User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I don't think I really am. Unless being interested in the best way to do things irl and why people do what they do, etc counts.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFJ

Both. I don't think it's pretentious to say you're something if you do whatever that something entails. Having ideas and rationalising is part of being human, so I'd dare say that everyone is a potential philosopher. In my case, it's just another component in my life and identity, and it doesn't define me as a whole- not even close.

What would make it pretentious is if you gave being a philosopher such meaning and pomp as to elevate yourself above the heads of others. Any pretentious person can do that with anything.

-A
    "Je ne craignais pas de mourir
    Mais de mourir sans etre illumine."

"I was not afraid to die,
    But to die without being enlightened."

-Comte de Saint-Germain, La Tres Sainte-Trinisophie

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I don't think I really am. Unless being interested in the best way to do things irl and why people do what they do, etc counts.
    No, that's probably in Ni territory with Fe secondary, you have internal ideas that wish to be expressed but directed amongst people rather than systems. I suppose that since Ti is tertiary in your type, you become more interested in why people do things.

With the INTJ, I think, there is more an interest in telling people what to do based upon their values because of tertiary Fi. Secondary Te gives the INTJ the quiet control-freak tendency...with me, I tend to lead (or boss people around) in my mind because I never feel confident enough to actually do it the way an ExTJ would. On a good day, I have ideas in my mind, but I'm just too impatient with going through the details of realizing them.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Do you consider yourself a philosopher or do you have philosophical viewpoints like so many descriptions say you do?
    No.

MBTI
    INFJ

In a sense I do because I seek knowledge and truth for the sake of knowledge and truth. Plus I am capable of "global" (as in from many different perspectives) rational thought and use it to form my beliefs and values. I also use this kind of thought when counseling others with their problems, it (most of the time) helps them put things into perspective.

I get the honor of taking 6 required philosophy classes at the university I go to, too. If I wasn't exposed like I have been so far I think things would be a little different.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I think I'm philosophically-minded, and I probably come across to others as being kinda philosophical/serious/thoughtful. And for a few yrs in my early 20's I was *really* into philosophy and reading up on a lot of the philosophers and developing my own views.

I kinda agree w/ Kiddo, at least in terms of my own views:

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo
    But I will agree, that when it comes to true philosophy, in the sense of not becoming too emotionally invested in ideas, INXJs are limited because of their dominant intuition. I think INTJs tend to be dogmatics of reason and INFJs tend to be dogmatics of perception. In fact, every INFJ vs. INTJ debate eventually deteriorates into an argument of reason vs. perception.
    I feel like I can 'understand' a lot of the various views, and I understand pure 'reason', but I tend to reject pure reason because I don't think it covers the full picture. Is it important and valid? Oh, certainly. But I don't view the world through a lens of pure reason. So I'm definitely one who leans more towards perception.

When I read about all of the philosophers, I remember I noting that the respective philosophies were tied to the philosophers' temperament. There were more pragmatic philosophies, extremely idealistic ones, very rational/logical ones....and I viewed all of them as pieces. Each philosopher was 'limited', in a sense, to how his own brain was wired to process and perceive the world, and this is a main reason for why I don't latch onto any ONE philosophy/view. All of us are limited to a degree.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    All of us are limited to a degree.
    Perhaps you are just a dogmatic of perception.

You realize to dogmatics of reason (a good share of INTJs) you are anti-rational because you would even suggest such a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Perhaps you are just a dogmatic of perception.

You realize to dogmatics of reason (a good share of INTJs) you are anti-rational because you would even suggest such a thing.
    Touche. Sure, I concede this!!

But it's my very point. Everyone seems to be 'dogmatic' in one sense or another. Even the non-dogmatic's are dogmatic in their non-dogmatic-ed'ness. :-)
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    Touche. Sure, I concede this!!

But it's my very point. Everyone seems to be 'dogmatic' in one sense or another. Even the non-dogmatic's are dogmatic in their non-dogmatic-ed'ness. :-)

Those would be the Skeptics, and they are perhaps the most dogmatic, because they dare to question everything. How dare they assert that doubt is not to be doubted!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    In accordance of the question asked to the SPs, I'd like to know this truth about NFs. Do you consider yourself a philosopher or do you have philosophical viewpoints like so many descriptions say you do?
    No. In the past, I've enjoyed reading some overviews of philosophy and engaging in some light philosophizing of my own. IOW, I enjoy playing with it at the "pop philosophy" level. But when it gets down to reading the actual writings of philosophers like Spinoza or Descartes or Hegel, I lose interest pretty quickly.

I'm more interested in things like religion and psychology. They are more oriented toward personal and cultural experience (subjective views on the world and universe), and I do enjoy reading the source texts in those disciplines for the most part.