User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 53

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MatsNorway View Post
    So how do you separate them from ADD/AD/HD people then?

    I know a guy ho once without no reason imitated my nabour.. My nabour had a squeaky voice and the dude repeated it and laughed. The nabour got angry and yelled at him.

    Only the "aspie" found it funny. Or so it seemed.. I don`t think he really did tho..
    Totally non-scientific definition:

    ADHD people seem very interactive and seem to be easily bored. As a consequence they seek out interaction and some can seem socially aggressive. They tend to push against any measure which restrains these activities. More of your E than your I dichotomy.

    ADD I dunno exactly what the difference is compared to ADHD.

    Aspies are usually quiet but have restricted behaviours and interests such as very idiosyncratic speech patterns. In addition do not like the usual modes of social interaction and can be very avoidant of eye contact and emotional reciprocation. They tend to push back hard when they feel pushed upon but otherwise will be non-responsive. More of your I than your E dichotomy.

    Both have low levels of emotional control; although for the Aspies it's supposed to be more reactive to outside influences than something that just happens spontaneously without warning; although it can be misunderstood if something is left on the back-burner, especially in children which are somewhat expected to act 'in the moment' rather than holding back.

    I love this entry on Wikipedia because it has the description most people I have seen wave about trying to 'grasp' at what Ni does:

    Quote Originally Posted by Some Random
    Although individuals with Asperger syndrome acquire language skills without significant general delay and their speech typically lacks significant abnormalities, language acquisition and use is often atypical. Abnormalities include verbosity, abrupt transitions, literal interpretations and miscomprehension of nuance, use of metaphor meaningful only to the speaker, auditory perception deficits, unusually pedantic, formal or idiosyncratic speech, and oddities in loudness, pitch, intonation, prosody, and rhythm.

  2. #32
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MatsNorway View Post
    Thats all?

    That's a lot.

    I'm wondering why people with aspergers are very attached to the label "aspergers" since it's actually under the umbrella of autism. A lot of people with aspergers that I've met online (none IRL) seem to get offended if you say "autistic" instead of "aspergers," although it IS a form of autism. IMO, sometimes it can seem a bit elitist, like "oh I just have aspergers, the smart-guy kind of autism, I'm not like other people with autism."
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  3. #33
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    As for personal data, my neice has asperger's syndrome, and the only thing I can say about romance is that we believe that she may have inherited it from her father, and he was a virgin until he was twenty-six, is extremely socially awkward in group situations (but is funny and smart one-on-one and clearly doesn't miss much) and completely lacks the sense of what to do in basic situations, for example, my mother got frustrated with him one time because he had to be told to help her and my sister get things out of the car, he doesn't have any social impulse (we would call it totally lacking Fe around here, maybe...) YET he's very good with his daughter, and with my sister's son, who isn't even his child.

    My sister complains sometimes that she feels distant and rejected by him emotionally, but oddly enough he seems to love her devotedly to the point that he'd do anything for her, but I'm sure it's the vibe she gets...I've dealt with this before, I discussed this in a thread where I had a male friend whom I liked and I had a similar feeling of rejection by him, and was extremely surprised that he got tears in his eyes when I got upset and confronted him about it, and he reacted very extremely to the situation. I think my sister has to deal with this regularly, but he does seem to love her madly, and everyone in my family can see it.

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    That's a lot.

    I'm wondering why people with aspergers are very attached to the label "aspergers" since it's actually under the umbrella of autism. A lot of people with aspergers that I've met online (none IRL) seem to get offended if you say "autistic" instead of "aspergers," although it IS a form of autism. IMO, sometimes it can seem a bit elitist, like "oh I just have aspergers, the smart-guy kind of autism, I'm not like other people with autism."
    See above for literal interpretations and miscomprehension of nuance. It would seem to be that asperger individuals are very very contextually sensitive. They like to have a very clear (internal) definition of what is 'aspergers' and why call it 'autism' if 'autism is autism' so why call me 'autisic', do I call you 'human' instead of 'your name'? Would be the chain of thought.

  5. #35
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by agentfurrina View Post
    my nephew has really poor impulse control. we never know how he's going to react to emotional situations: shut down entirely, fly into a violent rage, or start laughing. it's fascinating and also scary at times. he's generally docile as a lamb around his gf, though.
    My niece had a problem with screaming randomly in public places, yelling for hours at odd hours, banging her head, and doing the self-soothing hypnotic rocking thing, but she's improved tremendously with therapy.

    She loves cats.

  6. #36
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Asperger's is actually a fading diagnosis, FWIW. TEACCH, the research body who diagnosed my son, told me when they gave us his diagnosis that they are no longer giving children diagnoses of Asperger's- one, because it's going to disappear from the DSM-V when it's released, and two, because kids in the US need a diagnosis of autism to be eligible for services in school.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  7. #37
    Senior Member Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    609

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    idiosyncratic speech patterns.
    In simple words please...

    And you speak of emotional control.. i assume you mean when they are young..

  8. #38
    Member eternal recurrence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Posts
    46

    Default

    !
    I think general popular understanding of autism and aspergers seems very basic.
    That movie for instance - I know a few people with aspergers and have been involved with one romantically and it was not similar to the character from that movie at all.
    Autism is a spectrum - and i seems to be an Extremely complex one - so lets take a breath before we caution people not to have a child with someone with aspergers.
    Every individual case in this broad broad broad psychiatric classification seems different to me...

  9. #39
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eternal recurrence View Post
    !
    I think general popular understanding of autism and aspergers seems very basic.
    That movie for instance - I know a few people with aspergers and have been involved with one romantically and it was not similar to the character from that movie at all.
    Autism is a spectrum - and i seems to be an Extremely complex one - so lets take a breath before we caution people not to have a child with someone with aspergers.
    Every individual case in this broad broad broad psychiatric classification seems different to me...
    Very well said. You know what they say, when you've met one person with autism, you've met one person with autism.

    The spectrum is very complex. I have an issue, specifically, with the "high functioning/low functioning" thing. It's not that simple. My son talks, has always talked, met all his milestones up to about age 3, and is considered "high functioning." But he's still very inaccessible to us much of the time, just because he doesn't think in words so he can't always tell us what's going on inside. By way of a contrast, there's a young woman with autism named Carly Fleishman who is non-verbal, and was thought to be profoundly retarded until someone taught her how to use a keyboard. Turns out she's very much like a typical teenager in many ways on the inside- her grasp of language is beyond her years, though she still can't speak. So she's technically "low-functioning," but I can only hope to be as connected to my son when he's older as Carly's parents are able to be with her because of her assistive technology.

    http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Health/201...s-blog-101128/
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MatsNorway View Post
    And you speak of emotional control.. i assume you mean when they are young..
    No I don't. Some of these only would be strikingly apparent in children because adults have learned to compensate through trial and error or observation of other people. That wouldn't exclude those trials, errors and observations not being applied on occasion or out of context.

Similar Threads

  1. The PinkPiranha/LadyJaye appreciation thread
    By Giggly in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: 06-21-2009, 06:24 PM
  2. The booyalab/Edahn Appreciation thread
    By booyalab in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 10-21-2008, 04:53 PM
  3. The Nocapszy/Hmm Appreciation Thread.
    By Jack Flak in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 103
    Last Post: 10-20-2008, 07:45 PM
  4. The Tom Cruise Appreciation Thread
    By Jack Flak in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 10-17-2008, 08:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO