User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Fads

MBTI
    INFJ

Default Fads

I hate fads!! So much that I start hating the people who are so interested in them. (Exaggerating...kind of.)

I'm in high school, so fads are somewhat important in our culture. Something popular with us, AZ kids are the "emo" trend. Supposedly there was an original Emo-type out there, but I doubt that. Ive been called emo, because i'm quiet and have wild, dark hair like that, but I assure you I'm nowhere near it.

Anyways, I'm wondering if it's only me who hates the idea of fads. The whole following and, I-do-this-because-I-think-it's-cool thing. (when it's not you who thinks it's all that great but end up doing it anyway)

-NO TRENDS!!
    -NO FADS!!

Tell me what fads you went through and which one you hate!!!
    I-83%
    N-68%
    F-68%
    J-68%

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

I never really went through any fads..

I own an LG Prada, not an iPhone and drive a 4 door family sports sedan not a 2 door sports car.

People who do or buy stuff just because it's popular are usually wasting their time or money. I can't stand this whole "Apple" fad, and the commercials just make me laugh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.

MBTI
    infp

What I find amusing (I'm also in highschool) is the "non-conformist" fad of kids who try to be different all in kind of a similar way. I guess this is parallel to the so called "emo" trend in some ways, although their isn't much "emo" going on at my school. But yah, this idea of being an "individual" by acting/dressing a specific way ("artsy" most of the time) and taking pictures of yourself using the same unorthodox camera angle everyone else uses in the mirror so you can see the camera is fairly popular, and its kind of silly. Everyone is just as individual as anyone else no matter how hard you try, and I think its a waste of time to try and prove it. There is a fine line between this and expression though... expression comes as individually as people do, and some of this "trying to be individual" could be naturally expression, but I doubt it just because its too much of a trend type thing around here.

I also dislike the trend of scarves indoors. Its Canada, so yah, its cold outside, so wear a scarf, but wearing it indoors, or in a warm season (I've seen it) is kind of a silly trend I don't like. Its probably more that its a trend that bothers me than the trend itself

That said, I don't like trends, its a silly way to use your energy because it will change and it is ultimately insignificant to everyone, including you.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    I never really went through any fads..

I own an LG Prada, not an iPhone and drive a 4 door family sports sedan not a 2 door sports car.

People who do or buy stuff just because it's popular are usually wasting their time or money. I can't stand this whole "Apple" fad, and the commercials just make me laugh.
    Yah, the Apple fad is kind of irritating, too. Ever read Maddox' Best Page in the Universe? Prepare for a lot of profanity within a lot of humourous observations.

One thing PC users can do that Mac users can't...

That article is hilarious and true!

And this one about the iPhone:

The iPhone is a piece of shit, and so is your face.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

Individuality: Always remember that you are unique. Just like everybody else.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.

MBTI
    INFJ

In high school I had a secret desire to be part of the fad-infested "in crowd", but I never did because I knew it wasn't me and I would have just felt insecure. Now, I have a style of my own; whether it's good thing or bad thing doesn't matter. I like it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    Zzzz

Quote Originally Posted by chippinchunk View Post
    I'm in high school, so fads are somewhat important in our culture. Something popular with us, AZ kids are the "emo" trend. Supposedly there was an original Emo-type out there, but I doubt that. Ive been called emo, because i'm quiet and have wild, dark hair like that, but I assure you I'm nowhere near it.
    Good'ol highschool. Didn't buy into fads, didn't buy into people lol However, fads and trends are not unique to highschool. Still seem'em in university and everywhere else. No group is spared, except the individual (maybe...). It sucks when you truly want the item...but everyone wants it to....if we were super rich, no competition so....

Do we blame susecptible people or blame advertisers or blame the company behind doors? Hmmmmm Let's collectively create a new trend for emos and milk'em for what they're worth!!!!!

*low-threatening music keys*"Introducing, iDon't fit in...Dreary yet bold, blackened and expressive as the wild raveny tangles of hair covering your iron-deficient face....tangible proof that your existence means something to someone when you choose to prove it...and yes, of course, your bedside mirror counts ...because you don't fit in (*whispers* iDon't) and we don't fit in...so iDon't....so iDon't....want it." *fade out sound of blackness*

Price: $400.

After the emos claim it, fashionistas will want to own it and everyone else because the price might've went a little bit down, but we know that it really should've been priced at $110 to begin with. $_$

kekeke

*goes back to sleep*

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    What I find amusing (I'm also in highschool) is the "non-conformist" fad of kids who try to be different all in kind of a similar way.

Maybe it's the eye of the beholder who's seeing everyone in the same way.

After 28 years I've started to wear nothing but very, very conform & sober clothes, with no labels or brands or statements or anything. Cause apparently it's the only way to maintain your individuality without someone at every street corner pinning you down on something based on looks.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by chippinchunk View Post

Tell me what fads you went through and which one you hate!!!
    I haven't really gone through any fads. I don't even hate most fads, except for some of the ones that that can harm people, involve curse words, and rap music (most of it sounds like nails on a chalkboard). Clothes and hair fads don't really seem like a big deal, they just come and go.

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

I think everyone goes through this at some point. I did, at least, so did quite a few people I know.
    IMO the important thing is to recognize that fads don't really make the people following them -- that's just being predisposed. Dislike the fads all you want, but it's not a reason to dislike some people you know nothing about.
    Not really.