• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] NFs and their outrageous opinions!

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
I was just curious to see if this is mostly an NF thing or if im just a complete ass. So what im wondering is, are all NFs as onpionated, self-confident, and just overtly stubborn as I am or is just an ENFP thing?

Being an ENFP im very big on standing by my principles and oponions, or atleast I thought it was just an ENFP thing. But ive recently come to the realisation after reading many threads about ENFPs and knowing a couple in real life that im overtly onpionated. To the point in which it seems im stubborn, when one of my values or oponions are attacked I refuse to back down. Alot of people I know in life tend to think of my as an asshole and I believe its because of my refusal to not only conform to their beliefs and ideas but completely refuse them. I stand by my decisions till then end, I would rather be wrong and know that I didnt defer in my ideas than conform just to be right.

I also tend to make decision, sometimes stupid ones due to my lack of being able to back down from my own values and principals. In school if I thought a teacher was wrong I told them right out. And if they began to argue with me they would usually just continue to repeat their point just in other words. And I wuold then point this out to them and ask them to elaborate on their thought not just regurgitate bullshit. Needless to say I saw the principal as much as my teachers. This is also a problem with my jobs, if I feel I am not being paid enough and my employer than tells me I have to also do this. Something that doesnt pertain to my job was so ever, then I tend to just either ignore them or tell them right out that I wont do it. I even lost jobs because of this, but in the end im happy know that I stood by my decision.

Is does sound stupid to most of you and im just a crazy stubborn asshole? Or are their others out there that can relate to what im saying?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
ENFP indeed do entertain outrageous opinions, and curiously the most outrageous ones are almost exclusively without an assertion of verifiable fact or theory. So they're not that outrageous afterall, just opinions. Like that..

They don't seem to like to make logical claims, as that's really not their preference, and applying logic has different consequences than what they like. It would be courteous to discuss the validity of a logical point in response to criticism, something they don't want to do. Discussing logic doesn't thrill them. They want to operate on the level of outrageous claims, as they can then use their forward-looking nature in the world of feelings and grand scenarios.

It's like ENTP's what-if brainstorming, but I guess there's a crucial difference. ENTP's brainstorming focuses on Ti, which maintains that everything thought should have some level of plausibility and internal consistency, and not too many intuitive leaps and bouts of imagination to ruin it.

Still, I do sense some kind of underlying logic behind most ENFP's sayings. It's just not expressed in a logical language. It's more like "The environmentalists are god damned mental cases" as opposed to "Their recent proposition would have us cut our rate of energy use by 10%."

If a bunch of people KNOW what they mean behind those statements, I guess they can have a meaningful discussion. I've found it too bothersome sometimes, if the other party refuses to tone down the expressions and to re-state the ideas in something that can be discussed logically. (If the subject is something that is worthy of logical discussion, in my opinion. If it's for entertainment and not for learning, then it's fun to disregard to logic in my opinion, too.)

I think the stubborness is just a result of ENFP not having the logical content of their ideas studied from all aspects. Instead, they have studied it from all emotional aspects, which are more subjective, and thus easier to maintain indefinetily against opposing arguments.

theshadow

MBTI Type
enfj
I was just curious to see if this is mostly an NF thing or if im just a complete ass. So what im wondering is, are all NFs as onpionated, self-confident, and just overtly stubborn as I am or is just an ENFP thing?

Being an ENFP im very big on standing by my principles and oponions, or atleast I thought it was just an ENFP thing. But ive recently come to the realisation after reading many threads about ENFPs and knowing a couple in real life that im overtly onpionated. To the point in which it seems im stubborn, when one of my values or oponions are attacked I refuse to back down. Alot of people I know in life tend to think of my as an asshole and I believe its because of my refusal to not only conform to their beliefs and ideas but completely refuse them. I stand by my decisions till then end, I would rather be wrong and know that I didnt defer in my ideas than conform just to be right.

I also tend to make decision, sometimes stupid ones due to my lack of being able to back down from my own values and principals. In school if I thought a teacher was wrong I told them right out. And if they began to argue with me they would usually just continue to repeat their point just in other words. And I wuold then point this out to them and ask them to elaborate on their thought not just regurgitate bullshit. Needless to say I saw the principal as much as my teachers. This is also a problem with my jobs, if I feel I am not being paid enough and my employer than tells me I have to also do this. Something that doesnt pertain to my job was so ever, then I tend to just either ignore them or tell them right out that I wont do it. I even lost jobs because of this, but in the end im happy know that I stood by my decision.

