First 12

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by wedekit View Post
    When I am reading something I truly don't pay attention to every detail, I'm more concentrating on seeing how all of what I am reading fits together as a whole.

Exactly the same here.

I only remember things that interest me anyway. Which is why I dropped out at university. Way too much off-topic stuff. I wouldn't have passed all the different subjects anyway, not even in a million years. Instead I found my niche and turned it into my profession.
    I tend to skimread most texts. I don't read much books except for very specific non-fiction.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

The details... the terminology... the darn names and dates!

I'm in science... I found the following help me, perhaps you can adapt it for humanities...

How much time do you have to review stuff a week? If you have extra time... reorganize whatever notes you've taken in class/from textbook into a structure/theme that suits you. I found rewriting it out help get the info into my head.

If you don't have the time (or are lazy like I am ) do the following.

I typically read the textbook once before class. Make that at least a day before so that Ni can play with it for a little bit. While I'm reading, I pay some attention to the section titles as a way of figuring out the structure of the info. I also keep in the back of my mind how one section relates to the ones I've read before. Forget about the details unless something obvious pops up to you like "oh I think this part is important/ the prof will likely quiz me on it". Even then, I don't go memorizing the details... just a mental note to go back to it later. It's okay if I don't understand anything (although I suspect that's less likely in arts than sciences). As long as I've read it, Ni can play with it in the back of my mind.

In class, I do your normal note taking. Sometimes I pay attention to areas the prof seems to be emphasizing. Usually amidst that my mind wanders over to other stuff to see if I can link what's taught to what I already know.

Before exams, I reread the textbook once. Read my notes and "take notes from my notes"... then see if I can spill it out from memory. Missed something? Go back and try again. Finally I do the practice problem sets... etc.

Using Si I found is all about practice. As long as I tell myself I should remember this... and I flag the info properly in my mind it stays there for a month or so. For the details to last after that period of time though, I need to review it... half way through the month... then 2 months later... 4 months... etc.

I believe there is scientific evidence in that learning scheme. When you first learn something, it last for around 7 days before fading... You renew it by recalling the information and re-enforcing it by reviewing. But you have to get proper rest the night of recalling the info. That set of memory will last you around twice as long... then you need another refresher... so on. The longer that memory is retained, the more permanent it becomes.

MBTI
    Zzzz

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    . Using Si I found is all about practice. As long as I tell myself I should remember this... and I flag the info properly in my mind it stays there for a month or so. For the details to last after that period of time though, I need to review it... half way through the month... then 2 months later... 4 months... etc.

I believe there is scientific evidence in that learning scheme. When you first learn something, it last for around 7 days before fading... You renew it by recalling the information and re-enforcing it by reviewing. But you have to get proper rest the night of recalling the info. That set of memory will last you around twice as long... then you need another refresher... so on. The longer that memory is retained, the more permanent it becomes.
    Damn you! You said it much more eloquently than I did in relation to "theming it". I just said if it can relate to older info so you can 'connect-piece it" lol

I agree with all of what you said! Flexing Ni like it's playing a game gets me exicted (when intially I wasn't) so I manipulate myself into liking all that CHUNK of stuff.... I once memorised, surprisingly, my entire history book in gr.7 for a test....word for word, that I can recall, I'd repeat to classmates. But after a week, ALL GONE! I remember just wanting to have Photographic Memory but not sure if it was during that time or a bit later. I retain concepts/etc much better if I've already approached a similar one or there's a trick I've figured with another 'concept/etc'. I've always could remember PAGES of stories/poems/speeches that I had to say in front of others as I MADE myself know it all by heart (refusing a Prompter). I knew exactly the tone/pitch, enunciations I'd use, range and expressions on my face to movement + Eye Contact to not only my teacher but to my students. I never had people interrupt me. If it happened beforehand, I wouldn't speak until all Shut Up or I told them "Kindly Shut Up as I fully listened to you. It's my turn.....Thank you!---"

BUT I would ALWAYS make sure that about 2-3 people went before me so I could gauge if my performance would be better. I always scored highest/higher range when it came to such things UNLESS I was too lazy to prepare beforehand (:horor or I BS-ed the 'project' (rarely) but still made it sound to the students I knew what I was saying. Some teachers were even fooled lolol During Shakesphere, I learned not only mine + group, but EVERYONE'S lines and went helping each group to improve + some used me to take an extra role (I won the Actor's Choice in the class, English ). I know it's b/c I loved it all and was dedicated to memorising it, but I'd forget every single word I memorised (w/ all other speeches/etc) within a few weeks.

