User Tag List

Thread: okay, I hope it's not irreparably gauche but

Junior Member Array timeless woods's Avatar

Default okay, I hope it's not irreparably gauche but

How does your type affect how you handle your personal finances? What ways does it help? What ways does it not help?

For myself, I am very frugal. I love finding alternate uses for everyday objects and I really enjoying paying next to nothing for anything. I rarely shop retail as I enjoy the "hunt" for something that has not been mass-produced within the past ten years or so. My home is wonderfully eclectic and I have always enjoyed surrounding myself with things that seem small but have great symbolism for me. Almost everything in my home has a story. (I am trying to think of some existential reason for the dust-grizzlies under my desk though). I am far from the affluenza crowd.

However, when it comes to setting money aside for retirement: . Although I am future focused, I am future-reality challenged. And I work with the elderly and broke! What gives?

I am very curious to know how other folks feel their type affects what money means to them ...
    You cannot make yourself feel something you do not feel,
    but you can make yourself do right in spite of your feelings. - Pearl S. Buck

Yeah, I rarely spend my money on things that are not vital. I don't mind spending my money on other people though. Otherwise, I know I am not the best when it comes to keeping up with money, so I choose to simply refrain from spending it. I find more value in sentimental items than luxurious ones.

Enneagram 4w5 social

INFj None

Does your work have a 401K or something like that? I am a spender, but if we never see the money, I don't miss it, also, 'spending' the money into a savings sometimes works for me.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

ish red no longer *sad* Array nightning's Avatar

Money ought to be invested... unfortunately I think most NFs (myself included) aren't the most knowledgeable people around when it comes to finances...

Anyways, I'm a careful person when it comes to money. Rarely spend it on stuff I don't need. On the other hand, when I need something, I don't mind putting in the dough in order to get what I want. I'm not that great a bargain hunter... perhaps it's because I'm too impatient for that. Extra money is saved up or placed into RRSP... a little something for rainy days.

at the start of every year, i'll plan my budget, and how much i want to save. will set aside for daily expenditure, to give back to parents/grandma, and extraordinary expenses--such as holidays, birthday presents etcetc.

I also have a record of all my expenditure every day (more or less )

also invest like crazy; although it's high risk that i go for.

since i do have a larger term outlook, eg, by age xx, i wish to have xxx dollars in my account etcetc.

And usually (when i was working, just quit haha), i'll hold down more than one job at a time. One full time, and a couple of part time jobs.

Basically, it's balancing of income and outgo (love that term!) for me. If i find myself overspending--as happens sometimes --i'll try to make up for it by saving more the next months, or by trying to earn more, so that overall budget is not affected.

it's the dang P that always ruins it though. impulse buys at times. But i don't regret it though. what's the point of money if it can't make the ones around you happy.
    You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
    They called me the hyacinth girl.
    Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
    Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
    Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
    Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
    Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

--T.S Eliot, The Wasteland