• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] INFJ or ENFP

MBTI Type
INFJ
does anyone know a sure-fire way to spot the difference between an enfp and an infj? an enfp in a bad mood can easily be more pedantic and introverted than an infj; and a downed infj can undoubtedly be more reckless and outgoing than an enfp would normally be.

thus, letters aside, anyone who has any golden clues on how to spot the difference in a heartbeat - or three?

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Does the label say "Machine wash warm"?

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Umm... I would say that INFJs hold back from telling you a lot of information about themselves while all the ENFPs I know like to practice their bragging rights. ENFPs are more about getting up and having fun... INFJs are more likely to sit around and talk? Is that too much of a generalization?

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
The thing is, I don't think that INFJs are particularly 'pedantic', nor are ENFPs 'reckless', so maybe that's your answer? :D

But let's see...

Any type can pretty successfully come off as another type temporarily, in the right circumstances, so the first thing I would do is try and observe your subject on more than one occasion. Bad moods/downers don't last that long, so as well as they might be camoflagued, their true self is gonna peek out sooner or later.

But specifically...

Firstly, they use opposite cognitive functions: ENFPs use Ne and Fi, INFJs use Ni and Fe.

Definitions are here.

For example, as attentive and engaged as an ENFP may be when speaking to you directly, they are quite bad at following up. Unless you're very close (and in constant contact), something like a christmas card is probably too much to expect. :p The Fe of the INFJ, on the other hand, is much better at following up and keeping a tab of all that - if it appears like you're close to them, then you are, and you'll know it.

Also a vital difference: if the person is subjected to a sudden, major and entirely spontaneous change-of-plans, an ENFP will rarely miss a beat, but an INFJ may be thrown out of whack and really struggle to catch up.

Does that help?

Griffi97

MBTI Type
INFJ
Also a vital difference: if the person is subjected to a sudden, major and entirely spontaneous change-of-plans, an ENFP will rarely miss a beat, but an INFJ may be thrown out of whack and really struggle to catch up.

Yes, this is true, big-time. Another thing is ENFP's will show more facial expression. The ones I know tend to gesture with their arms a lot and get excited about things quickly. They are also very much more likely to strike up random conversations with strangers.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Yes, this is true, big-time. Another thing is ENFP's will show more facial expression. The ones I know tend to gesture with their arms a lot and get excited about things quickly. They are also very much more likely to strike up random conversations with strangers.
If those strangers speak the same language...

theshadow

MBTI Type
enfj
does anyone know a sure-fire way to spot the difference between an enfp and an infj? an enfp in a bad mood can easily be more pedantic and introverted than an infj; and a downed infj can undoubtedly be more reckless and outgoing than an enfp would normally be.

thus, letters aside, anyone who has any golden clues on how to spot the difference in a heartbeat - or three?

YES.... and now I have to figure out why. hmm I have a good a really good enfp freind, that at first I seriously thought was an enfj...... haha NO WAY.
but enfp's are very good at playing "Not in any way negative" the situation. if you can sense Fi's intensity than thats about all you need to do.....

Ok how about this. assuming that you are an infj have you learned to recognize Ni in other people? enfp's dont do Ni, and definatly dont "get" Fe. they do often have a lot of experience dealing with them but... enfp's dont actually talk about themselves. btw, the one I know quite well will talk about things to try and connect to you but, actually getting her to talk about her feelings was kinda hard. also, the my enfp really just does not GET Fe. I have heard all kinds of things. my personal favorite is that I am in denial about my feelings which OBVIOUSLY makes since considering that I am a very expressive person........ hahaha

another thing. both can be VERY intense! but infj's are very much more "open" if you ask them there opinion, you are very likely to get Ni. enfp's are the same they just crawl with that gross Fi :devil: maybe I just say that since I am an enfj and Fe Ni is really close to Ni Fe......

(disclaimer I am good freinds with only one clear enfp so. take only what you find usuefull)

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
INFJ's have a harder time verbalizing their thoughts (in speech, but not necessarily in print). ENFP's can be oblivious to risky situations, but I don't think you'll find that in an INFJ.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I find it easier hunting for Ni vs Ne. What approach does the person take in providing advice? The Ni dominant INFJ more often than not will start asking you questions to figure out what's going on. Whereas the Ne dominant ENFP will just jump right in with a general suggestion and move on from there.

B

ByMySword

I am an INFJ and I kind of have mixed feelings about how I act when I am upset. It really depends on the people around. With some people, like my closest friends, I like to get things off my chest. It gives us something to talk about. With others, I remain silent, but still give off an air of annoyance and discomfort.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
I find it easier hunting for Ni vs Ne. What approach does the person take in providing advice? The Ni dominant INFJ more often than not will start asking you questions to figure out what's going on. Whereas the Ne dominant ENFP will just jump right in with a general suggestion and move on from there.

Other way around actually. Read about interaction styles. I for one always ask to know as much about the situation as possible, and I don't tell people what to do unless there's imporant values at stake.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP

Why do you want to know?
Just so you know, you can never see type in a heartbeat. Sorry. But you can figure it out over time.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I for one always ask to know as much about the situation as possible, and I don't tell people what to do unless there's imporant values at stake.

Actually I do the exact same thing (except I'm not sure about the 'unless there's important values at stake' piece).

MBTI Type
INFJ
Why do you want to know?
Just so you know, you can never see type in a heartbeat. Sorry. But you can figure it out over time.

thanks for various feeback. you can see type in a heartbeat though - and it's fascinating! granted, some types are easier than others - but for example, some ISFP's i can spot just from looking at their face, especially female ISFPs... (not all female isfp's, but some...)

i dont intend to start a discussion on that though. :shock:

but as your comment earlier suggests, gabe, there seems to be a lot of confusion regarding types and their behavior. i guess i formulated myself rather poorly, with the "in a heartbeat" thing - what i basically meant, was what are the defining differences between ENFP and INFJ - given that they can appear to be quite similar in certain circumstances. also picking up on what i belive [toonia] said somewhere, there seems to be a lot of INFJ's out there - perhaps too many; that is, there's a lot of confusion regarding what actually constitutes an INFJ - perhaps many of them are in fact ISFJ or ENFP and so forth...

thus, a clearer picture of what constitutes an INFJ would be appreciated - and though i sometimes recognize my fellow aliens within three opening words, others can be more elusive... thus, "how to spot an INFJ - and especially what constitutes the difference to an ENFP, should have been my question - "

cause that's what i'd like to know! =) :party2:

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP

Both types ask a lot of questions. That simply comes from having dominant intuition. However Ni will tend to stay focused on one line of questioning while Ne will often jump from topic to topic and then back again.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Both types ask a lot of questions. That simply comes from having dominant intuition. However Ni will tend to stay focused on one line of questioning while Ne will often jump from topic to topic and then back again.

Hmmm interesting... perhaps I'm getting stuff confused again. Heh! Thank you.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Actually I do the exact same thing (except I'm not sure about the 'unless there's important values at stake' piece).

You should probably re-look-into your type, to be honest. It sounds pretty clear that you prefer informing.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
INFJ's have a harder time verbalizing their thoughts (in speech, but not necessarily in print). ENFP's can be oblivious to risky situations, but I don't think you'll find that in an INFJ.

DomNi does NOT mean that you never get caught off guard.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Well, besides the obvious (though not always) talkative nature of the ENFP, I find the perceptual acuity of INFJs to be the most immediate signifier of type disposition.

Not to suggest the ENFP is not equally capable of parsing layers of deceit; the INFJ simply tends to internalize external "pollution" and engineer malady into personal vendetta beyond what I've understood to be typical ENFP traction.

I've also noticed a curious ability to abstract logic beyond what most might presume; this surehandedness with both sentiment and reason makes the INFJ a profound mix.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
DomNi does NOT mean that you never get caught off guard.

Well I think that's a given for most INFJs... that nothing is absolute. Chances of being caught off guard is very small though. I think most of us are more likely to tend towards paranoia than anything else. :huh: