User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    lego

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Lyrics are poems.

Lyricists are poets.
    I think it's necessary to separate lyrics from poetry--traditionally, I've encountered the separation as "poetry" and "verse."

Poetry is more concerned with saying things in ways that the things have never been said before--its figurative language marries the concrete with the abstract.

Verse is more concerned with expressing messages primarily through sounds--less interested (but certainly not kept from) metaphor than with the music of its language, for example.

It's a fine distinction, to be sure . . . I'm still struggling deciding whether it's necessary or not; today I think it's necessary

MBTI
    INFP

Jive's Words of Wisdom
    A sure fire way to pick up a chick in a bar is to tell that you're a poet for a living.

MBTI
    Zzzz

I hate poetry as much as I hate that I love it

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by DeliriousDisposition View Post
    I hate poetry as much as I hate that I love it
    How much do you hate to love it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    Zzzz

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    How much do you hate to love it?
    ..........I don't have a choice by how much I hate to love poetry. I am a vessel of Poetry. I try expressing my poetry but am rarely understood. I can be cheaply praised for being inspirational by those who seek not to read me as I am but to intrepret me as they see how it fits their vision yet justify how beautiful I am for being an elaborate expression that can be so different at any time they look at me move. I hate my poetry as I hate that I love trying to maintain the essence of it.

Poems are a reflection of Souls, interwoven by all the lines already wrote, all the lines still writing and all waiting to be written, of my soul and yours and all others.

Poetry reincarnates as we finish the last line in order to create a new one. Some poems remain the same, merely reinterpreted and misinterpreted, over and over again lacking new depth, the same perspective.

I hate the poetry of others as much as I hate that I love what I feel to be the deeper, potential of transcending essence within them existing between their lines. Their poetry is a form of self-destruction which sometimes finishes me of mine. Yet their poetry can become a form of self-manifestation which finishes the last line in order to create the next and the next.

Most times my poetry wants to be understood and some times it doesn't care to be understood and sometimes it can't discern between the two.

....perhaps I've cheapened myself by writing all that as I don't know if I'll be understood and I don't know that I was wanted to be understood or cared to be understood. Even all that nonsense is but a facet of my own imagination. If you shred my lines, I am shred only to you. So long as I don't try to shred myself for you or if I do tear the page up, if I can always piece the peaces of my soul then it was well worth being written and torn and pieced up to be writen once more until I finish the last line of my life.

How did you understand me?

ByMySword

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Do you like poetry?
    Not only do I love it, I write it! I've written poems since I was 13! And I've performed them since I was 6! From grades 1st to 5th, I won 1st place in our school's Prose and Poety Contest every year! I've also won writing contests and I've even had a few poems published! In fact, I just wrote one today based on a dream I had a few days ago. Its called Dream on the Beaches

MBTI
    Zzzz

Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    Not only do I love it, I write it! I've written monologues, poems, and songs forever! I've won trophies for prose and poetry competitions and have even had a few poems published! In fact, I just wrote one today based on a dream I had a few days ago. Its called Dream on the Beaches
    Ooooh! Wow. You must show me! Rarely do I know of people who write poetry or enjoy it. Even if I try to get them to, it's usually me showing everything I wrote in order to push them when my words aren't strong enough for their ears lol

And when they do....sometimes I regret making them do it! ......jk!

MBTI
    GONE

Poetry doesn't have to rhyme.

And liking it is not a crime.

I slay me.

Thank you. If you these words resonate with you, you can buy my chapbook. Support local artists!

Seriously though, I didn't like most of the stuff they made us read in school for poetry. I didn't get 1/2 of it and the other 1/2 was boring. But there were some that I liked. Langston Hughes, e.e. cummings. For content later I liked Sylvia Plath. My favorite contemporary poets include..well other than performance artists Li Young-Li and Ishle Park, former poet laureate of Queens, NY.

I also write poetry. Because I am deep like that.

I am too deep for contractions. Except for when I give birth to my words.

OH SNAP!

MBTI
    INFJ

Ok, I have slightly mixed feelings about poetry. If you asked me in general if I like poetry I would say no. However, I think if I was exposed to some kind of poetry that was aimed towards something other than love and that was more positive I would like it. I hate trying to interpret classic poetry. I'm more of a straightforward kind of guy. If I have to work to try and understand what you are trying to say I am already discouraged from reading it. I remember one time I was convinced that I would like poetry if I just sat down and read some on my own (rather than it being assigned to me). I borrowed a Emily Dickinson book of poems from the library and read it front to back and honestly didn't find any of it impressive, though I have always had an appreciation for "Because I could not stop for Death". I'm not saying because I didn't like Emily Dickinson I gave up on all poetry, but I still have yet to be impressed by it.

The closest I've come to liking poetry would have to be the writings of Francesca Lia Block as well as the book Crank by Ellen Hopkins (Amazon.com: Crank: Books: Ellen Hopkins). The way she arranged her stanzas so that it was telling one story if you read it all together and two different ones if you read the columns individually was pretty awesome. Read the free excerpt on Amazon if you want to know what I'm talking about. It doesn't show any of the really good ones, but it still should give you an idea. Francesca Lia Block writes in such a way that it is like reading poetry in normal narrative format. It's just laced with figurative language of all types. She's probably my second favorite author (Virginia Woolf being the first). The Weetzie Bat series by Block always grab my attention on the first page, which is no easy feat.

But... as I said. In general I would say that I don't have an appreciation for poetry, and modern poetry is just so... emo. Nothing makes me cringe more than poetry written by teenagers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by wedekit View Post
    But... as I said. In general I would say that I don't have an appreciation for poetry, and modern poetry is just so... emo. Nothing makes me cringe more than poetry written by teenagers.
    Eek, there is a lot of poetry written today by grown folks and young folks that cover the range from emo, sappy, bad, to stoic, lusty, metaphysical, narrative, etc.

Perhaps being in college you get exposed to a lot of angsty adolescent poetry, but there's definitely a lot more than that out there.