User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 35

Thread: NF professors

  1. #21
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    I think one of my professors was a really fussy, older INFJ. We did not get on well, believe it or not. She was very sensitive, easily moved by the pain of others, taught a class on the Holocaust, and was one of those Shakespeare-obsessed people. You'd think I would love her, but she was so persnickety and self-righteous and obsessed with grammar that I found her to be one of my least favorite English professors while in college.

    I had another prof who I think was either INFJ or INTJ who was younger and had this really cool, dry sense of humor. I loved her to death, but she may have been INTJ not INFJ. She was extremely....unexpressive, like she was so good at being dead-pan, that I'm inclined to lean INTJ.

    For me, personally, I think academia is not a place I want to be. I'm even afraid to go to grad school as a student because I've heard about so many people becoming depressed and despondent there, not to mention that I find the pretentiousness of academia annoying.

    On the other hand, at one point I did imagine I wanted to be a professor because it seems to provide more creative control than being a public school teacher.

  2. #22
    Kultainen Kuningas Devil Flamingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    LOL
    Posts
    149

    Default

    I've considered it, and I'm still considering it, in fact. I'm not sure yet if it's something I simply wanna do at some point in my life, or if it's something I definitely want to do as a career. Either way, I'd be teaching Spanish (my first lang, hurr durr) and/or maybe a couple Linguistics courses, like Historical Linguistics, or Spanish Linguistics (i.e. a linguistics course in Spanish about Spanish). But we'll see, I guess; while I can see myself being a prof, and a pretty good one if I do say so myself, I want to try or consider other stuff first. I like to keep my options open. :3
    4w3 sx/so ·· ISFP (?) ·· rcu|E|n
    gryffindor-ravenclaw ·· chaotic neutral
    leo sun ·· scorpius moon ·· earth dragon


    metsän ukko halliparta, metsän kultainen kuningas,
    ava nyt aittasi avara, luinen lukko lonkahuta!

  3. #23
    ..... Intricate Mystic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    599

    Default

    I'm planning to get a MFA degree in painting in the future, and then look for a more conservative college that would be interested in hiring me to teach traditional art techniques. The combination of speaking to the class as a whole, but then shifting to talking to students one-on-one during the class to help them in their approach to art-making is appealing to me as an introvert.

  4. #24
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,432

    Default

    My mom is a college professor. All her students love her. A couple of years ago she was walking down the hall and people went down on their knees and bowed to her. It was like the Dead Poet's Society or something

    Edit - to answer the OP, she's on the keyboard faculty at a state university music department.
    Last edited by EJCC; 01-18-2011 at 10:05 PM.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  5. #25
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I think one of my professors was a really fussy, older INFJ. We did not get on well, believe it or not. She was very sensitive, easily moved by the pain of others, taught a class on the Holocaust, and was one of those Shakespeare-obsessed people. You'd think I would love her, but she was so persnickety and self-righteous and obsessed with grammar that I found her to be one of my least favorite English professors while in college.

    I had another prof who I think was either INFJ or INTJ who was younger and had this really cool, dry sense of humor. I loved her to death, but she may have been INTJ not INFJ. She was extremely....unexpressive, like she was so good at being dead-pan, that I'm inclined to lean INTJ.

    For me, personally, I think academia is not a place I want to be. I'm even afraid to go to grad school as a student because I've heard about so many people becoming depressed and despondent there, not to mention that I find the pretentiousness of academia annoying.

    On the other hand, at one point I did imagine I wanted to be a professor because it seems to provide more creative control than being a public school teacher.
    I can relate to the whole INFJ thing. it would seem on the outside like ENFPs and INFJs would be like peanut butter and jelly, but oddly enough, it's often more like oil and water. INFJs are extremely emotionally delicate and sensitive and frequently perceive ENFPs (especially ENFP 4w3s like us) as self absorbed and vain (personally I don't see what's so bad about either of these lol). my dad is an INFJ and he is offended by pretty much anything I say that isn't completely goody 2 shoes, positive and agreeable. I mean, let's face it though, 4w3s (especially if they're ENFP) just aren't agreeable people (most agreeable people to me seem non authentic and unwilling to find the truth of things). he also hates my brutal self honesty the same way I hate his guilt tripping and wishy washy emotions. Don't get me wrong, I've met some wonderful INFJs who made great conversation and were some of the most intelligent people I've ever met, but other INFJs just make me want to myself.
    INTJs on the other hand I pretty much always like. every INTJ I've met was extremely open minded, witty, honest, and never was offended by anything (I love NTs for this reason. even other NFs get so pointlessly offended sometimes)

