• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] What do you like about being ENFP?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've recently come to terms with the fact that I'm an ENFP. I'm much to choleric, assertive and wild to be INFP. :sad: It's not that I don't like ENFPs, I just like INFPs a lot more.
1) INFPs are rarer (INFP are about 1% of males, ENFPs about 3-4%)
2) being introverted is way more bad ass and classy
3) INFPs are so pure and innocent (NFPs can read people's vibes more easily than a childrens' book and with INFPs I always like what I see on the inside).
4) INFPs are so heroic and almost always seem like they are some kind of royal prince (the perfect example being The Little Prince)
I'm sure a lot of this has to do with being Enneagram 4w3. 4w3s tend to value all of the INFPs best qualities
5) I've always seen being motivated by people as extremely low value. Not to say that I am, but I see introverts as more likely to be completely self motivated.
*I'm sure many of these feeling can be explained by being 4w3 (INFPs embody almost everything 4w3s admire)

so what do you guys like about being ENFP? I need to here some good things about my personality.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I like that I am obnoxious, sneakily meddlesome, and oblivious. No but really it can be fun to be notorious.

On a more serious note, I have always been able to talk my way in and out of things (well almost always, I'm good with interviews and things) and I've actually adjusted quite well to all of the people I've known and situations I've been in.

Apparently INFPs aren't capable of convincing others of our delusional fabulousness, either.

I actually like being more open and unafraid to approach people if I want to, and I have no problem speaking up for myself or others. I like that I can be a "protector" (at least verbally) and that even though I'm incredibly sensitive, I'm also highly capable of emotional detachment.

I'm borderline I/E, too. Not to knock INFPs, but they can actually be kind of passive aggressive and whiny. You promoting them to hero status absolutely mystifies me, though I admit I do like some of them quite a lot and admire their tenacity in ethics...they're always thinking about ethics. In the right INFP, that is truly admirable. In the wrong INFP that's so annoying it inspires the temptation to pinch them.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm with you on adoring and looking up to INFPs. I was a wanna-be INFP for a long time :alttongue:

But being ENFP has its perks too. It's often said that INFPs are more gloom and doom and heavy on the Fi, whereas ENFPs are more lighthearted, optimistic and bouncy. Where the INFP inspires through writing books and by transporting people to *their* world, we're the opposite. Consider us little butterflies or even pixies, touching people out in the real world and giving them a little fairydust to brighten their existance. Lol, yes, I played the stereotype on purpose, but what I mean to say is...while INFPs have a vast, often perfect world, few ever get to see it. You'd need a key to that INFP's heart. ENFPs go around and pollinate reality with touches of inspiration, with digestible chunks of that world and engage people with it, adding a bit of brightness to their existence, if done properly. We will also fight for a cause that way, by inspiring people to help themselves and change reality for the better. And we're considered good mediators coz when we're not clouded by our own fears and desires, we can see the pov of all parties involved and somehow translate them so they understand each other better and come together. It's often said we translate the hardest things into the layman's language.

And while INFPs have that innocent warm glow to them, that ethereal classy feel, I've seen ENFP's described as a sensual, zany ball of energy, with a childlike zest for life that makes you smile. As for Disney characters, think Rapunzel, Ariel, Pocahontas (speaking of sensual ENFP Champions!). All ladies with an endless appetite for life ;)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
wow, other than the sensitive part, pretty much all of this stuff sounds like me :yes: especially the protector part. I was horrible at this skill as a child, but after a few years of practice, more developed Te and much higher self confidence, I can socially bitch slap the hell out of anyone who gangs up on an innocent victim. I also love to comfort people who feel lonely and afraid or emotionally upset (well assuming it's a legitimate problem. overly sensitive people are incredibly irritating). gotta agree on the INFPs being too passive though. no relationship can be healthy unless both parties can communicate their needs, listen to each other and figure out ways to get both parties needs met.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Hmmm, so ENFPs are Tinkerbells while INFPs are.... Wendys? :)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
hehe, i was about to say, your concerns sound totally 4w3, until you said it yourself!

elfboy, i like being an ENFP because we're sort of the "rainbows" of the MBTI, if that makes any sense. we don't really have that same aura of "separateness" that INFPs do because they do tend to keep to themselves, and maybe that makes it harder to see how we're very much individuals in our own right. but i've never met an ENFP who wasn't stunningly unique and upstanding in their own right.

and no offense at all to INFPs, i think you are awesome, but i'm gonna say some of the more negative aspects of the type here for comparison purposes.

