• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Question for NFs...

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
In accordance of the question asked to the SPs, I'd like to know this truth about NFs. Do you consider yourself a philosopher or do you have philosophical viewpoints like so many descriptions say you do?
I guess I consider myself to be more NF than any other temperament.

I was much more philosophical when I was younger. Philosophy just doesn't interest me like it used to. And my views aren't typical for most NFs. I'm not a liberal and I don't write poetry. :alttongue:

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
No. In the past, I've enjoyed reading some overviews of philosophy and engaging in some light philosophizing of my own. IOW, I enjoy playing with it at the "pop philosophy" level. But when it gets down to reading the actual writings of philosophers like Spinoza or Descartes or Hegel, I lose interest pretty quickly.

I'm more interested in things like religion and psychology. They are more oriented toward personal and cultural experience (subjective views on the world and universe), and I do enjoy reading the source texts in those disciplines for the most part.

I follow your thinking but one thing to consider is that religion and psychology are ruled by philosophies. Example: B. F. Skinner who shook the world of psychololgy and still affects all of us today in homes, schools and work places, created operant conditioning (positive/negative enforcements) based on his philosphical theory of Radical Behaviorism. A philosophy being applied in an area you're interested in might interest you.

redacted

Naturally, I'm just getting a perspective to see if it's really true.

I would suspect that the only truly philosophical type would be the INTP, because of his/her primary goal is to apply logic to speculative thinking of the unknowns of the outer world. And perhaps the INFP, who would probably be labeled as more religious, since they are also into speculative thinking, but their primary objective is to integrate it with their personal values.

An N dominant, however, would primarily be interested in the fanciful thinking, regardless if whether or not it's logical or valuable.

disagree.

i agree that Ti would be philosophical. but Fe basically has no affect on philosophy...unless you take the narrow view that "everyone should just get along" or something, which seems SFJ anyways.

i guess i'm not the typical NFJ, but i use Ti a lot. like, at least as much as any of the ExTPs i know. and i'd consider myself MORE into philosophy than anyone else i've ever met (except my INFP friend, but her philosophy isn't really aimed at objective truth anyways). the 2 INTPs i know (my dad and a friend) aren't close to as philosophical as i am. i think Ni plays a huge role in this. the most philosophical person would have to use both Ni and Ti in my opinion.

blah, that really wasn't my greatest post ever.

i guess i'm trying to say i'm EXTREMELY philosophical; too much so even.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
disagree.

i agree that Ti would be philosophical. but Fe basically has no affect on philosophy...unless you take the narrow view that "everyone should just get along" or something, which seems SFJ anyways.

Fe is the tool INFJs use in accordance with Ni to understand other people's point of view. INFJs use this ability to understand multiple perceptions of the same thing. Considering that INFJ philosophy is often based upon "perception" rather than "reason", I think that is strong evidence that Fe influences INFJ philosophy.

redacted

Fe is the tool INFJs use in accordance with Ni to understand other people's point of view. INFJs use this ability to understand multiple perceptions of the same thing. Considering that INFJ philosophy is often based upon "perception" rather than "reason", I think that is strong evidence that Fe influences INFJ philosophy.

multiple perceptions of the same thing is just Ni; it has nothing to do with Fe.

Fe aims Ni towards other people's perspectives, but philosophy shouldn't be aimed towards people, it should be aimed towards pure objectivity.

and my philosophy totally based on reason. i guess i should really have just used 'I' statements instead of applying this to all INFJs, though. i personally don't use Fe at all in my philosophy, because i think it just gets in the way of objectivity. i use Ni and Ti.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
No. In the past, I've enjoyed reading some overviews of philosophy and engaging in some light philosophizing of my own. IOW, I enjoy playing with it at the "pop philosophy" level. But when it gets down to reading the actual writings of philosophers like Spinoza or Descartes or Hegel, I lose interest pretty quickly.

I'm more interested in things like religion and psychology. They are more oriented toward personal and cultural experience (subjective views on the world and universe), and I do enjoy reading the source texts in those disciplines for the most part.

I agree completely. :D

I follow your thinking but one thing to consider is that religion and psychology are ruled by philosophies. Example: B. F. Skinner who shook the world of psychololgy and still affects all of us today in homes, schools and work places, created operant conditioning (positive/negative enforcements) based on his philosphical theory of Radical Behaviorism. A philosophy being applied in an area you're interested in might interest you.

Indeed it might, especially because I've never read anything about radical behaviorism, and the word "behavior" indicates that the theory will relate to how people (and perhaps other animals) behave.

