User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default INFJs: Do you find working with people draining?

I noticed a lot of the career recommendations for us are people-oriented professions/working one-on-one with people. I've never had a job like that but just in general when coworkers chat with me a lot during work or interrupt often it's draining after a while,so I can only imagine that those recommended career choices would be draining after so long. When I'm left alone to work my energy is maintained/doesn't drop. What are your experiences?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by sharons View Post
    I noticed a lot of the career recommendations for us are people-oriented professions/working one-on-one with people. I've never had a job like that but just in general when coworkers chat with me a lot during work or interrupt often it's draining after a while,so I can only imagine that those recommended career choices would be draining after so long. When I'm left alone to work my energy is maintained/doesn't drop. What are your experiences?
    Me, too. I love to work alone!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

I'm a teacher. It is draining, but I would find solitary work without personal impact more draining. I do think I'd like working one-on-one better, though.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    Zzzz

I'd assume it's due to Fe which makes it appealing to work with people. OTOH, it eventually becomes straining if we aren't allowed to have space or to get our favourite process Ni its peace and quiet.

One on one is good because we can focus better and direct our energy better one way because too much (while interesting and fun) is eventually, as you said, draining. OTOH again, it's good to be in a (not so) populated place because it helps to further our observations on people and gets us 'out' more, probably. Builds confidence in our environments (Se) and similiar, assuming it's an enjoyable one.

As for 'chatting', I don't much like it if it's superfluous in nature. I don't care for gossip unless it's about people we know and then I get offended, ask it stop or not in my presence--- Even celebrity gossips uspets me b/c it's just taking advantage of sickened individuals and feeding into the machine-- Chatting is a distraction, I'd assume for INxJs, especially at work because there's no direction of it and we can't use it to our advantage or give analysis/observation or care too. Plus, if we're working, we're in our head mostly figuring things out and when someone interrupts it....bye bye thought! It's so easy for me to forget (or to recall) if someone interrupts me and won't shut up-- Chatting with family/friends is different and can be more appreciated, IMO. We wouldn't mind Fe-ing that! It'd be more about 'connection' at that point. But at work, where INFJs appreciate and prefer 'appropriate' behaviour, I'd think, we'd find it somewhat rude for people to not do their jobs and to just idle away chatting. I speak from experience there. It frustrates me when you want to do your job and people would rather slack off. I understand why and sympathise (at my work, though) but still...bothersome and more taxing for me.

So, yes, people are draining but within certain circumstances.

MBTI
    INFJ

I work at Lowes atm and its very draining, both physically and socially. At the end of the day I like to be alone for the rest of the evening

I'm currently in school with the hopes of becoming a Counseling Psychologist (one-on-one) after realizing that being an Elementary Teacher would just be too draining.

MBTI
    INFP

my mom is an infj... i think ur right she does seem to find ppl draining, in fact i think most introverts do and need their space from time to time. But my mom is fixed on pleasing ppl and having a respectable role in society, which is really important to her.. but sometimes I see a dark side emerged from all the work she puts into trying to make ppl comfortable.. must be frusterating and draining

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I worked a job for awhile that was mostly solitary and I found it draining. Working around a lot of people is also draining. Ideally, I think I'd work with people one on one for half to three quarters of my day and spend the other one quarter to one half working alone.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ

As I already said, I love to work alone. But I have also worked with one other person, and I liked that, too.
    I don't like having to interact with a lot of people. It drains me real fast.

I don't mind waiting on customers where you're only waiting on one at a time.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by persianeyes View Post
    my mom is an infj... i think ur right she does seem to find ppl draining, in fact i think most introverts do and need their space from time to time. But my mom is fixed on pleasing ppl and having a respectable role in society, which is really important to her.. but sometimes I see a dark side emerged from all the work she puts into trying to make ppl comfortable.. must be frusterating and draining
    I'm like your mother. And I agree with all introverts being the same way in that type of situation. Introverts need the time alone, it's like a cell phone running low...CHARGE ME! lol.
    I-83%
    N-68%
    F-68%
    J-68%

I agree, some social interaction can be enjoyable, but the more people to have to pay attention to, the more draining the interaction. Also with more distant relationships I am a lot more guarded, but at the same time feel I have to be more aware, which adds to the strain.