1) INFPs are rarer (INFP are about 1% of males, ENFPs about 3-4%)
just because you are a less rare type (and bear in mind that 3-4% is still pretty darn rare, and also that those numbers may be skewed) - doesn't mean you are a less rare person individually! especially as an ENFP, it's all the different overlapping facets of yourself that make you so unique. ENFPs often encompass such wide ranges of being that no other type even comes close to. can you even picture individual ENFPs being very alike? not at all... we all have such different senses of style. and being an E, the world gets to see that more!

and like satine mentioned, that often gives us the ability to be excellent communicators even across huge divides. we can translate a complex scientific document into language for a 4 year old because we have such an ease of being, an ease of finding similarities, to be able to understand and communicate "universal meaning", if that makes sense.

2) being introverted is way more bad ass and classy

eh. depends. i think i'd say "badass" and "classy" totally describes both an ESTP and ENFJ i know well, and they're certainly not introverts by any means. but what they are, is self-confident and self-aware. on the other hand, i know introverts who are super awkward. my best friend in high school is almost definitely an INFP, and she's pretty awkward. i would not describe her - and no offense to her, because there are lots of other wonderful things about her, but - i would not describe her as either badass or classy. plus plenty of ENFPs really aren't all that socially extraverted - remember that extraversion in the MBTI is totally a cognitive descriptor. it just means you're primarily attuned to things outside yourself.

so if you're into the "strong and silent" image, go for it. being a protector and advocate certainly goes along with that... one of my good friends says that if you're on my bad side, you're screwed, cause you're never gonna win that argument... such is the intellectual gift of Ne-Fi-Te. you just have to choose your battles wisely...

3) INFPs are so pure and innocent (NFPs can read people's vibes more easily than a childrens' book and with INFPs I always like what I see on the inside).

but MBTI isn't a box, it's just a description of how your mind works... it doesn't make you not who you want to be; it just describes how you think. it's easy enough to keep yourself pure and innocent if you want to be, but... well, i'm not really convinced it's a good thing to be very innocent. better to be knowledgeable.

regardless, i think that there is a childlike purity to many ENFPs - a way of not being jaded, of taking the world as it is and accepting it as it comes, and seeing the best in it. it's like a sort of purity despite knowledge... it's untouchable. in truth, i find more of this sort of purity in ENFPs than INFPs, who tend to be a little "darker" and more easily fall into depression. i have read somewhere that ENFP was foundd in a certain study to be the type considered to have the best coping skills of all 16. i feel like that fits in here - it's all about attitude.

4) INFPs are so heroic and almost always seem like they are some kind of royal prince (the perfect example being The Little Prince)

same deal again - if you decide you want to live that way, there is nothing about ENFP that stops you. plus, like satine mentioned, think of pocohontas. i would certainly say she was badass and classy, and certainly heroic. and she was a princess. the attributes that made her like that were not removed from ENFP. her badassness and her class came from her devotion to her ideals - she was anchored strongly inside. she bore herself with confidence and dignity.

the only big difference between her and the little prince's personality was his greater focus on feelings and needing special individual relationships and her persistant drive to explore. but look at what it did for her - it helped her be more open and connected to the changing world. satine made so many good points, i'm citing her again :) -- but like she said, ENFPs tend to be more IN the world, bringing themselves to the world instead of having to have the world come to them. in a way, that open concern is very prince-like - at least the way a good royal should be - dignified, yes, but also aware of their world and open to it. pocohontas was so in tune with her world and so completely understood it that she was able to communicate its importance to outsiders. and what more is the purpose of a noble, if not to be a figurehead and a protector?

5) I've always seen being motivated by people as extremely low value. Not to say that I am, but I see introverts as more likely to be completely self motivated.

ah, yes. i struggle with this - i'm not very self-motivated. it's not for lack of want, but for lack of decisiveness. i kind of enjoy most things, so it's hard to decide what i really want most. anyway, what i've noticed that i do (and not consciously) - is to surround myself with people who motivate me to be a better person. i tend to gravitate towards people who are acheivers, who are impressive, who are well-respected, who have an impact on the world.

and then there's the flip side of this, which is that being introverted can mean being somewhat reality-removed. when you're very self-motivated, sometimes you fail to adapt to external standards. you hold yourself to your own standards too much, and you run the risk of feeling disappointed with yourself even when everyone else thinks you've done an awesome job. and who really wants to live like that?

