• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Question for NFs...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In accordance of the question asked to the SPs, I'd like to know this truth about NFs. Do you consider yourself a philosopher or do you have philosophical viewpoints like so many descriptions say you do?

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I don't generally think of myself as a "philosopher", but certainly many of my thoughts are philosophical in nature. I've been described as a philosopher/philosophical many times, as well. So, in short, yes, I'm philosophical but I don't like that word.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I asked the NTs the same question. Hence, I put my response here.

OctaviaCaesar

MBTI Type
INFJ
I enjoy discussing philosophical topics because I feel very comfortable in the world of ideas. I love to categorize ideas, find patterns and systems, and think in general :D. I would not call myself a philosopher, because it would be pretentious...I am just little old me!

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
:huh:

Uber, have you read any of my threads?

Theory is one of my greatest values.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
i just have philosophical viewpoints. =)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:huh:

Uber, have you read any of my threads?

Theory is one of my greatest values.

Naturally, I'm just getting a perspective to see if it's really true.

I would suspect that the only truly philosophical type would be the INTP, because of his/her primary goal is to apply logic to speculative thinking of the unknowns of the outer world. And perhaps the INFP, who would probably be labeled as more religious, since they are also into speculative thinking, but their primary objective is to integrate it with their personal values.

An N dominant, however, would primarily be interested in the fanciful thinking, regardless if whether or not it's logical or valuable.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Naturally, I'm just getting a perspective to see if it's really true.

I would suspect that the only truly philosophical type would be the INTP, because of his/her primary goal is to apply logic to speculative thinking. And perhaps the INFP, who would probably be labeled as more religious, since they are also into speculative thinking, but their primary objective is to integrate it with their personal values.

An N dominant, however, would primarily be interested in the fanciful thinking, regardless if whether or not it's logical or valuable.

I would say any INXX type is potentially a philosopher.

But I will agree, that when it comes to true philosophy, in the sense of not becoming too emotionally invested in ideas, INXJs are limited because of their dominant intuition. I think INTJs tend to be dogmatics of reason and INFJs tend to be dogmatics of perception. In fact, every INFJ vs. INTJ debate eventually deteriorates into an argument of reason vs. perception.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would say any INXX type is potentially a philosopher.

But I will agree, that when it comes to true philosophy, in the sense of not becoming too emotionally invested in ideas, INXJs are limited because of their dominant intuition. I think INTJs tend to be dogmatics of reason and INFJs tend to be dogmatics of perception. In fact, every INFJ vs. INTJ debate eventually deteriorates into an argument of reason vs. perception.

With me, I tend to be about bouncing cool ideas in the air without considering either their logic or practicality. Like, for example, a cool idea I had for a roller coaster design or a cool idea for a movie scene. I tend not to care whether it's logical or practical. I'm more interested in the actual creative aspect.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I don't think I really am. Unless being interested in the best way to do things irl and why people do what they do, etc counts.

Alchemist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Both. I don't think it's pretentious to say you're something if you do whatever that something entails. Having ideas and rationalising is part of being human, so I'd dare say that everyone is a potential philosopher. In my case, it's just another component in my life and identity, and it doesn't define me as a whole- not even close.

What would make it pretentious is if you gave being a philosopher such meaning and pomp as to elevate yourself above the heads of others. Any pretentious person can do that with anything.

-A

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think I really am. Unless being interested in the best way to do things irl and why people do what they do, etc counts.

No, that's probably in Ni territory with Fe secondary, you have internal ideas that wish to be expressed but directed amongst people rather than systems. I suppose that since Ti is tertiary in your type, you become more interested in why people do things.

With the INTJ, I think, there is more an interest in telling people what to do based upon their values because of tertiary Fi. Secondary Te gives the INTJ the quiet control-freak tendency...with me, I tend to lead (or boss people around) in my mind because I never feel confident enough to actually do it the way an ExTJ would. On a good day, I have ideas in my mind, but I'm just too impatient with going through the details of realizing them.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
In a sense I do because I seek knowledge and truth for the sake of knowledge and truth. Plus I am capable of "global" (as in from many different perspectives) rational thought and use it to form my beliefs and values. I also use this kind of thought when counseling others with their problems, it (most of the time) helps them put things into perspective.

I get the honor of taking 6 required philosophy classes at the university I go to, too. If I wasn't exposed like I have been so far I think things would be a little different.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I'm philosophically-minded, and I probably come across to others as being kinda philosophical/serious/thoughtful. And for a few yrs in my early 20's I was *really* into philosophy and reading up on a lot of the philosophers and developing my own views.

I kinda agree w/ Kiddo, at least in terms of my own views:

Kiddo said:

I feel like I can 'understand' a lot of the various views, and I understand pure 'reason', but I tend to reject pure reason because I don't think it covers the full picture. Is it important and valid? Oh, certainly. But I don't view the world through a lens of pure reason. So I'm definitely one who leans more towards perception.

When I read about all of the philosophers, I remember I noting that the respective philosophies were tied to the philosophers' temperament. There were more pragmatic philosophies, extremely idealistic ones, very rational/logical ones....and I viewed all of them as pieces. Each philosopher was 'limited', in a sense, to how his own brain was wired to process and perceive the world, and this is a main reason for why I don't latch onto any ONE philosophy/view. All of us are limited to a degree.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
All of us are limited to a degree.

Perhaps you are just a dogmatic of perception. :D

You realize to dogmatics of reason (a good share of INTJs) you are anti-rational because you would even suggest such a thing.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Perhaps you are just a dogmatic of perception. :D

You realize to dogmatics of reason (a good share of INTJs) you are anti-rational because you would even suggest such a thing.

Touche. :smile: Sure, I concede this!!

But it's my very point. Everyone seems to be 'dogmatic' in one sense or another. Even the non-dogmatic's are dogmatic in their non-dogmatic-ed'ness. :)

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Touche. :smile: Sure, I concede this!!

But it's my very point. Everyone seems to be 'dogmatic' in one sense or another. Even the non-dogmatic's are dogmatic in their non-dogmatic-ed'ness. :)

:rofl1:

Those would be the Skeptics, and they are perhaps the most dogmatic, because they dare to question everything. How dare they assert that doubt is not to be doubted! :D

R

RDF

In accordance of the question asked to the SPs, I'd like to know this truth about NFs. Do you consider yourself a philosopher or do you have philosophical viewpoints like so many descriptions say you do?

No. In the past, I've enjoyed reading some overviews of philosophy and engaging in some light philosophizing of my own. IOW, I enjoy playing with it at the "pop philosophy" level. But when it gets down to reading the actual writings of philosophers like Spinoza or Descartes or Hegel, I lose interest pretty quickly.

I'm more interested in things like religion and psychology. They are more oriented toward personal and cultural experience (subjective views on the world and universe), and I do enjoy reading the source texts in those disciplines for the most part.