• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] The Asperger's Appreciation Thread!

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
I was amused one day. Myself and about 10 INTJs all took a generic aspie test. Guess who came out top?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Hey cool vid. Haha, it's really trying to romanticize them.

I was looking at the pic thread at the aspie forum wrongplanet.net months ago too, and the look is definitely consistent. Absence of emotion... introspective-looking... calm... wise, in some cases...

I saw some makeup on those female eyes tho... that's not aspie!

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
According to a few tests I've taken, it's likely I'm an Aspie, but I don't think I am (although it would be nice to be able to say I was). Wanting to take care of people who feel helpless and alone seems like it's definitely an NF thing, especially NFP. Fi has a tendency to bond with animals, small children and people with unusual communication styles like people with Asperger's while Ne has the ability to decern complicated communication patterns and see the hidden meaning in things. this is really the only thing that gives away that I am a feeler (my normal personality is SO not F haha). once my high school choir director screamed at this kid with asperger's until he started crying and I let her have it. if the entire school didn't here us, I would be very surprised. Psychotic choir director vs ENFP with violated ideals is a pretty vicious spectacle (make this INFP and you'll pretty much have Joan of Arc).

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I just want to say that while I have compassion for people with Asperger's, living with a parent who has it is devastating, debilitiating, just plain awful. If you want to pursue a relationship with someone with Asperger's, try to think hard about what kind of parent that person will be before you have children.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't think I know anyone with Asperger's. Many people on the forum took this Asperger's quiz, but I can't speak to its accuracy. About Aspie-neurotypical romance, there was that movie, Adam, on the topic. The movie seemed to broach the topic fairly realistically, just in my perception and from what a friend told me about an Aspie guy who was enamored of her once. Sorry, I am not contributing much to this discussion beyond a movie recommendation and a quiz link. But I do want to share with you the lovely score:
[YOUTUBE="yhf2bujxKsY"]Adam[/YOUTUBE]

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So how do you separate them from ADD/AD/HD people then?

I know a guy ho once without no reason imitated my nabour.. My nabour had a squeaky voice and the dude repeated it and laughed. The nabour got angry and yelled at him.

Only the "aspie" found it funny. Or so it seemed.. I don`t think he really did tho..

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I know a guy ho once without no reason imitated my nabour.. My nabour had a squeaky voice and the dude repeated it and laughed. The nabour got angry and yelled at him.

Only the "aspie" found it funny. Or so it seemed.. I don`t think he really did tho..

What is this question a response to?

Indeed, there is a lot of overlap between the outward presentations of Asperger's and ADHD, but the difference lies in the root diagnostic criteria.

Some sort of attention impairment is required for ADHD, but not for Asperger's.

Some sort of social delay is required for Asperger's, but not for ADHD.

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

InvisibleJim

Permabanned

Totally non-scientific definition:

ADHD people seem very interactive and seem to be easily bored. As a consequence they seek out interaction and some can seem socially aggressive. They tend to push against any measure which restrains these activities. More of your E than your I dichotomy.

ADD I dunno exactly what the difference is compared to ADHD.

Aspies are usually quiet but have restricted behaviours and interests such as very idiosyncratic speech patterns. In addition do not like the usual modes of social interaction and can be very avoidant of eye contact and emotional reciprocation. They tend to push back hard when they feel pushed upon but otherwise will be non-responsive. More of your I than your E dichotomy.

Both have low levels of emotional control; although for the Aspies it's supposed to be more reactive to outside influences than something that just happens spontaneously without warning; although it can be misunderstood if something is left on the back-burner, especially in children which are somewhat expected to act 'in the moment' rather than holding back.

I love this entry on Wikipedia because it has the description most people I have seen wave about trying to 'grasp' at what Ni does:

Some Random said:
Although individuals with Asperger syndrome acquire language skills without significant general delay and their speech typically lacks significant abnormalities, language acquisition and use is often atypical. Abnormalities include verbosity, abrupt transitions, literal interpretations and miscomprehension of nuance, use of metaphor meaningful only to the speaker, auditory perception deficits, unusually pedantic, formal or idiosyncratic speech, and oddities in loudness, pitch, intonation, prosody, and rhythm.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Thats all?

That's a lot.

I'm wondering why people with aspergers are very attached to the label "aspergers" since it's actually under the umbrella of autism. A lot of people with aspergers that I've met online (none IRL) seem to get offended if you say "autistic" instead of "aspergers," although it IS a form of autism. IMO, sometimes it can seem a bit elitist, like "oh I just have aspergers, the smart-guy kind of autism, I'm not like other people with autism."