I think that learning scheme might only apply to certain types (not MBTI) of people. My ISTP bestfriend is studying biological-chemistry and she doesn't need to study hard to retain ALL THAT INFO (ISTP 1st CP is Ti so...). But other things? Absolutely sucks at remembering other people's 'life stories' unless she was there. (Fi is their LAST CP!)

MBTI
    INFJ

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll definitely give them a test run. The problem with most of this guy's (Modern Challenges to Christianity) reading assignments is that they are old, old text written by people like Sir Francis Bacon and Copernicus. It is obviously a completely different type of English. One paragraph that took up half the page was ONE SENTENCE with randomly placed semicolons throughout. It's ridiculous, honestly. He tests us on the material before he even lectures on it, which is annoying because I'm basically screwed if I don't understand it within 48 hours, which also must be spent doing other work for my other classes.

It's really overwhelming. This class is part of the core curriculum at my school to, so I have to take it regardless. This guy's teaching method is appalling; I don't even know what point he is trying to make this course. He never made that clear for us. Maybe if I knew that I would be able to comprehend the material better.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    Zzzz

Quote Originally Posted by wedekit View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll definitely give them a test run. The problem with most of this guy's (Modern Challenges to Christianity) reading assignments is that they are old, old text written by people like Sir Francis Bacon and Copernicus. It is obviously a completely different type of English. One paragraph that took up half the page was ONE SENTENCE with randomly placed semicolons throughout. It's ridiculous, honestly. He tests us on the material before he even lectures on it, which is annoying because I'm basically screwed if I don't understand it within 48 hours, which also must be spent doing other work for my other classes.
    Yikes! Si in overdrive = :horor:

It's really overwhelming. This class is part of the core curriculum at my school to, so I have to take it regardless. This guy's teaching method is appalling; I don't even know what point he is trying to make this course. He never made that clear for us. Maybe if I knew that I would be able to comprehend the material better.
    Grrr I hate it when there isn't clearly stated directions with anything or the syllabus is sloppy and only general mapped out! Can't prepare for the future classes/tutorials!

Never mind....not having a proff who can be direct or speak clearly on what THEY want....

RDF

In college, I liked to read fast and gulp down lots of material at once so I could see the development of the ideas quickly. (Probably my Ne preference.) So I did kind of a half-reading/half-skimming on the first run-through. That way the homework went quickly.

During that first reading/skimming, when I ran across "factoids" (names, dates, specifics), I just underlined them or highlighted them and otherwise paid no attention to them. Also, I might take 10 minutes at the end of the reading to quickly write up an outline of the reading so I could capture the big concepts being covered or see at a glance the development of the argument.

Subsequently, the morning of the test, I went through and reviewed my outline of the main ideas and then re-read just the underlined/highlighted factoids. That way I could cram my short-term memory with the factoids for the test. Going through the outline and factoids like that represented a good refresher, and I could usually retain the factoids just long enough to vomit them up for the test. (They disappeared from my memory a day later.)

The key is not to underline too much. If I was judicious in my underlining, the review/cramming of factoids didn't take more than 10 minutes and it could be done on the bus on the way to the class. With practice and exposure to the professor and the material, I could usually predict to some extent which factoids deserved underlining/cramming and which ones didn't.

In the end, I got it down to a pretty good system. Skim through the material fast and checkmark/highlight some material for later memorizing, then read the checkmarked/highlighted material on the way to the test. That way I could gulp down lots of material fast and still test well.

[Edit:] If it looked like I would need to refer back to the factoids for later use, then I would just hang on to the marked-up texts as reference material. Even today, I never try to retain factoids. I just maintain a good library of reference books, glossaries, files in file cabinets, etc. to serve as storage and reference for details and factoids. Also, I mark up and dog-ear the texts and the reference books for easy access later--I turn them into working tools, rather than keeping them pristine.

My brain retains the big concepts; I let my file cabinets and reference books retain the factoids and details.
    Last edited by RDF; 02-20-2008 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Add a P.S.

MBTI
    ENFP

Man I wish I had a method for this... college would be SO MUCH EASIER.
    My reccomendations are these, though:
    Try to explain it OUT LOUD to someone or thin air-preferrably a person
    re-write the 'factiods' from your notes
    skim once, read once in that order
    ... Sorry your teacher is crazy...
    I want a love who knows that loving him is all I want to do

MBTI
    INFJ

Haha, yeah, I definitely have to read it out loud most of the time. Sometimes I even have to throw in an English accent just to understand the weird wording.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social