User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Default ENFP internal struggle with morality

I have a soul aching internal struggle going on between what I deeply believe to be the righteous way to live and the huge contrast in how most of society lives, including others around me that I love, and unfortunately myself. I feel like capitalist forces (or some kind of forces) have driven the overwhelming majority of the western world to prioritize money and things to a point of materialistic gluttony while others across the world are starving to death or dying from easily curable or preventable diseases. How can this be?

Of course, no one can be perfect but what I see is far from perfect and more to the side of evil. Whether it is ignorance or self willed- I believe it to be both- I just can't see myself continuing to be a part of this terrible society that supports the value system of mass consumption for no other reason than being told that ridiculous luxuries are necessities.

Many may argue that not all society is like this and I agree, thank god! However, I believe there to be little exception to the rule. I think pop culture such as magazines, tv shows and music imitate real society, otherwise it wouldn't be popular. Look how magazines tell woman to buy all these clothes, shoes and jewelry while others are freezing to death or have holes in their clothes in other parts of the world. Reality TV Shows make these values evident by illustrating how objects which are so trivial in nature and not truly necessary influence our lives. I don't even want to begin on the mainstream artists. I realize there is quality reading, screenings and music out there but if you look at the ratings and sales, that is not what most of society is buying or watching.

Sorry, I don't know how this got so long but basically my point is that I am very unhappy being a part of this system. I'm moving to a new part of the world in a few weeks to re-invent myself and hopefully do a 180 so that my actions will match my thoughts. I will breakfree and also be building my language skills in order have better prospects for a career in international development.

The problem- I'll have trouble sharing this new me with my friends and family. I tried while I was here but I feel they think I am insulting their way of life and values and possibly me thinking they're ignorant or selfish. Also, from the outside I appear as they do but on the inside I am someone else waiting to get out so I feel like a hypocrit. Mostly, I still want to fit in, but I won't be able to Sometime it makes me feel crazy I wish I couldn't see all the interconnectedness of the world.. too much N or maybe NF brings large feelings of duty but creates many sacrifices...
    *What scares me the most is that I will eventually revert back to routine and the ways of all who know me in order to be loved, to avoid confrontation or to save so many deep relationships I have built over time. This would also probably end up to me settling down like most other do and it would be with someone who doesn't share my radical thinking.. I'd be stuck with an empty soul..
    What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Where are you moving PeaceRobin? Share more about your plans ...
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Banned

Isn't this a matter of eventually being able to shift your external perspective and introverted judgemnet (Ne-Fi) to non-defensively engage with the surrounding situation using critical analysis and sensory information (Te-Si) to satisfy yourself that your normal internal definition is quite allowed by societal factors or to make slight but non-threatening modifications to allow that to occur?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i think, that if your deep relationships are worth holding onto, that those people will think about what you are doing and try to understand and empathize with your reasons for it.

it probably feels like rejection and insult off the bat to be told that someone is leaving a society you are a part of because it's immoral - but i think we all know that there is a huge and unfair disparity, and i think that your friends and family recognize this on some level (otherwise, there is little reason to be offended...). do you think the way you've been phrasing it could be part of the issue? i don't mean to insinuate that you should cover up the truth that society is messed up, cause i'm in total agreement with you there, but maybe, if you haven't already, you could try adjusting your wording to be less along the lines of "i am living a wrong life right now and need to change" to what you pretty much said here - "i feel a personal need to live in a different way".

and it will be fascinating for them to hear about your adventures. have you considered keeping a travel journal, like a video blog, written blog, twitter, etc? it would be a way to stay connected and to help your friends and family see that what you're doing isn't all that crazy you will build new relationships where you are going, too!

and maybe you will come back some day, but i don't think that's something to be afraid of. obviously your inner sense of morality is strong enough to make you upturn your life, and that sense is not going to weaken unless you want it to. if you do come back, it will be in a capacity of having been radically changed from your experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim
    Isn't this a matter of eventually being able to shift your external perspective and introverted judgemnet (Ne-Fi)
    i think switching to a Fe-ish perspective could be helpful too...

there is good work that can be done here... i've gotten to meet the leaders of some environmental NGOs who have a home base here because they can be more politically influential that way, but they're still fighting against the system. i think it's also okay to strike a balance... i agree that capitalism can be soul-sucking, but maybe it's also okay to balance your time between the world you know and the world you want to become a part of. better to help those at home understand what you're doing and to keep up ties with them so that they can move towards your direction too, than to cut off all ties and push those people farther away from change...

i love your picture, btw. am excited to hear about where you're moving

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Isn't this a matter of eventually being able to shift your external perspective and introverted judgemnet (Ne-Fi) to non-defensively engage with the surrounding situation using critical analysis and sensory information (Te-Si) to satisfy yourself that your normal internal definition is quite allowed by societal factors or to make slight but non-threatening modifications to allow that to occur?
    say again?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by 2XtremeENFP View Post
    say again?
    Te-Si will allow you to look at what is actually there in the sensory world and analyze it more logically without the interference of your Fi.

This is why development of tertiary and inferior functions should increase (ideally) with age so that, for example, NFs aren't walking through life in a total cloud of irrationality, and so that thinkers aren't "rationally detached" to the point of being cold-hearted, lonely, and unable to form satisfying relationships with others.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceRobin View Post
    I have a soul aching internal struggle going on between what I deeply believe to be the righteous way to live and the huge contrast in how most of society lives, including others around me that I love, and unfortunately myself. I feel like capitalist forces (or some kind of forces) have driven the overwhelming majority of the western world to prioritize money and things to a point of materialistic gluttony while others across the world are starving to death or dying from easily curable or preventable diseases. How can this be?
    Monkeysphere.

MBTI
    INTj

Although I agree with your criticism of consumerism, I think third world cultures are even more unenlightened and exploitative than the West. They simply lack the power at the moment.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

^^
    Truth.

While I do agree with the OP, and that the U.S. in particular seems to value profit even over health, education, and culture...it's true, part of why those people are suffering in third world countries is because of their governments, not necessarily because of first world consumerism.

I mean the real problem with Mexico is the Mexican government, for example. And instead of wanting to change their ways, they basically want us to take in all of the people they don't want. That attitude was made abundantly clear when the President of Mexico reprimanded the U.S. for making Mexican immigrants carry documentation at all times.

I still can't get over that shit. It's like, "Dude, you're their president. This is your fault. Quit yelling at us."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Offog View Post
    that is excellent.

i remember in an ethics class i took, when this question was raised: twenty people are hanging from one edge of the building; your dad from the other. you only have time to save one. which do you choose?

and yep, i chose my dad. monkeysphere ftw.

gotta say though, that little analysis, while brilliant, doesn't give many suggestions for how to confront the issue. typical cracked.