Is does sound stupid to most of you and im just a crazy stubborn asshole? Or are their others out there that can relate to what im saying?

ok asshole,

crazy........well your an enfp "enouph said"
stubborn, lets revert back to the fact that I already called you an asshole
asshole,.. stop questioning my beliefs..:steam:
JK:rofl1:

no way Im going to sit here and tell you I dont have opinions about things but my close enfp friend has a VERY idealistic nature. even compared to me.

ENFP indeed do entertain outrageous opinions, and curiously the most outrageous ones are almost exclusively without an assertion of verifiable fact or theory. So they're not that outrageous afterall, just opinions. Like that..
how enfp of you. I think Santu made some good points. I didnt feel compelled to copy the whole thing or go thru it so...... this is as much as I am going to do

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6

I'm opinonated only with few things and I'm stubborn only if somebody violates my right to choose (so always :D). So, what you describe might really be ENFP thing (or not, who knows).

I think you have right to have your own opinions! You have a right to be stubborn and you have a right to be self-confident. Don't let anybody define what you should think and how you should be. :yes:

CestMoi

MBTI Type
ENFP
I have strong opinions but they are only shared when prompted. Otherwise, I tend not to share my ideas too readily. Well, I say that but it's mostly true because I've been out of work for a few months. Since my cats don't talk back, I now see that I've been non-confrontational only due to having a limited audience. ROFL

So, yeah. I am opinionated and get defensive when someone tries to limit me. However, I am also prone to change my stance depending on the moon, temperature or which way the wind's blowing. :)

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
So, yeah. I am opinionated and get defensive when someone tries to limit me. However, I am also prone to change my stance depending on the moon, temperature or which way the wind's blowing. :)

:rofl1:

I totally recognize myself with the moon, temperature & wind blowing thing! :D

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
i have a lot of strong opinions but i usually don't vocalize them. The only time i will usually vocalize an opinion is if someone is trying to get me to compromise my values.

eyebyte

MBTI Type
INTj
My brother is an ENFP - he has his opinion like everyone else - but what stands out to me is that when you oppose him for too long - he will demonize you because you are now his enemy.

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
My brother is an ENFP - he has his opinion like everyone else - but what stands out to me is that when you oppose him for too long - he will demonize you because you are now his enemy.

Oh how true lol, if I cant beat them I just alienate them lmao.

Not sure if this is a good thing though.

Battle

MBTI Type
ENFP
I realize this is an old thread but i wanted to adress it and throw my thoughts on the topic out there.

I am extremly Opinionated... so much so that some people think I am a "know it all"
Which in reality i dont think is the case.. It just so happens that when i state things its actually fact.

I dont know everything, but i know a lot, and i know enough to comment if asked a question.

I usually get pissed when people call me a know it all, because Im a humble person deep down, but its kind of hard to be humble when you know what your talking about and someone is challenging you.

i guess it comes from us NF's being extremely confident people...i guess it can be perceived as conceit, but i dont see it that way.

or maybe we are just assholes.

:)

Atomic Fiend

You are assholes, but it's okay we're(INFs) insane mutes and angry recluses. See? Everything works out in the long run.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
You're just a complete ass.

I am not opinionated . I am not self-confident. And I am not stubborn.

Nope, I am none of these things.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm "opinionated" I suppose, but most people don't experience that side of me. I would never describe myself as self-confident.

Now, I don't really ever think I have been accused of having outrageous opinions. I consider myself to be a relatively objective person, and I would say everyone that knows me would agree. Don't get me wrong through, I have entertained pretty "outrageous" beliefs. Well, I consider them to be outrageous because other people's responses indicated that.

The best example that comes to mind is when we were all asked a hypothetical question: "If you were stranded on an island and you could choose between having only books or music, which would you choose?" Of course all of my friends answered music while I answered books. They all thought it was pretty weird that I liked books more than music. I told them (more out of defensiveness than actual belief) that I think music has been, is, and will always be inferior to books in every way except for music offers instant gratification, which is for unmotivated lazy people. Hahahaha. Let's just say we had a huge argument about it and I really boiled their water in the process, by calling music "cheap thrills", etc. Every now and then I like to play devil's advocate.

