, the rest of it could easily be a person with bipolar disorder.

This is why it makes so much sense to me that they could be genetically linked.

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Incorrect, a common misconception (particular on such droll places as INTJ forum).

Funny.. i can`t recall i have ever heard about a court that jugdes someone because of the lack of evidence supporting the prosecutors claims.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I was unaware that this forum was a court of law! Learn something new every day. :D

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
[youtube="ckqDX2XpdyY"]Savant Drawings[/youtube]
Ooooh super detail.

[youtube="OV_CcmLlaw4"]Asperger's[/youtube]

[youtube="VnYmchKitp8"]Life in Pictures[/youtube]

Now what gets me is 3-12 months no worries then at 18 months she starts saying there is something off but seemed okay before then.

Cool vids though.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
18 months to 3 years is when the social development deficit tends to show up in people with high-functioning (yes, I know I protested the use of that term, but I don't know of a better one- like I said, it's compicated) autism. That's when children normally begin climbing the "hierarchy of play," from playing alone with objects to playing cooperatively with other children. It's also when their language normally begins to diversify and become more complex.

My son seemed fine as a baby too, but in retrospect now that I know more about how his brain works I can see things that I missed at the time. He met all his verbal milestones, smiled, made eye-contact, all that stuff. (Smiling and eye-contact has never been a problem for him- and he's very affectionate.) But once things should have started getting more complex, he mainly repeated lines from books or TV shows, things he heard us say, etc. He was stuck at "object play" for a long time. He didn't engage in pretend play until he was taught how to do it.

http://www.med.unc.edu/ahs/ocsci/se...riefs/object-play-in-infants-with-autism-html

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I think my brother has it but I don't know for sure. After autism became better known pretty much everyone in my family has wondered about it for him. He has a hard time holding a job because of his poor people skills.

I finally realized maybe I should look into it for him and mention it to him because of the financial help he may be able to get since he has money troubles because of the job troubles. I don't know what to look into though.

He was a very difficult child but at that point (he was born in '66) no one really knew what to do with children who were different.

Any suggestions?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I would check the universities in your brother's area and see if any have autism research departments. They often offer services to the community, including diagnosis.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I really suspect I am mildy asperger with how my life has shaped. I need appreciation, I can use the boost, my career and love life remain consistently like they did since 95, dish washer liquid stat! Heart pump non action with a nine millimeter screwdriver called social faux pas. I'm probably just good at NF'ing it away. lol