• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] INFJ dominated by ESTP????

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
An INTJ ? Dominated? :shock:

How does that fit in to your master plan? :D

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i guess you could say that. to me it feels like, in order to converse, i have to mine them for exactly the few nuggets of information they have that are of interest to me, otherwise i will DIE of boredom. they're not going to just throw something out that wows you or has significance to an nf, except by accident. i find i do this when conversing with most non-ns (sfps excluded). what good are my strange impressions and attitudes when they are in a foreign language to my sparring partner? not fun for either.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ive come to realize who and what I dominate. It's strange, in conversations I'm the leading person for ISFJ and INTj, and i'm neutral with a INTP. When it comes to my ESTP friend...:huh: ...it comes out like she's the dominant one...

Are ESTP's dominant people?

Yes! We are, but we're well intended, at least me and the ones I know. We are on a mission to operate on our environment for whatever purpose we are serving and to get things done. We talk fast, walk fast, are loud, use our hands when communicating, and generally keep things lively and fun. Interesting someone above noted we ESTPs can run off facts about God knows what, making it more difficult for others to "dominate" conversations with us. BUT, as was also stated above, if I'm not interested in a conversation I will not try and assert myself in it, I will listen until I am bored, and then I will poiltely leave.

Do you feel dominated by any specific type?

Nope! But I have the most fun haggling other extroverts, namely ESTPs or ENTPs. Nothing like a friendly mindscrewing between extroverted thinking perceivers, we think that sh*t is fun! :D (ESTP smile as YourLocalJesus stated)

P.S. YourLocalJesus, under your avatar it states your type as ENTJ. Have you changed in persoanlity a bit since setting up your profile? Just curious.

Cheers all!

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I love ESTPs. They do tend to dominate conversations (or take the lead, at the very least), but they seem to be energetic, refreshing and...well, just fun. ESTPs draw me out of my shell for periods of time, although I will often need a break from their company before too long. It seems like there's less drama with STPs than with SF types among my acquaintances. I don't connect with them on a really deep level, necessarily, but I definitely value what they bring to my life.

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
Depending on the situation, you can easily dominate over a ESTP. However do not step in their den, EVER. They'll grab you by the collor, they'll f'you and they'll f'you until you're grovelling on the floor screaming like a junkie having a agonizing OD, unless you're sure of your own superior knowledge and advantage. Only an EXTJ's can stand up to an ESTP, in argument interloping in their den.

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I DOMINATE YOU ALL.

No..but my submission is a sign of my fancy for you ;-) Really Strong Ts will do it..they make me go all eeyore "thanks for noticin" on you.

V

violaine

Ive come to realize who and what I dominate. It's strange, in conversations I'm the leading person for ISFJ and INTj, and i'm neutral with a INTP. When it comes to my ESTP friend...:huh: ...it comes out like she's the dominant one.

Are ESTP's dominant people?

My father is ESTP, he is extremely domineering in most every way. It is hard to get a word in edgewise with him sometimes. (I love that he is my Dad. I love the example of tenacity and toughness he set, along with a lot of his other qualities.)

Are INFJ's?

I don't have any desire to dominate someone else. That feels like being responsible for them to me.

Do you feel dominated by any specific type?

No. I definitely cannot stand to feel controlled for someone's own ends... if someone is too much or manipulative I will push back or remove myself from their presence.

I do feel hostage to my own emotions sometimes which can mean the focus of my attention can feel to me like they have a certain power over me. But if they don't treat me well I won't stay in that situation. I start to feel really rebellious inside if that ever happens and then I usually 'doorslam'.

Do you have a neutral (_ _ _ _) friend, that you talk to?

I usually find discussions with an INTP friend to be quite even handed without me trying too much or much drama.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I regularly converse with one ENFP and one ESTP, in a group. In conversation, the ESTP can never get a word in. The ENFP always brings up some psychological topic and we begin discussing that and get all excited while the ESTP is looking left out and confused. The ESTP will sometimes interject with a very unfunny joke and the ENFP will just stare at her blankly while I try to look away, embarrassed for her. Then the ENFP and I commence the discussion which is becoming increasingly bizarre by the minute. Finally, the ESTP either leaves or politely asks to change the topic, which eventually will switch over to something she can't keep up with. It's a very interesting dynamic.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I regularly converse with one ENFP and one ESTP, in a group. In conversation, the ESTP can never get a word in. The ENFP always brings up some psychological topic and we begin discussing that and get all excited while the ESTP is looking left out and confused. The ESTP will sometimes interject with a very unfunny joke and the ENFP will just stare at her blankly while I try to look away, embarassed for her. Then the ENFP and I commence the discussion which is becoming increasingly bizarre by the minute. Finally, the ESTP either leaves or politely asks to change the topic, which eventually will switch over to something she can't keep up with. It's a very interesting dynamic.

Are you sure she's ESTP? Could she be ISTP? Just curious. :D

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are you sure she's ESTP? Could she be ISTP? Just curious. :D

No, no chance. I don't consider ESTPs and ISTPs to be very similar.

I find ESTPs make lots of noise, but it's just that -- noise. They become easily intimidated when they feel they have no experience or expertise in an area. Oh, and they are afraid of authority. Let a higher-up enter into a situation and watch the ESTP turn into a mouse right before your eyes ;)

V

violaine

^Ooh wow that is soo not my Dad (ESTP). He thumbs his nose at authority and always has. Nothing seems to intimidate him.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No, no chance. I don't consider ESTPs and ISTPs to be very similar.