outside of all that... we're varied, interesting, engaging, creative, caring, flexible, immediately see the big picture, are good in crises. we bring ourselves to the world and we try to make life better for people. we're firm in our ideals and that helps make a better world, but we're also adaptable to many situations and always up for an adventure. it's part of the downside of being like this that your life can sometimes feel like it's always about someone else, but if you're feeling down like that, just give yourself a good Fi boost - dress how you want, act how you want, do things you love, fight for your ideals. wear your favorite color, eat your favorite foods, study your favorite subject. focus on the things that define you and just enjoy being who you are.

still, possibly my favorite thing about ENFPs is that we make people see the best in themselves - have you ever noticed, how others tend to "light up" around us? i think there is something very special there :)

(incidentally - i have a lot to say about this subject because i have had so many of the same thoughts. lol)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hehe, i was about to say, your concerns sound totally 4w3, until you said it yourself!

elfboy, i like being an ENFP because we're sort of the "rainbows" of the MBTI, if that makes any sense. we don't really have that same aura of "separateness" that INFPs do because they do tend to keep to themselves, and maybe that makes it harder to see how we're very much individuals in our own right. but i've never met an ENFP who wasn't stunningly unique and upstanding in their own right.

and no offense at all to INFPs, i think you are awesome, but i'm gonna say some of the more negative aspects of the type here for comparison purposes.

just because you are a less rare type (and bear in mind that 3-4% is still pretty darn rare, and also that those numbers may be skewed) - doesn't mean you are a less rare person individually! especially as an ENFP, it's all the different overlapping facets of yourself that make you so unique. ENFPs often encompass such wide ranges of being that no other type even comes close to. can you even picture individual ENFPs being very alike? not at all... we all have such different senses of style. and being an E, the world gets to see that more!

and like satine mentioned, that often gives us the ability to be excellent communicators even across huge divides. we can translate a complex scientific document into language for a 4 year old because we have such an ease of being, an ease of finding similarities, to be able to understand and communicate "universal meaning", if that makes sense.

eh. depends. i think i'd say "badass" and "classy" totally describes both an ESTP and ENFJ i know well, and they're certainly not introverts by any means. but what they are, is self-confident and self-aware. on the other hand, i know introverts who are super awkward. my best friend in high school is almost definitely an INFP, and she's pretty awkward. i would not describe her - and no offense to her, because there are lots of other wonderful things about her, but - i would not describe her as either badass or classy. plus plenty of ENFPs really aren't all that socially extraverted - remember that extraversion in the MBTI is totally a cognitive descriptor. it just means you're primarily attuned to things outside yourself.

so if you're into the "strong and silent" image, go for it. being a protector and advocate certainly goes along with that... one of my good friends says that if you're on my bad side, you're screwed, cause you're never gonna win that argument... such is the intellectual gift of Ne-Fi-Te. you just have to choose your battles wisely...

but MBTI isn't a box, it's just a description of how your mind works... it doesn't make you not who you want to be; it just describes how you think. it's easy enough to keep yourself pure and innocent if you want to be, but... well, i'm not really convinced it's a good thing to be very innocent. better to be knowledgeable.

regardless, i think that there is a childlike purity to many ENFPs - a way of not being jaded, of taking the world as it is and accepting it as it comes, and seeing the best in it. it's like a sort of purity despite knowledge... it's untouchable. in truth, i find more of this sort of purity in ENFPs than INFPs, who tend to be a little "darker" and more easily fall into depression. i have read somewhere that ENFP was foundd in a certain study to be the type considered to have the best coping skills of all 16. i feel like that fits in here - it's all about attitude.

same deal again - if you decide you want to live that way, there is nothing about ENFP that stops you. plus, like satine mentioned, think of pocohontas. i would certainly say she was badass and classy, and certainly heroic. and she was a princess. the attributes that made her like that were not removed from ENFP. her badassness and her class came from her devotion to her ideals - she was anchored strongly inside. she bore herself with confidence and dignity.

the only big difference between her and the little prince's personality was his greater focus on feelings and needing special individual relationships and her persistant drive to explore. but look at what it did for her - it helped her be more open and connected to the changing world. satine made so many good points, i'm citing her again :) -- but like she said, ENFPs tend to be more IN the world, bringing themselves to the world instead of having to have the world come to them. in a way, that open concern is very prince-like - at least the way a good royal should be - dignified, yes, but also aware of their world and open to it. pocohontas was so in tune with her world and so completely understood it that she was able to communicate its importance to outsiders. and what more is the purpose of a noble, if not to be a figurehead and a protector?