I will admit, though, that I do truly think that books are by far superior, and I do realize it is a very extreme opinion that is easily seen as subjective. I think what separates me (and, from what I understand, INFJs in general) from other NFs is that I realize this. I never try and make arguments based on solely values or beliefs, and I can be very hesitant to even share my values or beliefs with others when asked because I fear I could put a rift between us.

Now I would like to bring up that I have noticed other NFs that constantly verbalize their "outrageous opinions" on a daily basis, and it honestly bothers me how naive they can sound sometimes. I see this more in _NFP's.

Overall, I don't see anything wrong with having your own opinions, but I think some people should be careful about how much they verbalize them. Though you may truly feel that something is true, you're only doing yourself harm by trying to argue something you have no objective argument for. That's just the sad truth about how the "modern" world works. I do think that it is stupid that some people wont even consider ideas that have no palpable proof, especially when it comes to matters on people. Science is too impersonal to fully encompass the complexity of the human person outside of their biology, and I believe that NF's are all naturally attuned to picking up these things that science cannot. I'm not sure if any of these kinds of opinions about people would be considered "outrageous", though.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
My ENFP friend told me several months back that I'm highly opinionated, but one of the least judgmental people she knows. :laugh: I can totally be judgmental, but in all but extreme cases, my sense loyalty trumps my tendency to judge. I'm sort of clannish like that.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
*shrugs* I can be strongly opinionated on some issues... but people generally never hear me say a word.

Well looking at the responses so far, perhaps NFs are likely to be opinionated?

Although aren't most types opinionated? :thinking:

Look at all those "I'm always right" INTJs and ENTJs... then there's the INTP and their pet theories. What about those ISXJ and their conventions? Or the stubbornness of XSTPs of doing things their own way because they believe it's the most sensible way?

I dunno... I'm incline to say everybody is opinionated about some things... All type does is perhaps influence what kind of things they feel strongly about.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
From an INTP

These rarely fit so closely, but it certainly does in this instance:

"INTPs are relatively easy-going and amenable to most anything until their principles are violated, about which they may become outspoken and inflexible. They prefer to return, however, to a reserved albeit benign ambiance, not wishing to make spectacles of themselves."
INTP (Engineer) Personality Type (Jung / Myers-Briggs)

I'll choose silence over anything else 99% of the time, unless I'm impassioned to back the corner of something I care about. In this sense, I'd say I'm very practical. Prisoners will not be taken.

B

ByMySword

You're just a complete ass.

I am not opinionated . I am not self-confident. And I am not stubborn.

Nope, I am none of these things.

Well, I'm all of those things. But I'm also very open-minded. Kind of an oxymoron, but I am usually open to other's opinions.

And then when someone has one that I like, I just become opinionated about that one! :yes:

Edit: Glad your thread finally took off, Brother!!! Even if it is a few months late. :nice:

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Edit: I take it all back. But I stand by Kenny Rogers...Loggins, any Kenny actually.

It's one thing being judgemental, another thing being stubborn, and a third being argumentative.

All three at once, you are a party waiting to happen. ;)

Last edited:
B

ByMySword

"You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em,
Know when to walk away and know when to run."

p.s. You're country, you should know Kenny Loggins

Yeah, you're obviously not. That was Kenny ROGERS who sang "The Gambler".

Kenny Loggins is a rock star who sang "Highway to the Danger Zone", the theme song from the movie "Top Gun". He also sang other famous movie theme songs like "Footloose".

Come on CzeCze, get with the program. Read up on your pop culture history. :doh:

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
BMS, at least I didn't say, 'You Killed Kenny!"

Gimme some credit here. :)

And that's true, I'm totally not country!! Hahahaah, I had an ex who was country as hell (from the deep, deep South) and while I loved her family's cooking (she couldn't even eat her mom's chitlins but I ate so much her family made fun of her) nope, I'm not country. Hell, I'm not even country by my birth country's standards.

I do however like the 80s and am separated from Kevin Bacon by a scant 5 1/2 degrees, so my bad.