User Tag List

123 Last

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Default Desirability of Not Having an Opinion

I got into a heated discussion with a couple of NF friends. I knew they were both into self-improvement, buddhism and stuff like that, so I raised the issue of being opinionated and how it changes the way you perceive the world. My point was that everyone who has extreme opinions about anything is limiting their own perception, and I argued that this is not a special case, but that any opinion will limit the things you will be able to see around you.

One of my friends agreed, the other one disagreed. He thought that life would become meaningless and dull without opinions. We ended up arguing about this for some time, but I don't know if any good points were made anymore, as we got quite drunk at the same time.

Anyhow, what do you think about this? Is lack of opinions important for self-improvement? Do you think your type has anything to do with how you see this?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Indifference... yes, I have often talked about this as a subject inclined towards my liking. I believe I am striving of self-improvement at most times. And as such, indifference is one of those qualities I wish to continue improving myself upon. I do not adhere much to opinion but rather observe others as it may create a much wider span of understanding to continually see other's endless thoughts. Such is the wonder of lacking to give yourself an opinion. A practice I wish not to remove from that which I strive to be.

I'm not always one to argue, and I'm all about handling my own affairs rather than getting into people's business as a rule, but being non-opinionated is definitely not desirable. I don't hold that up as an ideal, or care to attain it anytime in the future. At times, it pisses me off if someone can't make a stand on some things. But of course, that's just my opinion.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    At times, it pisses me off if someone can't make a stand on some things.
    Yeah, that's one thing that I haven't figured out... If you have no opinions, does that mean that you are a total pushover? Everything I've read about Buddhist monks seems to contradict this. Maybe there is a difference between spontaneous opinion and a long-term opinion. In a way every human need can be a spontaneous opinion, and every need can become a "chronic" opinion. The difference is that the chronic opinion doesn't come from the organism, it comes from some idea you cling to... You plan to have an opinion, in a way. So, I think situational opinions could be ok, since there is no way getting away from them.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

I have no opinion about this topic.

Epiphany

I am much less opinionated than I used to be, which I think is a good thing, because my opinions weren't founded on certainty of truth, but mere speculation and belief.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I don't think being opinionated and being open minded are mutually exclusive.

Enneagram
    9w8

It could be difficult for a person to have a strong opinion on nothing... but the willingness to acknowledge that one's opinion is not necessarily the only worth hearing can allow for a more open view, as well as the ability to see and take in more, as arguing one's position can seem to draw a shade over the eyes and ears.

The louder a person speaks, the less likely it can be for them to hear what another is saying... and this applies mentally, as well. Internal preconceptions on a subject, person or idea can certainly affect whether or not one pays attention to new information which perhaps contrasts those beliefs previously and currently held on the matter.

MBTI
    iNfj

I dont think indifference or getting in other people's business is what this is about.
    I could be wrong, but think opinion here means more judgment.

I think the issue is what a person's reaction is when they perceive something. If they are opinionated or ?judgmental? and immediately compartmentalize the thing/situation/cause into their existing mindmap then this must limit self-improvement as most would probably admit would frame of reference can always be improved.

I think the comment about the world being dull without opinions may illustrates that you two were talking about two different things.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

An opinion can be a place-holder conclusion until there is more information. It is possible to have an internally open thought system that never concludes 100%, but maintains a somewhat agnostic view. This is not to say that everything is 50% likely, but that some conclusions may have enough proof to have negligible doubt, while other conclusions are barely hypotheses. Sometimes it is possible to have multiple hypotheses about an idea.

When it comes to the practicality of living, any action requires some degree of conclusion. The difference in open or closed opinion is the way one adapts to new information, even if it is in conflict with previous information.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)