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
As for personal data, my neice has asperger's syndrome, and the only thing I can say about romance is that we believe that she may have inherited it from her father, and he was a virgin until he was twenty-six, is extremely socially awkward in group situations (but is funny and smart one-on-one and clearly doesn't miss much) and completely lacks the sense of what to do in basic situations, for example, my mother got frustrated with him one time because he had to be told to help her and my sister get things out of the car, he doesn't have any social impulse (we would call it totally lacking Fe around here, maybe...) YET he's very good with his daughter, and with my sister's son, who isn't even his child.

My sister complains sometimes that she feels distant and rejected by him emotionally, but oddly enough he seems to love her devotedly to the point that he'd do anything for her, but I'm sure it's the vibe she gets...I've dealt with this before, I discussed this in a thread where I had a male friend whom I liked and I had a similar feeling of rejection by him, and was extremely surprised that he got tears in his eyes when I got upset and confronted him about it, and he reacted very extremely to the situation. I think my sister has to deal with this regularly, but he does seem to love her madly, and everyone in my family can see it.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
That's a lot.

I'm wondering why people with aspergers are very attached to the label "aspergers" since it's actually under the umbrella of autism. A lot of people with aspergers that I've met online (none IRL) seem to get offended if you say "autistic" instead of "aspergers," although it IS a form of autism. IMO, sometimes it can seem a bit elitist, like "oh I just have aspergers, the smart-guy kind of autism, I'm not like other people with autism."

See above for literal interpretations and miscomprehension of nuance. It would seem to be that asperger individuals are very very contextually sensitive. They like to have a very clear (internal) definition of what is 'aspergers' and why call it 'autism' if 'autism is autism' so why call me 'autisic', do I call you 'human' instead of 'your name'? Would be the chain of thought.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
my nephew has really poor impulse control. we never know how he's going to react to emotional situations: shut down entirely, fly into a violent rage, or start laughing. it's fascinating and also scary at times. he's generally docile as a lamb around his gf, though.

My niece had a problem with screaming randomly in public places, yelling for hours at odd hours, banging her head, and doing the self-soothing hypnotic rocking thing, but she's improved tremendously with therapy.

She loves cats. :heart:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Asperger's is actually a fading diagnosis, FWIW. TEACCH, the research body who diagnosed my son, told me when they gave us his diagnosis that they are no longer giving children diagnoses of Asperger's- one, because it's going to disappear from the DSM-V when it's released, and two, because kids in the US need a diagnosis of autism to be eligible for services in school.

eternal recurrence

MBTI Type
iNfj
!
I think general popular understanding of autism and aspergers seems very basic.
That movie for instance - I know a few people with aspergers and have been involved with one romantically and it was not similar to the character from that movie at all.
Autism is a spectrum - and i seems to be an Extremely complex one - so lets take a breath before we caution people not to have a child with someone with aspergers.
Every individual case in this broad broad broad psychiatric classification seems different to me...

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
!
I think general popular understanding of autism and aspergers seems very basic.
That movie for instance - I know a few people with aspergers and have been involved with one romantically and it was not similar to the character from that movie at all.
Autism is a spectrum - and i seems to be an Extremely complex one - so lets take a breath before we caution people not to have a child with someone with aspergers.
Every individual case in this broad broad broad psychiatric classification seems different to me...

Very well said. You know what they say, when you've met one person with autism, you've met one person with autism.

The spectrum is very complex. I have an issue, specifically, with the "high functioning/low functioning" thing. It's not that simple. My son talks, has always talked, met all his milestones up to about age 3, and is considered "high functioning." But he's still very inaccessible to us much of the time, just because he doesn't think in words so he can't always tell us what's going on inside. By way of a contrast, there's a young woman with autism named Carly Fleishman who is non-verbal, and was thought to be profoundly retarded until someone taught her how to use a keyboard. Turns out she's very much like a typical teenager in many ways on the inside- her grasp of language is beyond her years, though she still can't speak. So she's technically "low-functioning," but I can only hope to be as connected to my son when he's older as Carly's parents are able to be with her because of her assistive technology.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Health/20101126/carlys-blog-101128/

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
And you speak of emotional control.. i assume you mean when they are young..

No I don't. Some of these only would be strikingly apparent in children because adults have learned to compensate through trial and error or observation of other people. That wouldn't exclude those trials, errors and observations not being applied on occasion or out of context.