ah, yes. i struggle with this - i'm not very self-motivated. it's not for lack of want, but for lack of decisiveness. i kind of enjoy most things, so it's hard to decide what i really want most. anyway, what i've noticed that i do (and not consciously) - is to surround myself with people who motivate me to be a better person. i tend to gravitate towards people who are acheivers, who are impressive, who are well-respected, who have an impact on the world.

and then there's the flip side of this, which is that being introverted can mean being somewhat reality-removed. when you're very self-motivated, sometimes you fail to adapt to external standards. you hold yourself to your own standards too much, and you run the risk of feeling disappointed with yourself even when everyone else thinks you've done an awesome job. and who really wants to live like that?

outside of all that... we're varied, interesting, engaging, creative, caring, flexible, immediately see the big picture, are good in crises. we bring ourselves to the world and we try to make life better for people. we're firm in our ideals and that helps make a better world, but we're also adaptable to many situations and always up for an adventure. it's part of the downside of being like this that your life can sometimes feel like it's always about someone else, but if you're feeling down like that, just give yourself a good Fi boost - dress how you want, act how you want, do things you love, fight for your ideals. wear your favorite color, eat your favorite foods, study your favorite subject. focus on the things that define you and just enjoy being who you are.

still, possibly my favorite thing about ENFPs is that we make people see the best in themselves - have you ever noticed, how others tend to "light up" around us? i think there is something very special there :)

(incidentally - i have a lot to say about this subject because i have had so many of the same thoughts. lol)

thanks for the info. it is true that unlike many other types, there is really not a stereotypical ENFP. I've met ENFPs who were like ENFJs, INFPs, ESFPs, ENTPs, ENTJs, INTJs and even ESTPs. even on the Enneagram, ENFPs are fairly common in all 9 types (probably type one the least)

it's funny you mention people "lighting up" around me because it's really more that I tend to make people take sides. it's sorta like with celebrities, they either love me or they hate me and it's usually hate.

similarly, I have noticed that I tend to attract crowds, but as much as this may sound like a great thing, it is greatly annoying because of the whole NF see into people's souls gig that happens automatically (you know you're a 4w3 when having tons of haters is something you brag about when lots of people admiring is something that annoys you lol). As you said, many ENFPs are not really socially extroverted and I definitely fall into this category. probably because I am 1) 4w3 (4 wants to be shut off and different from people while 3 is disgusted by all the unclassy stuff most people do) 2) SP/SX (I am not social subtype at all, the whole notion of group unity is even kinda scary) 3) strong Ne (not to sound pretentious, but most people's complete inability to make connections really makes me feel sorta hopeless about most people's intelligence) 4) strong Fi (introverted feeling is judgemental as hell sometimes if it feels any sort of mal intent or maliciousness) a

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Elfboy said:
most people's complete inability to make connections really makes me feel sorta hopeless about most people's intelligence

:laugh:

i figured out at some point early in college that the key to why i was doing so well on my essays was understanding and utilizing the basic principle that "everything is connected". it mystified me that others did not pick up on this, because it seemed so obvious to me. just connect everything.

now i understand that it was Ne, and that Ne has its distinct drawbacks as well as advantages. :yes:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
being an ENFP male is kinda strange sometimes. NF males tend to have similar interests to women and are often perpetually confused by other guys (if you've ever seen I Love You Man, I'm a lot like Paul Rudd's character in the beginning). with women, you don't have to worry about people constantly trying to compete with and one up you and women usually appreciate when people are direct and want to communicate. guys think you're weird if you like to talk and expect you to play all these ridiculous social games that are weird as hell (like, how is drinking beer, watching american football and screaming at the TV a good time. to me it's just plain weird lol). this is probably why the few male friends I have had have been extremely N. my best friend right now is an INTJ and we both love to pamper ourselves, go shopping and talk for hours.

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i agree with the comments posted by fellow ENFPs. you should embrace being an ENFP!

it's quite wonderful. after all, what isn't wonderful about being warm, happy, optimistic, inspiring, bubbly? i often feel so much love for most people, my heart wants to burst. it's absolutely childlike and innocent. i see the goodness in people. in fact, it's the first thing i identify.

