First 123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

If you got into a heated argument about this for a while, you clearly have strong opinions about not having opinions.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by eternal recurrence View Post
    I think the issue is what a person's reaction is when they perceive something. If they are opinionated or ?judgmental? and immediately compartmentalize the thing/situation/cause into their existing mindmap then this must limit self-improvement as most would probably admit would frame of reference can always be improved.

I think the comment about the world being dull without opinions may illustrates that you two were talking about two different things.
    Yeah, that seems about correct. But my idea was that all opinions (whenever you say something is good or bad) limits the perception, and this makes the question so wide that it's hard to say if we were talking about different things.

At some point we got to some kind of common ground, since he took his point of view far enough to consider it an opinion to choose not to starve to death (by making the choice to eat every day). This wasn't exactly what I was going for, since I don't count it as an opinion. I guess from that perspective I couldn't anymore argue my case. I mean, I have to admit that it is an opinion to value life over death.

But I guess my idea would hold up if we make the distinction of spontaneous and long-term opinions. I guess that was the missing link in my logic... He thought about all opinions, while I had already filtered out the spontaneous opinions without even realizing it (which is pretty ironic, actually).

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    If you got into a heated argument about this for a while, you clearly have strong opinions about not having opinions.
    Which was pointed out several times during the discussion... I don't mind being a paradox... It's just an ideal...

if opinions are judgments-even judgments made in the moment about which food to eat when given a selection of foods-well I suppose with each instance of judgment we Si folks may codify our understanding into something more and more concrete-thus limiting our open mindedness.

Wonder what the Ni folks do? If with each instance of judgment they nail down they pick a particular context path as being valid....well i guess that perspective becomes more validated? So that perspective gets used more often? Thus also limiting?

But whoever said above-the part about the louder you speak, the less you can hear-that is totally true.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    if opinions are judgments-even judgments made in the moment about which food to eat when given a selection of foods-well I suppose with each instance of judgment we Si folks may codify our understanding into something more and more concrete-thus limiting our open mindedness.

Wonder what the Ni folks do? If with each instance of judgment they nail down they pick a particular context path as being valid....well i guess that perspective becomes more validated? So that perspective gets used more often? Thus also limiting?
    The opinions I'm trying to describe are somehow more "constructed", they are more thoughts than the immediate choosing. For example, a vegetarian would have a more constructed opinion since there are different components than just the unconscious or semi-conscious choice. They will connect the food they eat to the animal being in pain or possibly to the extinction of the species, in other words they make the choice more abstract than someone who just picks one of the plates because he feels like it.

EDIT: Have to add, however, that it must be pretty quick that the constructed choice turns into a just-feels-like-it choice. I stopped eating red meat because I cooked a lot with my room mate who is almost vegetarian and soon I realized I had stopped buying red meat altogether, even when I wasn't cooking with him.

EDIT no2: Don't know where that leaves me then... If a constructed choice limits perception, and then turns into an unconscious preference, does that mean that the world view is limited permanently after that? So, you would have to find a way to get rid of these perception blocks also, it's not good enough to get rid of the opinions. Or...?

MBTI
    INFP

Happy near birthday, Annwn. I like the quote from Thich Nhat Hahn that you have in your signature. I have been the recepient of that and have been grateful.

I had a thought about opinions here but somehow it didn't get posted. I can't assemble it again right now, so may be back later..

MBTI
    iNfj

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    The opinions I'm trying to describe are somehow more "constructed", they are more thoughts than the immediate choosing. ...?
    I think this is key. Its not about letting go of making the simple choices of everyday life. that seems ridiculous. its about letting go of your interpretations/judgments of everyday life. E.G. if you see <insert something that you have a strong opinion on> what are your thoughts and would letting go of that strong opinion improve yourself?

If a constructed choice limits perception, and then turns into an unconscious preference, does that mean that the world view is limited permanently after that? So, you would have to find a way to get rid of these perception blocks also, it's not good enough to get rid of the opinions. Or...?
    i believe that there are ways to slowly work at ridding yourself of perception blocks.
    i tend to think it probably produces happier people. does it seem to anyone else that strong opinions (+ or -) can tend to enslave people in irresolvable dramas

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

i believe that there are ways to slowly work at ridding yourself of perception blocks.
    I think that might be where the self-awareness comes in play. The hard part is that we would need to be aware most of the time.

i tend to think it probably produces happier people. does it seem to anyone else that strong opinions (+ or -) can tend to enslave people in irresolvable dramas
    Yeah, it seems like that's the case. But I think that these people actually want these dramas in a way. Even if they suffer while living through them. Well, think about any environmentalist who really is doing something. They will sacrifice a lot to make it possible. The documentary about the crew of the Rainbow Warrior comes in mind. Most of the activists had obviously had to give up a lot to do what they did, but it wasn't like they were sorry about it. But still, there was this feeling that now that they are getting old, they still were in the drama. It's not like it will ever stop. One of the guys was really angry about not being able to change anything, but I guess he had already given up the idea that change is possible.

It might seem like I am saying "let's do nothing and see where it goes". That is partly true, but there's something else too. If we got rid of the distortions in our perception, I believe we could also achieve more. We could choose our fights better. And I am pretty sure that even if there wasn't any constructed opinions in our heads we could still see that there are different directions things can proceed, and we could choose from them the one that seems better.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

By thinking it's desirable to not have much of an opinion, that is an opinion in itself. To have no opinions at all is for all practical purposes impossible.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

^I think it is called deep meditation, or in some cases sleep, but entirely possible.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INTj

My point was that everyone who has extreme opinions about anything is limiting their own perception, and I argued that this is not a special case, but that any opinion will limit the things you will be able to see around you.
    I don't think you can generalize like that. If your bias happens to be in the correct direction, then it will help you get to the truth faster because time is not wasted evaluating useless data. Otherwise, it will slow you down.

There is an optimal balance between being indecisive and being too quick to jump to conclusions. I think it's a simple P vs J thing.