User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: INFJ or ENFP

Default INFJ or ENFP

does anyone know a sure-fire way to spot the difference between an enfp and an infj? an enfp in a bad mood can easily be more pedantic and introverted than an infj; and a downed infj can undoubtedly be more reckless and outgoing than an enfp would normally be.

thus, letters aside, anyone who has any golden clues on how to spot the difference in a heartbeat - or three?
    "It is only in folk tales, children's stories, and the journals of intellectual opinion that power is used wisely and well to destroy evil. The real world teaches very different lessons, and it takes willful and dedicated ignorance to fail to perceive them."

- Noam Chomsky

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Does the label say "Machine wash warm"?

MBTI
    INFJ

Umm... I would say that INFJs hold back from telling you a lot of information about themselves while all the ENFPs I know like to practice their bragging rights. ENFPs are more about getting up and having fun... INFJs are more likely to sit around and talk? Is that too much of a generalization?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

The thing is, I don't think that INFJs are particularly 'pedantic', nor are ENFPs 'reckless', so maybe that's your answer?

But let's see...

Any type can pretty successfully come off as another type temporarily, in the right circumstances, so the first thing I would do is try and observe your subject on more than one occasion. Bad moods/downers don't last that long, so as well as they might be camoflagued, their true self is gonna peek out sooner or later.

But specifically...

Firstly, they use opposite cognitive functions: ENFPs use Ne and Fi, INFJs use Ni and Fe.

Definitions are here.

For example, as attentive and engaged as an ENFP may be when speaking to you directly, they are quite bad at following up. Unless you're very close (and in constant contact), something like a christmas card is probably too much to expect. :P The Fe of the INFJ, on the other hand, is much better at following up and keeping a tab of all that - if it appears like you're close to them, then you are, and you'll know it.

Also a vital difference: if the person is subjected to a sudden, major and entirely spontaneous change-of-plans, an ENFP will rarely miss a beat, but an INFJ may be thrown out of whack and really struggle to catch up.

Does that help?
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by arcticangel02 View Post
    Also a vital difference: if the person is subjected to a sudden, major and entirely spontaneous change-of-plans, an ENFP will rarely miss a beat, but an INFJ may be thrown out of whack and really struggle to catch up.
    Yes, this is true, big-time. Another thing is ENFP's will show more facial expression. The ones I know tend to gesture with their arms a lot and get excited about things quickly. They are also very much more likely to strike up random conversations with strangers.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Griffi97 View Post
    Yes, this is true, big-time. Another thing is ENFP's will show more facial expression. The ones I know tend to gesture with their arms a lot and get excited about things quickly. They are also very much more likely to strike up random conversations with strangers.
    If those strangers speak the same language...

MBTI
    enfj

Quote Originally Posted by intuitiveadrenalinejunkie View Post
    does anyone know a sure-fire way to spot the difference between an enfp and an infj? an enfp in a bad mood can easily be more pedantic and introverted than an infj; and a downed infj can undoubtedly be more reckless and outgoing than an enfp would normally be.

thus, letters aside, anyone who has any golden clues on how to spot the difference in a heartbeat - or three?
    YES.... and now I have to figure out why. hmm I have a good a really good enfp freind, that at first I seriously thought was an enfj...... haha NO WAY.
    but enfp's are very good at playing "Not in any way negative" the situation. if you can sense Fi's intensity than thats about all you need to do.....

Ok how about this. assuming that you are an infj have you learned to recognize Ni in other people? enfp's dont do Ni, and definatly dont "get" Fe. they do often have a lot of experience dealing with them but... enfp's dont actually talk about themselves. btw, the one I know quite well will talk about things to try and connect to you but, actually getting her to talk about her feelings was kinda hard. also, the my enfp really just does not GET Fe. I have heard all kinds of things. my personal favorite is that I am in denial about my feelings which OBVIOUSLY makes since considering that I am a very expressive person........ hahaha

another thing. both can be VERY intense! but infj's are very much more "open" if you ask them there opinion, you are very likely to get Ni. enfp's are the same they just crawl with that gross Fi maybe I just say that since I am an enfj and Fe Ni is really close to Ni Fe......

(disclaimer I am good freinds with only one clear enfp so. take only what you find usuefull)

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

INFJ's have a harder time verbalizing their thoughts (in speech, but not necessarily in print). ENFP's can be oblivious to risky situations, but I don't think you'll find that in an INFJ.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

I find it easier hunting for Ni vs Ne. What approach does the person take in providing advice? The Ni dominant INFJ more often than not will start asking you questions to figure out what's going on. Whereas the Ne dominant ENFP will just jump right in with a general suggestion and move on from there.

ByMySword

I am an INFJ and I kind of have mixed feelings about how I act when I am upset. It really depends on the people around. With some people, like my closest friends, I like to get things off my chest. It gives us something to talk about. With others, I remain silent, but still give off an air of annoyance and discomfort.