The key here is that I'm only interested in an idea insofar as it enlightens me regarding people's behavior, perceptions, culture, etc. I suspect that's part of being dominated by feeling: my interest can scarcely be separated from people and how things impact people. Psychology and international affairs are two of my main interests.

I suspect Ti is one of the main, if not the main function geared toward and interested in philosophy. Te would seem to be geared more toward efficiency and organizing the outer world (making charts and schedules) whereas Ti would seem to be more concerned with refining ideas and creating very specific, sharp definitions of those ideas and terms. A person operating from Ti can be as obsessed with one idea as an Fi-dom can be obsessed with a value, and she can refine that idea or principle and refine it again until the end of eternity, or until she realizes that the principle is not productive to her life, not important, or she finds a principle more promising and interesting. In the same way, people operating from Fi can let go of values and stop refining them and basing decisions on them.

If Ti is the function most compatible with philosophy, then types with more Ti would be more prone to philosophizing.

INTP, ISTP, ENTP, ESTP, INFJ, ISFJ...

I'm sure there are a lot of complex factors that interplay to determine how interested someone is in philosophy, but essentially, those with Ti in their top four functions probably have a more philosophical bent than those who don't, regardless of introversion and extroversion, intuition and sensing, thinking and feeling, etc.

Anyone who is concerned with ideas is not necessarily philosophical, if we are defining philosophy as such:

philosophy: the critical study of the basic principles and concepts of a particular branch of knowledge, esp. with a view to improving or reconstituting them: the philosophy of science.

People operating from Fi are not so much concerned with principles or the truth of being as they are concerned with what they value and what they feel is true and good. Fi is not a function that one would use to logically redefine or build on a principle, but rather it is a function one would use to decide what is worth believing in, based on gut reactions and feelings (the subjective), not principles and facts (the objective).

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
First, and foremost, I am a philomath. Then secondly, and much to my chagrin, I do consider myself as being somewhat of a philosopher.

I respect truth.

I utilize the tools provided by my fluency in logic and my need for critical analysis to enhance a more accurate perception.

I seek to know what is, and perhaps more significantly, I seek to know why it is what it is.

So yeah, I am sorta a philosopher, though I'd rather be called and considered a philomathlete!!!

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
multiple perceptions of the same thing is just Ni; it has nothing to do with Fe.

You might want to look into processes theory. What I stated is exactly as it is theorized. Ni, Ne, Si, and Se by themselves can't do anything, they are utilized by other functions.

Fe aims Ni towards other people's perspectives, but philosophy shouldn't be aimed towards people, it should be aimed towards pure objectivity.

and my philosophy totally based on reason. i guess i should really have just used 'I' statements instead of applying this to all INFJs, though. i personally don't use Fe at all in my philosophy, because i think it just gets in the way of objectivity. i use Ni and Ti.

You might want to read into this thread.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/philosophy-spirituality/4038-nature-certainty.html

Here is a quote that I think encompasses Ni influenced by Fe...

There's just so much that we don't know and there are many things I'm not sure we can know that it seems kind of crazy to be certain your perception of things is absolute truth.

And here is a quote that encompasses Ni influenced by Te...

blueback said:
The limitations on our perception process, though they be many and varied, don't matter. Our conception of reality will simply be updated as errors are exposed.

R

RDF

I've looked into Skinner a bit. I was more interested in the actual results of his experiments than the philosophy he derived from it.

But I approve of the gist of your message. That is, I consider psychology, philosophy and religion (and even some other humanities disciplines like sociology, anthropology, and political science) to be related at a number of levels. So I feel obliged to at least be aware of philosophy at the popularized/overview level.

It's just a question of temperament (which I assume was at the core of Uberfuhrer's question in the OP). I increasingly lose interest in philosophy when it gets into the use of pure logic to derive universal principles. I don't question its validity; it's just that my own interest wanes. There's nothing there for my particular application of Fi/Ne to latch onto. [shrugs shoulders]

The key here is that I'm only interested in an idea insofar as it enlightens me regarding people's behavior, perceptions, culture, etc. I suspect that's part of being dominated by feeling: my interest can scarcely be separated from people and how things impact people. Psychology and international affairs are two of my main interests.

Yep!

heart

heart on fire
I was always more into Transcendentalism, Gnosticism and Psychology as far as searching for my answers about the meaning of life and forming my own values about that, which I guess could be also called a personal philosophy. A strong push for this came between 14-15 years of age and then another strong, overwhelming push for it around age 33.

In college I studied about the history of Philosophy and its effect on history than for its own sake, but reading more Philosophy now, finding many similar messages there in a different tone from the previously mentioned areas.

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
There is philosophy and there is philosophy.

This was spot-on:
Alchemist said:
Both. I don't think it's pretentious to say you're something if you do whatever that something entails. Having ideas and rationalising is part of being human, so I'd dare say that everyone is a potential philosopher. In my case, it's just another component in my life and identity, and it doesn't define me as a whole- not even close.

What would make it pretentious is if you gave being a philosopher such meaning and pomp as to elevate yourself above the heads of others. Any pretentious person can do that with anything.

redacted

Here is a quote that I think encompasses Ni influenced by Fe...

And here is a quote that encompasses Ni influenced by Te...

actually i don't see how Fe comes into play with the first quote. Fe is about social harmony/consensus, etc. what does that have to do with certainty?

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
actually i don't see how Fe comes into play with the first quote.

As I said before, INFJs tend to argue perception over reason and INTJs tend to argue reason over perception. The reason they do so is because INFJ's Ni is influenced by Fe which leads to an ability to understand multiple perceptions of the same thing. INTJ's Ni is influenced by Te, and so they try to establish standards of reasoning by which all other perceptions are limited.

Fe is about social harmony/consensus, etc.

"Ni - introverted iNtuiting
Foreseeing implications and likely effects without external data; realizing 'what will be'; conceptualizing new ways of seeing things; envisioning transformations; getting an image of profound meaning or far-reaching symbols."

"Fe - extraverted Feeling
Connecting; considering others and the group-organizing to meet their needs and honor their values and feelings; maintaining societal, organizational, or group values; adjusting and accommodating others; deciding if something is appropriate or acceptable to others."

"Te - extraverted Thinking
Ordering; organizing for efficiency; systematizing; applying logic; structuring; checking for consequences; monitoring for standards or specifications being met; setting boundaries, guidelines, and parameters; deciding if something is working or not."

Ni + Fe = Foreseeing connections. Conceptualizing new ways of adjusting and accommodating others. Translation: Understanding the perceptions of others.

Ni + Te = Foreseeing order. Conceptualizing new ways of setting boundaries guidelines, and parameters. Translation: Establish standards of reasoning.

what does that have to do with certainty?

That was in reply to your "I use reasoning" comment.

redacted

i still don't see how Fe would help with philosophy. unless maybe you're trying to get people to agree with you. but it wouldn't really help you get to the core of things...

when i'm thinking from a philosophical perspective, i try to throw out everything Fe does, because it has nothing to do with truth. i instead try to rely on Ti to build logical frameworks.

well, i guess maybe Fe would help me see the possible arguments against the claims i have so that i can adjust to them. but Ni/Fe can't really get that far. you have to use a thinking function...

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
well, i guess maybe Fe would help me see the possible arguments against the claims i have so that i can adjust to them. but Ni/Fe can't really get that far. you have to use a thinking function...

Dude! :shock:

You are an INTJ!

redacted

Dude! :shock:

You are an INTJ!

hahaha no way, not a chance. i wish i was though.

i'm just an INFJ with a heavy emphasis on Ti. really heavy. as much Ti as any ExTP i've met at least. Fe trumps it in social settings, though.

i like this forum because i don't have to see everyone's face and be so careful all the time. i can be my inner NT self (Ni+Ti).

the reason my Ti is so well developed is that my dad's an INTP and i had an extremely stressful childhood. i saw his coping mechanism of detaching and being super analytical and took that strategy as my own.

but i'm for sure an NFJ.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I definitely see how Fe would help a philosopher. Otherwise most of what you come up with will be considered only by your own point of view. Let's take Plato's Republic for example... It builds a society that would work for Plato, but not many others, which makes the possibilities of this "perfect" city happening slim to none.

redacted

I definitely see how Fe would help a philosopher. Otherwise most of what you come up with will be considered only by your own point of view. Let's take Plato's Republic for example... It builds a society that would work for Plato, but not many others, which makes the possibilities of this "perfect" city happening slim to none.

it would help you express your philosophy, and it would help you preemptively respond to arguments against what you're saying. i agree with that.

i guess that would help in the quest for truth, because you'd basically argue with yourself and refine your stance.

i concede the point :)

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
I'm more spiritual than philosophical. I've read a bit of existentialism, but philosophy definitely feels more T than F to me. Thus it makes sense that Logic courses are taught under the umbrella of the Philosophy department.