I find ESTPs make lots of noise, but it's just that -- noise. They become easily intimidated when they feel they have no experience or expertise in an area. Oh, and they are afraid of authority. Let a higher-up enter into a situation and watch the ESTP turn into a mouse right before your eyes ;)

Ha! You have met a totally different group of ESTPs than me! My dad is ESTP.

I am not going to retort to your comment as I know it was not directed at me, and I said earlier that not all of one type are expected to be the same, and I stick to that.

Me personally, I have alot to say and I don't say it unless it has worth and meaning. I am the one asking others to back up their statements more often than not. Also, I've done enough at this point in my life that I am pretty much conversant in whatever topic comes up, but will not blabber as your friends do if not the expert in the room. An ESTPs real strength is getting dropped into a room of strangers where he/she doesn't know anyone/anything that's going on and figuring it all out.

For instance, I worked for years as a software system analyst. I would arrive at a company that needed custom software built and knew nothing about it, or would need the new application to integrate with all their existing stuff. All of a sudden I'm surrounded by people who outrank me, or as you describe them "higher-ups", and you know what? They are confused and they need help, and they are very nice to me, because I pick up a mrker, go their whiteboard and start asking for the story of where we are, where we want to be, what we're starting with, how much money we can spend, and when we need to get there. And after a few days of conversations the puzzle is solved, their system is being developed, and the higher-ups love me.

I am very respectful and courteous, but I assure you, I back down from no one. I wrote a 5 page letter to my manager's boss about 4 years ago telling him how clusterf&*$ed the account was and that a disaster was about to ensue if he did not intervene and right the ship according to what the database administrator and I stated was necessary to do. You know what? Everyone thought I would get fired, and I didn't, I got respect.

So, Ms. Lauren, maybe your friends need ESTP lessons from me. :devil:

Mitzy

brat
MBTI Type
ENTP
the estp i know is a lot like halla too.
he also tries to dominate me but i think thats just a guy thing. obviously it doesnt work since everyone knows who really wears the pants.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

:)

Just kidding, I believe you are what you say you are. But realize that what NFs like to discuss is not usually what the ESTP wants to discuss nor is adept at discussing and this is the reason why the ESTP felts put in a corner. I'm sure if the topic were sports, how to take revenge, or how to lead others, it would be a different story.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
usually i am on the weaker or less pro active end of a conversation, or there is just no natural relation at all.

but i have discovered two types of people, who are different.

first there are people who feel enfj-ish but paranoid, and who can only superficially read people. are these esfj/enfj? or introverted people who pretend an extroverted style? anyway, they are butter to me, and they hate it. i can stop myself from crushing them (really i just say my opinion about something), because their pseudo-consciously weakest point in perception (they are in denial about that weakness but obviously bothered consciously - hence their paranoia) seems to be my strongest point. it should be my primary Ni and their secondary or tertiary Ni. they quickly make a lot of very friendly very superficial contacts. according to them, private depth should never be touched in social contacts. they like to see themselves as honorable family fathers with great moral judgment. it turns their world upside down, when i show them, how their judgment is based on a blindness that borderlines autism. this actor seems to be a perfect example. do you know his name?

then i have accoutered two instances of the following female species: she likes to listen to my thoughts, is endlessly curious about them, never seems to have a conflicting opinion, asks me about advice all the time, and makes me feel like king of wisdom. if she wants to suggest a viewpoint, she will formulate it as a question. she might do that to other types (males) as well, but not to everyone, for sure. she seems to be very similar to me, in how she cannot demand things in live, but differs in her outgoing curiosity or openly displayed need for people (extroversion?). gretchen mol or Kelly MacDonnald might be examples of this type.

naturally all of this depends on development as well. my first example is narcissist (meaning: not a self-aware personality yet), the second one a mild case of borderline (paranoid submissive suppressed). but it's still type related for sure.

unfortunately i avoid the human race. i have not had close interactions with all of the 16 types.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
Sorry to interrupt, but what does "dominate" mean?

I can't figure out what you guys are talking about.

Dominate, meaning, leading a conversation? Insulting the other person? Pushing them down? Besting them?

Intentionally?

*shrugs*

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Harrison ford or hulk hogan would surely try to dominate me. people like hulk dominate everything, without even looking at it.
or those nutcase headhunters they show on american tv. the wive of the guy with blond hair.

sensing pwns intuition, lol :rolleyes:

Dominate, meaning, leading a conversation? Insulting the other person? Pushing them down? Besting them?

there are different styles, but mostly its about projecting that you know what someone should or must do or what is right and wrong in a absolute and black and white fashion. if you do that, you will have to lead the conversation, because the other one does not participate in it any longer, voluntarily

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Halla74 wrote: NOISE

:)

Just kidding, I believe you are what you say you are. But realize that what NFs like to discuss is not usually what the ESTP wants to discuss nor is adept at discussing and this is the reason why the ESTP felts put in a corner. I'm sure if the topic were sports, how to take revenge, or how to lead others, it would be a different story.

You are funny as hell! Good for you! :cheese:

Your comment makes perfect sense if the ESTP is surrounded by NF conversation, its just not the natural mode of conversation so they are on the sidelines...BORED. :rofl1:

Sports, revenge, and leadership are our (ESTPs) default expertise then?! How lovely!

Finally, thanks for having faith in my honesty, that's actually very nice. I am an open book, and enjoy learning about others here. :D

mitzy wrote: the estp i know is a lot like halla too.
he also tries to dominate me but i think thats just a guy thing. obviously it doesnt work since everyone knows who really wears the pants.

Good for you! You tamed the bastard! That's a feat to be proud of! Ha! :devil: