• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs and poetry...

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I can't help listening to the lyrics. The songs I love best have lyrics I can identify with. I love words. I just don't have the patience for written or spoken poetry. With songs, the words have music to add to the emotion and give color. Lacking that, my main feeling about poetry is usually that I wish they would get to the dang point. Spit it out, already!
Except for this statement, "I just don't have the patience for written or spoken poetry", I totally agree with your sentiments!!! :yes:

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Well, it has been discovered that SPs hate poetry (NTs, including myself, have answered to that, too), so I've become inspired to make yet another inquiry for the NFs, which is pretty straightforward.

Do you like poetry?

I like to make fun of people using poetry. :D

Uber is like a bluejay...
Because his thoughts seem to fly amongst the clouds all day.
But that little bird shall soon fall prey...
to an especially evil INFJ.
Alas, Uber shall be struck from the heavens by mental decay...
once he is corrupted by a...BJ. :devil:

I never said it was good poetry. :D

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
So I'm guessing that the whole purpose of poetry is just to sound pretentious.
Hell no.

There are "real" poets, and there are pretentious pseudo-poets.

I value and respect the former, and vehemently reject and detest the latter.

*Check out Charles Bukowski, he is the furthest thing from being what most would consider a "poet" to be.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

It sure took you long enough! :harhar:

Atomic Fiend

Hmmm...do you give them BJs, too?

This is one of those things that will never die with time, isn't it?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Maybe if you're really good to your boss, you'll get 8 bucks an hour!

(By the way, do you work at BJ's Wholesale Club?)

No, I work for a Parking Authority office. We are more interested in sticking it to the other end of our customers. :devil:

Rohsiph

MBTI Type
lego
Lyrics are poems.

Lyricists are poets.

I think it's necessary to separate lyrics from poetry--traditionally, I've encountered the separation as "poetry" and "verse."

Poetry is more concerned with saying things in ways that the things have never been said before--its figurative language marries the concrete with the abstract.

Verse is more concerned with expressing messages primarily through sounds--less interested (but certainly not kept from) metaphor than with the music of its language, for example.

It's a fine distinction, to be sure . . . I'm still struggling deciding whether it's necessary or not; today I think it's necessary :)

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
I hate poetry as much as I hate that I love it

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
How much do you hate to love it?

..........I don't have a choice by how much I hate to love poetry. I am a vessel of Poetry. I try expressing my poetry but am rarely understood. I can be cheaply praised for being inspirational by those who seek not to read me as I am but to intrepret me as they see how it fits their vision yet justify how beautiful I am for being an elaborate expression that can be so different at any time they look at me move. I hate my poetry as I hate that I love trying to maintain the essence of it.

Poems are a reflection of Souls, interwoven by all the lines already wrote, all the lines still writing and all waiting to be written, of my soul and yours and all others.

Poetry reincarnates as we finish the last line in order to create a new one. Some poems remain the same, merely reinterpreted and misinterpreted, over and over again lacking new depth, the same perspective.

I hate the poetry of others as much as I hate that I love what I feel to be the deeper, potential of transcending essence within them existing between their lines. Their poetry is a form of self-destruction which sometimes finishes me of mine. Yet their poetry can become a form of self-manifestation which finishes the last line in order to create the next and the next.

Most times my poetry wants to be understood and some times it doesn't care to be understood and sometimes it can't discern between the two.

....perhaps I've cheapened myself by writing all that as I don't know if I'll be understood and I don't know that I was wanted to be understood or cared to be understood. Even all that nonsense is but a facet of my own imagination. If you shred my lines, I am shred only to you. So long as I don't try to shred myself for you or if I do tear the page up, if I can always piece the peaces of my soul then it was well worth being written and torn and pieced up to be writen once more until I finish the last line of my life.

How did you understand me?

B

ByMySword

Do you like poetry?

Not only do I love it, I write it! I've written poems since I was 13! And I've performed them since I was 6! From grades 1st to 5th, I won 1st place in our school's Prose and Poety Contest every year! I've also won writing contests and I've even had a few poems published! In fact, I just wrote one today based on a dream I had a few days ago. Its called Dream on the Beaches :D

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
Not only do I love it, I write it! I've written monologues, poems, and songs forever! I've won trophies for prose and poetry competitions and have even had a few poems published! In fact, I just wrote one today based on a dream I had a few days ago. Its called Dream on the Beaches:D

Ooooh! Wow. You must show me! Rarely do I know of people who write poetry or enjoy it. Even if I try to get them to, it's usually me showing everything I wrote in order to push them when my words aren't strong enough for their ears lol

And when they do....sometimes I regret making them do it! ......jk!

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Poetry doesn't have to rhyme.

And liking it is not a crime.

I slay me.

Thank you. If you these words resonate with you, you can buy my chapbook. Support local artists!

Seriously though, I didn't like most of the stuff they made us read in school for poetry. I didn't get 1/2 of it and the other 1/2 was boring. But there were some that I liked. Langston Hughes, e.e. cummings. For content later I liked Sylvia Plath. My favorite contemporary poets include..well other than performance artists Li Young-Li and Ishle Park, former poet laureate of Queens, NY.

I also write poetry. Because I am deep like that.

I am too deep for contractions. Except for when I give birth to my words.

OH SNAP!

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Ok, I have slightly mixed feelings about poetry. If you asked me in general if I like poetry I would say no. However, I think if I was exposed to some kind of poetry that was aimed towards something other than love and that was more positive I would like it. I hate trying to interpret classic poetry. I'm more of a straightforward kind of guy. If I have to work to try and understand what you are trying to say I am already discouraged from reading it. I remember one time I was convinced that I would like poetry if I just sat down and read some on my own (rather than it being assigned to me). I borrowed a Emily Dickinson book of poems from the library and read it front to back and honestly didn't find any of it impressive, though I have always had an appreciation for "Because I could not stop for Death". I'm not saying because I didn't like Emily Dickinson I gave up on all poetry, but I still have yet to be impressed by it.

The closest I've come to liking poetry would have to be the writings of Francesca Lia Block as well as the book Crank by Ellen Hopkins (Amazon.com: Crank: Books: Ellen Hopkins). The way she arranged her stanzas so that it was telling one story if you read it all together and two different ones if you read the columns individually was pretty awesome. Read the free excerpt on Amazon if you want to know what I'm talking about. It doesn't show any of the really good ones, but it still should give you an idea. Francesca Lia Block writes in such a way that it is like reading poetry in normal narrative format. It's just laced with figurative language of all types. She's probably my second favorite author (Virginia Woolf being the first). The Weetzie Bat series by Block always grab my attention on the first page, which is no easy feat.

But... as I said. In general I would say that I don't have an appreciation for poetry, and modern poetry is just so... emo. Nothing makes me cringe more than poetry written by teenagers.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
But... as I said. In general I would say that I don't have an appreciation for poetry, and modern poetry is just so... emo. Nothing makes me cringe more than poetry written by teenagers.

Eek, there is a lot of poetry written today by grown folks and young folks that cover the range from emo, sappy, bad, to stoic, lusty, metaphysical, narrative, etc.

Perhaps being in college you get exposed to a lot of angsty adolescent poetry, but there's definitely a lot more than that out there.