  6. #26
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I can relate to the whole INFJ thing. it would seem on the outside like ENFPs and INFJs would be like peanut butter and jelly, but oddly enough, it's often more like oil and water. INFJs are extremely emotionally delicate and sensitive and frequently perceive ENFPs (especially ENFP 4w3s like us) as self absorbed and vain (personally I don't see what's so bad about either of these lol). my dad is an INFJ and he is offended by pretty much anything I say that isn't completely goody 2 shoes, positive and agreeable. I mean, let's face it though, 4w3s (especially if they're ENFP) just aren't agreeable people (most agreeable people to me seem non authentic and unwilling to find the truth of things). he also hates my brutal self honesty the same way I hate his guilt tripping and wishy washy emotions.
    Yes, I think this pretty much sums it up! It's one of the reasons why I just don't think I could be INFJ even if I get that result occasionally on some tests. It just doesn't make sense - I'm too brutal and often am perceived as being offensive and self-absorbed by some FJs. Not all of them, of course.

    Don't get me wrong, I've met some wonderful INFJs who made great conversation and were some of the most intelligent people I've ever met, but other INFJs just make me want to myself.
    Same here! I really love some INFJs and even admire them, wish I had their self-restraint and social tact, but others I just want to run far, far away from ...screaming bloody murder.

    INTJs on the other hand I pretty much always like. every INTJ I've met was extremely open minded, witty, honest, and never was offended by anything (I love NTs for this reason. even other NFs get so pointlessly offended sometimes)
    Yes, I think INTJs are much more difficult to offend (mostly, but not always) and seem to be more taken aback by open displays of emo than anything else.

  7. #27
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    yeah. certain INFJ (two profs) have been confusing to me in the past because to me it seemed like there was a mismatch between the way they claimed to feel and the way they behaved. like, they would seem very strict and rigid (J), and really not interested in others (I), but claim to be warm and empathetic inside (NF). that comes off as deceitful to me - if you don't behave in an understanding or even genuinely interested way on the outside, then i have no reason to believe you're really as compassionate as you claim inside. so then their talk about other people in a compassionate way would just come off as fake and whiny. plus i really don't get Ti at all. and then on the opposite side of the coin, i'm sure they saw me as warm and fuzzy outside (E/Fi) but moralistic and unyielding inside (Fi), especially when debating with Te.

    fortunately thanks to an excellent INFJ professor and in discussing with INFJs on this forum, i understand this better and know all of these perceptions are just that - perceptions - but it makes a lot of sense in terms of the existence of tension.

  8. #28
    Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,460

    Default

    i feel like i can fall into this category as listed above. not everyone gets imagined from the inside out. i feel like Fi types don't do this either, but they have a more stable framework of personal values that is more grounded in registering emotions as truths. we register conceptualizations as truths and use those to identify with the context of others situations based on exterior things.

    also, e5s like me tend to miss a lot of social information. i feel like a jerk today, actually. i'm trying to monitor this shit better, but i keep missing the mark, and it's difficult not to feel too badly about it when i do. it's so much easier to avoid it, because it's easy to overlearn and the knowledge i have isn't really the issue (tho sometimes i can be just oblivious to basic social facts as well). it's more so that i'm kind of out of the moment and don't respond very fluidly in the moment when i am deeply immersed in my own mind, like i am sitting in the back row of a stadium and ican't quite see waht's going on on the field.