ENFP passion is a force of nature. ENFP emotional depth combined with our native optimism is one of the most healing, inspiring things i have ever experienced. what Skylights said about lighting up a room is absolutely true. we have a lovely light from within that, when directed, can move mountains. corny as it sounds, we are the fireflies, mermaids and fairies of the world.

so mount that unicorn. take up thy wand. strap on that clamshell bra and go forth and, um, sprinkle your sugar.

you get the idea. :)

chocolatethundaa

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I LUUUUURRRVVVV my srsly deep emotional pool of emotioninessss its sxc and stuff. I also love dressing like a hotbiatch and being awesome. WHICH you totally are cause your ENFP and stuffz.:hifive:

PS. everyone on top of me wins at life and being awesome

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
How old are you elfboy? You strike me as someone in their teens still trying to find comfort in his own skin. To make it short, I like being an ENFP, because the traits that I have (barring being disorganised lol) are the traits that I want to have. As a child, I wanted to make people laugh, I wanted to be pretty smart, I wanted to be understanding about people, I wanted to be well rounded... you catch my drift. I am very comfortable being an ENFP. The question "What do you like about being an ENFP" is almost alien to me, because it's just who I am. Why wouldn't I like being me? I chose to be me! I think you're just getting a very serious case of a 4w3 wanting to be elite and different in their teens. I've been there too, but I've given up this perceptual need to be different or elite. Just be who you are and be comfortable with it. It gets rid off all the conflicts that you may have internally.

tayto

I'm with you on adoring and looking up to INFPs. I was a wanna-be INFP for a long time :alttongue:

But being ENFP has its perks too. It's often said that INFPs are more gloom and doom and heavy on the Fi, whereas ENFPs are more lighthearted, optimistic and bouncy. Where the INFP inspires through writing books and by transporting people to *their* world, we're the opposite. Consider us little butterflies or even pixies, touching people out in the real world and giving them a little fairydust to brighten their existance. Lol, yes, I played the stereotype on purpose, but what I mean to say is...while INFPs have a vast, often perfect world, few ever get to see it. You'd need a key to that INFP's heart. ENFPs go around and pollinate reality with touches of inspiration, with digestible chunks of that world and engage people with it, adding a bit of brightness to their existence, if done properly. We will also fight for a cause that way, by inspiring people to help themselves and change reality for the better. And we're considered good mediators coz when we're not clouded by our own fears and desires, we can see the pov of all parties involved and somehow translate them so they understand each other better and come together. It's often said we translate the hardest things into the layman's language.

And while INFPs have that innocent warm glow to them, that ethereal classy feel, I've seen ENFP's described as a sensual, zany ball of energy, with a childlike zest for life that makes you smile. As for Disney characters, think Rapunzel, Ariel, Pocahontas (speaking of sensual ENFP Champions!). All ladies with an endless appetite for life ;)

That's a good explanation. It shows the beauty of both types. No need to feel like one is better than the other.

tayto

:laugh:

i figured out at some point early in college that the key to why i was doing so well on my essays was understanding and utilizing the basic principle that "everything is connected". it mystified me that others did not pick up on this, because it seemed so obvious to me. just connect everything.

now i understand that it was Ne, and that Ne has its distinct drawbacks as well as advantages. :yes:

Ha ha ha There is an enfp description that says: ENFPs are both "idea"-people and "people"-people, who see everyone and everything as part of an often bizarre cosmic whole. ...

That always pissed me off that the author of that said " bizarre" cosmic whole. Fucking idiot. Of course it's all connected. Oh it makes me want to shake my angry fist. :solidarity:

tayto

One thing I like about being me is that I enjoy the thoughts I have. They entertain me. I look at my isfj mother sometimes and think what a drag it must be to have to have the kinds of thoughts she has.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Overall, I really like being me.

I enjoy my own company. :yes:

I love music, and find amazement, awe and appreciation in many things that other people don't or won't.

For example,

Right now, I am sipping on some coffee, listening to some tunes, painting my nails, and daydreaming.

good stuff!!

:wub:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxWjtWONuGc&NR=1"]:smoke:[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bZz8XZsGuU"]sex[/YOUTUBE]

Listening to these songs, for the past couple of weeks has given me great pleasure.

:yes:

Life is serious, serious business.

But, at least right now, I think I deserve a little downtime, and to appreciate the small things and not put the weight of the world on my crippled shoulders.

I've been socializing and dancing a lot, tis great for my soul.

:yes:

We, less bubbly ENFPs, need to relax sometimes, and turn our Fi nozzles down a few notches, and put forth our positive rays of energy into the universe.

Good begets good.

A happy disposition, and a genuine smile go a long way into making a day a better day.