    i think it's also, in my case, being an sx/sp, i have a natural tendency to objectify others (into desired objects/contents). i think sx types in general have a tendency to do this and this is part of their selfishness. i think i annoyed an infp friend of mine the other day when we got breakfast with an intj friend of ours bc i started talking to the intj about something the infp obviously didn't care about and kept talking about it for a few minutes. i didn't even really notice until i was driving home and i was like, he seemed kind of off, wait, that might have been because of what i was doing!! i mean, there were parts of the conversation that i was simply out of bc i didn't know anything or have any interest/relevance, and while i usually don't really like that, i think i'm okay with it. so i don't know.

    i do care about people, but it is not as focused on an individual level for most people. some people i identify with strongly in some way and i care about them very much. others i care about them as an abstract idea of humanity. i feel like a systems analyst. i have a deep compassion for plight, for conflict, for issues of the self and all its remainders, for inner struggle, for tough decisions, huge overwhelming desires, for a specific sphere of life, sx intensified self-seeking issues, i guess. the enneagram has been really helpful for making more things not like me feel like my own, like i could identify, but i can't identify a lot of the time. i'd never be able to get anything done. i'd always be losing myself. and, as a e5, there's no way i can be an e2. that's not what i'm meant to do, i can't overidentify with the feelings of others (instead i underidentify). it provides usefulness when it becomes non-attachment (more fluidly circulating through feelings) rather than detachment (more avoidance, when it's just a pressure pushing us out of ourselves and what we know). i don't even have enough emotional self-awareness to know if others think i'm warm or cold. i think i am way more extreme than most people, and pretty reserved in general unless i am deeply passionate or thawed by honesty, sincerity, real expressiveness, very strong trust, and faith about the integrity and authenticity of the interaction. if not, i'm kind of stiff and formal in general (with regards to how i conduct myself). i wish it were easier to flow better and be more free.

  9. #29
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    yeah. certain INFJ (two profs) have been confusing to me in the past because to me it seemed like there was a mismatch between the way they claimed to feel and the way they behaved. like, they would seem very strict and rigid (J), and really not interested in others (I), but claim to be warm and empathetic inside (NF). that comes off as deceitful to me - if you don't behave in an understanding or even genuinely interested way on the outside, then i have no reason to believe you're really as compassionate as you claim inside. so then their talk about other people in a compassionate way would just come off as fake and whiny. plus i really don't get Ti at all. and then on the opposite side of the coin, i'm sure they saw me as warm and fuzzy outside (E/Fi) but moralistic and unyielding inside (Fi), especially when debating with Te.

    fortunately thanks to an excellent INFJ professor and in discussing with INFJs on this forum, i understand this better and know all of these perceptions are just that - perceptions - but it makes a lot of sense in terms of the existence of tension.
    I think my INFJ professor saw me as the devil.

    Other people in the class noticed it, too.

    My outspoken nature was not appreciated.

    She also was really mean about telling people in the class that their ideas weren't original enough or had been done before. It was like, "Wait. This is intermediate Expository Writing, and not everyone in this class is even an English major."

  10. #30
    Senior Member Neutralpov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    EnfJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    311

    Default

    I am doing research for my masters this semester (9 hours original research required for one) and it is not me. It is removed, no loving on people and just not my tea cup. Professors at the university are very pressured for newsworthy research at University of Texas. Constantly proving themselves and teaching is a background. I prefer the teaching so I would rather be a "practitioner" as they call us master's peeps who teach without going on to PhD.

    Edit: Marmie the cat eating ice cream made me lol pretty hard and the ice queem pun. That is my cup of tea- Cheeeesy pun.

Similar Threads

  1. Famous Living NFs
    By Economica in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 144
    Last Post: 08-04-2009, 02:33 PM
  2. [MBTItm] Meritorious NFs?
    By SolitaryWalker in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 07-07-2009, 10:44 PM
  3. [NF] Question for NFs.
    By SolitaryWalker in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 116
    Last Post: 02-09-2009, 01:24 AM
  4. [NF] What sort of topics are NF type topics?
    By Alienclock in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-23-2007, 09:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO